• PSU:
      • Antec GREEN EARTHWATT 750W 80 PLUS BRONZE
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster CM690
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64bits

Question GPU noise and lower performance

Hi everybody

Since 2 days, my computer makes noise around my PSU/GPU at the moment I get on a game. It sounds like a buzzing noise and stops 0.5sec and goes again for another 5sec - repeat as long as Im on a game. ( bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz - stops 0.5 - bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz over and over again) The noise stops when I go on desktop or do what ever else than playing games. (Every games, even bf3, arma2, dayz, cod, etc.)

I went on BF3 and made a video with the command /render.perfoverlayvisible 1 to see how are the gpu/cpu usage and where should i focus to fix the initial problem.

Here is the video; youtube.com/watch?v=ysH-_TrrXeE

My GPU spikes at the same timing and never stops doing it, even on menus.

My CPU only does big spike when I'm switching menus, leaving desktop to go in the game or when i step back to the game from menu. During games, CPU usage seems normal but sometimes it spikes out from nowhere. Still minor spike but I'm not used to them. I cannot realy see if the lag comes from GPU, CPU or even the PSU but it is doing a buzzing noise since then.

My card temps seem pretty normal and same for CPU. (CPU idles at 28-33 and 51-55 max temp GPU 28-30 max temp 58-62)

Some people told me the buzzing sounds could be my PSU doing errors and not giving enough power to the GPU but I realy don't know how to look at it.

These lags seem very unusual and I don't know where's the source of the problem.

I went on MSI afterburner and hits fan at 0% and with lower settings or ultra setting the noise is still the same. Even lowering clocks mhz and stuff dont help. I looked at my bioS voltage and they seem normal.

I rebuilded my computer, clean my casing, reconnect every piece, update drivers, and still having the same issue.

What do i do now ? I dont wanna waste money on new part that might not fix that issue

Please

Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

Re: GPU noise and lower performance

Tried a spot of oil on the graphics card fan mechanism ?

Thanks
    • zavrocK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8350
      • Memory:
      • 2x4(8gb) G SKILL 1333MHZ
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 250gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 560 TI OC 2gb
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster CM690
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64bits

Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    Tried a spot of oil on the graphics card fan mechanism ?
    I never did this before but even if I put fan to 0%, I can hear the sound. It is not coming out from the fan
    Last edited by zavrocK; 13-03-2013 at 09:24 PM.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Sounds like coil or choke whine. Could be either the GPU, PSU or motherboard - roll a tube of paper to your ear and direct it at different components while a benchmark is running or something.

By itself it isn't usually a problem and most places won't RMA noisy components as faulty unless it's very disruptive (and often won't show unless you hit a certain combination).

The lag in games though is worrying, but you don't provide any details about it so tell us more!

Thanks
    • zavrocK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8350
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 250gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 560 TI OC 2gb
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster CM690
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64bits

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Sounds like coil or choke whine. Could be either the GPU, PSU or motherboard - roll a tube of paper to your ear and direct it at different components while a benchmark is running or something.

By itself it isn't usually a problem and most places won't RMA noisy components as faulty unless it's very disruptive (and often won't show unless you hit a certain combination).

The lag in games though is worrying, but you don't provide any details about it so tell us more!
    The noise is coming out mainly from the middle of the GPU, I can hear the buzzing noise but very very very very low from PSU.

@Kalniel Did you see the video i posted ? It shows netgraph for both GPU/CPU. If you need more info tell me how can I give more information to fix this

And how can I know if it is my motherboard that is making these kind of errors ? I have it since 1 month and everything was going all right since I get on a game and BANG noise came in very loud and stops to a moderate noise. (Got the last bios since a long time too)
    Last edited by zavrocK; 13-03-2013 at 09:24 PM.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by zavrocK View Post
    The noise is coming out mainly from the middle of the GPU, I can hear the buzzing noise but very very very very low from PSU.

@Kalniel Did you see the video i posted ? It shows netgraph for both GPU/CPU. If you need more info tell me how can I give more information to fix this

And how can I know if it is my motherboard that is making these kind of errors ? I have it since 1 month and everything was going all right since I get on a game and BANG noise came in very loud and stops to a moderate noise. (Got the last bios since a long time too)
    I haven't seen the video no, but CPU/GPU activity doesn't tell me anything about slow-downs. Under what circumstances are you seeing lag or lower performance?

edit: Just watched the video - I can't make out any slow-downs that you need to worry about. Different effects can cause different demands on CPU/GPU so the loading will naturally vary. There's a pretty major post-process effect that they seem to apply when you switch tabs in the menu, which I'm sure is the cause of the CPU spike. Nothing to worry about IMHO.

I mentioned motherboard just in case it was a power delivery component on the motherboard that's causing the buzzing, but from what you say it sounds like the GPU. The power regulators are just to the right of centre on the 560ti, so these could be buzzing. If you run 3dmark (2013) do you get more buzzing in the early tests which render at a very high framerate?
    Last edited by kalniel; 14-03-2013 at 09:58 AM.

Thanks
    • zavrocK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8350
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 250gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 560 TI OC 2gb
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster CM690
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64bits

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    I haven't seen the video no, but CPU/GPU activity doesn't tell me anything about slow-downs. Under what circumstances are you seeing lag or lower performance?

edit: Just watched the video - I can't make out any slow-downs that you need to worry about. Different effects can cause different demands on CPU/GPU so the loading will naturally vary. There's a pretty major post-process effect that they seem to apply when you switch tabs in the menu, which I'm sure is the cause of the CPU spike. Nothing to worry about IMHO.

I mentioned motherboard just in case it was a power delivery component on the motherboard that's causing the buzzing, but from what you say it sounds like the GPU. The power regulators are just to the right of centre on the 560ti, so these could be buzzing. If you run 3dmark (2013) do you get more buzzing in the early tests which render at a very high framerate?
    It does the same buzzing like if I was on a game. Some games like BF3 or skyrim make the noise louder. Everything is fine and stable except that I can still hear that noise coming out. I installed new drivers and my computer is way more stable...but i can still hear that noise that will get me crazy lol The noise isnt that loud, but I am very sensitive to those noises. I can cleary hear the same buzzing in the back of my case but can't realy say what pieces make that buzzing.

I unplug USB/speakers/monitor, etc. while the noise is there, but it doesn't help at all. At the moment, I'm realy about to buy both PSU/GPU pieces to end this crazy thing noise -_-

xodianbarr

Perhaps a) one of your fans is just hitting the wrong frequency, or b) the bearings are going on one of them.

My gpu has a recurring problem that it doesnt engage properly at bios when i first boot up. I have to immediately reboot in order to get it to initialise so it will be seen by the OS. Long and short of it is, try a swap out for your current graphics card with some other cheap card and note the difference. Its the best way to determine if there is an intermittent problem with it that you just cant pin down. At least then you'll know for sure whether its that or something else.

Thread Information