Thread: Reformat and reinstall eom Windows 98 SE

Thanks

Question Reformat and reinstall eom Windows 98 SE

Hi..... I live in Portland, Oregon, USA. I've made the decision to reformat and reinstall my oem version of Win 98 SE. Please don't be concerned about why I want to reformat. I've done enough research to decide not to go through the dozens and dozens of precedures (many of which I've already done) to fix my very slow system.

I found a comprehensive tutorial that shows how to repartition and reformat the HD and install Win 98. However, this is for Win 98, not Win 98 SE.

Here's the link:

http://www.pctechguide.com/tutorials/Win98Install1.htm

This site appears to be inactive and there is no way to contact them or use their discussion boards.

I especially needed the fdisk part. I intend to have only one partition, which is how my system is set up now, unless I get advice to the contrary.

My question is: Will this procedure work for Win 98 SE as well? I know the fdisk would be the same, but is the rest of the procedure the same?

If anyone knows of a site with a good procedure for using fdisk, reformating, and installing Win 98 SE, I'd appreciate getting a link.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Loves duck, Peking Duck! bsodmike's Avatar
    Thanks
    • bsodmike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Misc.
      • CPU:
      • Mac Pro 2.8 GHz (8-cores) / iMac 2.8GHz C2D Extreme Edition / MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 & 13.3" 2.26 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR2 kits on all systems / FB ECC RAM in Mac Pro
      • Storage:
      • 320GB + 3x 1TB, Mac Pro / 500 GB, iMac / 2x 1TB & 2x 2TB WD My Book Studio II, via FW800 to Mac Pro
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB (two dual-link DVI ports / Mac Pro)
      • PSU:
      • Misc.
      • Case:
      • Misc.
      • Operating System:
      • Mac OS X 10.5 (Mac Pro) / Mac OS X 10.4.11 (others)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Apple 23" Cinema HD / Dell FPW2408 / iMac 24" display
      • Internet:
      • 2mbps ADSL (Mac Pro) / 512kbps WiMax (Wifi/MacBook Pro)
    falvinp - mmm, fdisk is easy to use and I know how to do it etc but do not have a windowz box near by to get exact screen dumps to show you.

Sorry!

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    Quote Originally Posted by falvinp
    ...I especially needed the fdisk part. I intend to have only one partition, which is how my system is set up now, unless I get advice to the contrary.

My question is: Will this procedure work for Win 98 SE as well? I know the fdisk would be the same, but is the rest of the procedure the same?

If anyone knows of a site with a good procedure for using fdisk, reformating, and installing Win 98 SE, I'd appreciate getting a link.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
    98SE is basically 98 with better USB support and other bugfixes; the install should be the same. I tend to split hard disks into two or more partitions with one partition for the OS and other programs and one for data.

Thanks
    • Butuz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77 MPOWER
      • CPU:
      • I7 3770K @ 4.6
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS 1866
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3xR9 290
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10
      • Case:
      • Inwin H Frame
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
    Most 98SE CD's were bootable, so you can ignore the floppy disk stuff, and just go into your bios and set it to boot from the CD drive first, and then restart with the 98 CD in.

If you are not changing your hard disk, and are happy with your partition sizes (i.e dont want to change them) then you do not have to re partition your hard drive, Win98 gives you a choice of just formatting (wiping) your drive in its set up program and then a clean install will occur.

If your 98 SE CD is not bootable, follow that guide and you should be ok, as nichomach says, 98se is just 98 with a few extra wizards, all your current driver CD's etc should work fine (though you may want to re download the latest drivers for your video/sound/modem/network card/etc as newer drivers are usually better and less buggy.

Butuz

Thanks
    I just thought I'd give an update.................. Yesterday afternoon I repartitioned and reformated my hard drive. Where it had been all one partition, I decided to partition it into C & D......... Programs and Data.

The tutorial I used, as well as the advice from members of this board, was invaluable. I'm now in the process of reinstallig my programs.

I was able to do everything myself, including configuring my Ethernet card an re-establishing my internet connection, with no help from technical support.

The key is good planning. I spent at least two days backing up data, confirming I had software disks and keys, writing down various logins etc. It all paid off.

Again, thanks to all who gave me the great tips!
    Last edited by falvinp; 20-09-2004 at 04:07 PM.

Thread Information