Thread: VPN and internet passthrough issues.

Thanks

VPN and internet passthrough issues.

So i had one problem: getting internet to my laptop once connected to my vpn that I set up on my home server. Both devices run windows 8 and no additional software was used to connect. My router has vpn passthrough enabled so I already checked that. I have the necessary ports open and forwarded as I was able to connect.

new problem in trying to fix this problem: I now get a error 919 anytime I try to even connect. I go into the vpn properties and it is telling me there is no hardware capable of accepting calls installed. I read that a reset of the ipv stack can fix this, so I tried and it did not work.

Thank you for your help!

Thanks

Re: VPN and internet passthrough issues.

Hexites, this is an acquaintance of mine. We were going back and forth over Twitter so I suggested he drop a post in here where many heads might be better than just two!

A couple of additional points, he's using the Windows 8 VPN protocols and he's also using a dynamic IP since his ISP doesn't support static. The tunnel is up and running, it's just the internet pass-through that's failing, so I'm guessing the IP isn't the issue.

Dus, if possible did you try temporarily disabling the firewalls completely, just to be sure? Also, are you using a 3rd party firewall? If so, check that Windows firewall isn't sneakily misbehaving in the background.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks

Hi Galant,
    I did disable my firewall, and made sure that windows firewall is not "on" for any profiles. I also checked my process and services for it. My new problem is not really understandable. When I went to try with my firewall disabled something broke and now I cannot connect to the vpn at all. I get error 919 and in my investigation in the general tab of vpn properties it says "no hardware capable of accepting incoming calls" which I know is not accurate since I did connect before.

I think I will try to delete the incoming connection virtual adapter, restart and recreate the connection.
    Last edited by dus1988; 09-04-2015 at 05:33 PM.

Splash

We're going to need more data: what are you using to form this VPN? What type of VPN is it?

Thanks

Im just using the "create incoming connection" protocol via windows 8.1. I am trying to use it as a ipv4 tunnel and possibly a way to get access to my computers files remotely. I was able to connect via PPTN but as I understand it that is not secure so Id guess id like to connect via L2TP. The set up process never let me choose that info though. Now the vpn wont connect at any protocol

Thanks

Any error codes now?
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks

Im now getting error code 800 "The remote connection was not made because the attempted tunnels failed". I re-set up my client pc's connection to the vpn server and allowed it to autodetect. It got set up as a IKEv2 vpn. I will now try the other protocols to see if I can get back functionality that way.

Thanks

How're you getting on?

Does your router specify different connection types to enable/disable?

For L2TP this might be useful, just obviously change the connection IP settings to whatever matches your server rather than the service the site refers to - Setting up L2TP using Windows 8.1 Native Client

Oh and what model is your router?

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Your initial issue (no internet when connected to vpn) sounds like the old "remote gateway" setting on the VPN connection which I believe defaults to enabled and routes all your traffic to the remote location.
    You will want to disable that.

It may also be that it will detect the remote DNS servers and use those, my preferred method to get around that is to manually assign 2 DNS servers on the VPN connection, the first one will be your local DNS and the other your remote DNS.

Then you will need to ensure that the local and remote subnets do not clash and pray that both the local and remote subnets are not in the 10.x.x.x range as for some reason Windows will hijack the entire 8 bit subnet when you VPN to a 10.x.x.x address.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

Yeah, it does specify what kinds, there are 3, and I have all enabled. Think they were PPTP, ikev2, and L2TP. Router is a linksys n600 2500.

Thanks

I tried turning the default gateway setting off, and it didnt work unfortunately. therefor you are probably right about the DNS servers. This could potentially also be causing my new problem of not being able to connect at all. I.e. when I set up my original vpn server (and client) I did so at my house. This week I have been out of the house and teamviewer'ing in to mess around with it. So the newest vpn server has been created while away from the network and the client connection has been set up while on a different network so maybe the dns issue is still the cause?

Thread Information