Thread: Oh dear oh dear...things are just getting worse and worse....

Thanks

Oh dear oh dear...things are just getting worse and worse....

Good evening.

The story so far....i got a raddy 9700, installed it, no 3d apps work (see other thread), tested it in a friends comp it worked, back in mine didnt work. I suspected it was a power issue. I unplugged everything unimportant and turned it back on, to find that 3d apps wouldnt work. I then plugged the stuff back in and turned it on.

Then I heard some crackling and some general smokey-ness along with a nice colourful flame. My hard drive had been set on fire and one of the chips is nicely melted. I dont think any other components in my computer are gone, but i dont have a good enough power supply to test them, and im not using the one that knackered my hard drive.

So basically...what do i do?
    The power supply is a 450watt Levicom (excitment guaranteed is there slogan.... ) it has a 24 month guarentee so i should be able to RMA that to them no problem.

However, what about the hard drive? Its a 60gb Maxtor, can i RMA it to Maxtor for replacement/fix? or can i get Levicom to cover the cost of the hard drive....(if that happens i may also get them to cover the cost of my dual A64 that it took out with it )

What are the chances of me being able to get replacement parts?

Thanks.
    Will.
    | XP1600-m | ASUS AN78X Deluxe | r9700 pro | 2x512mb pc37000 |

Sitting in a tin can. Far above the Earth.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blockers
    However, what about the hard drive? Its a 60gb Maxtor, can i RMA it to Maxtor for replacement/fix? or can i get Levicom to cover the cost of the hard drive....(if that happens i may also get them to cover the cost of my dual A64 that it took out with it )

What are the chances of me being able to get replacement parts?

Thanks.
    Will.
    I think you'd have to RMA each part to the respective manufacturers. If the goods are less than 1 year old, then RMA to the retailer from which you purchased. The hard disk issue really depends on when you bought it and what sort of warranty they offered: the last couple of years have seen hard disk warranty times slashed, although there has been such a backlash that they now seem to be going back up again. As I said, less than one year old, chase the retailer; longer than that, chase each manufacturer. Let us know how you get on.

Nomadd
    Support the OcUK Forum Free Speech Initiative: If you intend to register with the intention of posting defamatory remarks about OcUK, then please click here to return to the index. If you continue to register, and post any complaints or criticisms of OcUK, then your account will be immediately removed.

Thread Information