Thread: Brand new computers and precautions for Internet connections...

Registered+
    Thanks

Brand new computers and precautions for Internet connections...

Hi folks,

I have a new desktop (Evesham) and laptop (Dell) arriving later this week and will obviously need to connect them to the net. My old machine used to suffer horribly from spyware until I installed Norton Internet Security, Spybot and Adaware, and the Google toolbar.

I'll obviously need to connect to the net to download these things for the new machines and so I guess the machines will be vulnerable whilst I'm doing this. Well, I guess I could buy Norton from a store and load it before connecting - but then what about the updates? I'd still need to connect for those right?.

What's the best way to go about this without being shafted while I connect to the www?

Also, the Evesham is AMD64 based and I have heard rumours that I shouldn't download SP2 for Windows, though the reasons why were way over my head As the machine is only presumably being built this week it may be sent with SP2 already installed?

Any advice on these numerous questions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers folks

BigLad.

Thanks
    Couldnt you just download all the latest updates on the comp your using now and chuck em on a disk???? Oh and get the sasser virus and blaster virus fixes also

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    Firewall needed before you go on and you should be okay. A firewall will usually keep you safe while you get everything else. something like zone alarm should do for the short term you can then change over to something else later if you want.

That should keep you safe while you patch windows etc and get a virus scanner and things like spybot.

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Thread Information