Thread: System crashing (BSOD) within 5 mins of start up

Thanks

System crashing (BSOD) within 5 mins of start up

Hi, my 5 year old custom build has recently developed a massive problem. It is BSODing within 5 minutes of start up, sometimes quicker, sometimes slower. Often it seems like it will crash faster when a few programs are open. It started crashing intermittently about 2 weeks ago, by 1 week later it was constant. The error codes on the Win 8 BSOD seems to be different each time, but include "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA".

At first I thought it was the RAM. I've tried each RAM module in each RAM port and some combinations do make it crash faster (sometimes at BIOS and during startup). One of the modules of RAM seems to work the best (consistently loads Windows), but all of them crash in the end.

Then the network port has stopped working (there are two on the MoBo and both have the same effect). Whether set to auto IP settings or manual, it's not setting a Default Gateway or DNS. So it fails to connect to the network and internet. This behavior has only just started 4 days after the crashing started. I have no idea if it's related, but nothing else has changed.

If not the RAM, then could it be the MoBo? Any ideas on how best to test?

The system is Windows 8 Pro (x64)PC, with wired connection to a router then the modem.
    - 3x1Gb Corsair DDR2 XMS2-6400 800Mhz [originally 4Gb and one of the modules fried a few years ago]
    - 2.66Mhz Core2 Quad
    - MoBo: ASUS P5N32-E-SLI, LGA 775/Socket T
    - Graphics Card: Nvidia Gforce 8800 GTS
    - HD: Wester Digital Raptor WD15
    - PSU: Zalman 1000W [ZM1000-HP]

Any help appreciated!

------------

EDIT: Solution seemed to be:
    1. Replace RAM
    2. Physically removed Hauppauge WinTV TV Card
    3. Power down PC (remove plug & LAN). Boot up, plug in LAN
    Last edited by foaf; 04-07-2013 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Added solution

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Kingston 3600 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Aorus 1Tb NVME SSD, Samsung 1Tb 970 Evo SSD, Crucial 2tb MX500 SSD, Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1300W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 27" XG2703-GS
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

Re: System crashing (BSOD) within 5 mins of start up

It sounds like it could be RAM issues, or possibly PSU related. You could try testing the RAM with Memest downloaded from here: http://www.memtest.org/

You don't mention the model of PSU you have, but if it's 5 years old, it could be on its way out. Do you have another PC you can swap the RAM & PSU with, to see if it solves the problem? It's always handy to have spare bits lying around for troubleshooting

Edit
    ----
    Just re-read your original post - you mentioned one DIMM being fried a few years ago, which could result from unstable voltages from the PSU. If it's a relatively low-spec unit, my guess is that's the culprit...
    Last edited by MrJim; 29-06-2013 at 10:47 AM.

Thanks

Hi Jim, thanks for the reply. I have added the Zalman 1000W PSU to the specs above, it wasn't cheap, but as I understand it the quiet design was always more likely to result in errors down the line. I don't have a spare PSU with the same power connections unfortunately.

Today I have tried memtest, but can't get it to boot from USB which is annoying. The PC also seemed to crash more when hot.
    Tempted to buy a new PSU to see what happens.

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Aorus 1Tb NVME SSD, Samsung 1Tb 970 Evo SSD, Crucial 2tb MX500 SSD, Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

Well, it's certainly not an under-powered PSU. I would have thought the Zalman PSU to have been of reasonable quality, but you never know.

It's possible of course, that the instability is due to software problems - have you installed any new programs or drivers recently? You could try using System Restore to revert back to an earlier state in order to see if that helps? It's probably a major hassle, but before buying another PSU, you could always try re-installing Windows...it'd be cheaper, at least

Regarding memtest - you can always burn it to a CD & boot from that, if you have a CD writer?

Edit
    ----
    A few further thoughts: Is your system overclocked? Have you check obvious things like air-flow (the CPU cooler fan, system fans, etc)? You could check your BIOS settings and make sure the voltages to the CPU, RAM etc are all correct? What are the temps like in your system both when idle, & under load?
    Last edited by MrJim; 29-06-2013 at 03:25 PM.

Thanks
    • big_hairy_rob's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z170-A
      • CPU:
      • Intel I5 6600k
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence (3000mhz)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 500GB, WD Blue 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Radeon R9 275
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 550W (80 plus Gold)
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design S (Windowed)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64.
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite E24B3HS 24", LG Flatron L1950SQ19"
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet (infinity)

If you have a spare hard drive, consider doing a fresh install and see if this experiences the same problem. This could also be a hard drive on it's way out, but usually you would be able to hear that as the majority of fails have been mechanical

If this isn't software then I would suspect that if this is happening after a certain point (after boot), then something either requires getting warm or power and takes that long to actually replicate the fault, either memory, cpu, north/south bridge(mobo) hard drive or gpu would be the most likely culprits. I suggest also borrowing a different GPU and ram and try and replace a part at a time until you think you have located the failed module.

Thanks
    • big_hairy_rob's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z170-A
      • CPU:
      • Intel I5 6600k
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence (3000mhz)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 500GB, WD Blue 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Radeon R9 275
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 550W (80 plus Gold)
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design S (Windowed)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64.
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite E24B3HS 24", LG Flatron L1950SQ19"
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet (infinity)

If you have a spare hard drive, consider doing a fresh install and see if this experiences the same problem. This could also be a hard drive on it's way out, but usually you would be able to hear that as the majority of fails have been mechanical

If this isn't software then I would suspect that if this is happening after a certain point (after boot), then something either requires getting warm or power and takes that long to actually replicate the fault, either memory, cpu, north/south bridge(mobo) hard drive or gpu would be the most likely culprits. I suggest also borrowing a different GPU and ram and try and replace a part at a time until you think you have located the failed module.

Thanks
    • Willzzz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • PSU:
      • FD Newton R3 600W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 350D

Use HCI Memtest to check memory in windows.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Are you sure 1 ram module behaves differently to other? Especially if you have tried them on their own in the same slot each time.
    If you are, then then that is your avenue of investigation. They should behave the same, which would imply at least one of them is faulty.

If they are more random than you are implying and it does happen faster when hotter, I would suspect the CPU, which is where the memory controller is located.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • flearider's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asrock taichi x370
      • CPU:
      • ryzen 1700@4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16gb gskill flare cl14 3200
      • Storage:
      • 500mb 850 evo + 1tb hd space
      • Graphics card(s):
      • gigabyte r9 290
      • PSU:
      • evga 850
      • Case:
      • LD PC-V8 ATX/HPTX Red 2xtripple 1xquad rads
      • Operating System:
      • win 7 ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • toshiba 32"
      • Internet:
      • 65 d/30 up ee

if it's when the pc is getting hot!! then try reapplying your tim arctic silver or ceramic does not go hard .. could be that .. clean all fans ..
    take everything apart and put it back together .. clean behind the board .. use just one stick of mem does it still happen use the other .. try error checking hard drive with bad sectors checked ..
    What does it matter now if men believe or no?
    What is to come will come. And soon you too will stand aside,
    To murmur in pity that my words were true
    (Cassandra, in Agamemnon by Aeschylus)

To see the wizard one must look behind the curtain ....

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.85).aspx

Suggests it's memory related. Unfortunately this could be CPU / GPU or the L2 cache on the Processor according to the link:

Quote Originally Posted by Link above
    Cause
    Bug check 0x50 usually occurs after the installation of faulty hardware or in the event of failure of installed hardware (usually related to defective RAM, be it main memory, L2 RAM cache, or video RAM).
    Another common cause is the installation of a faulty system service.
    Antivirus software can also trigger this error, as can a corrupted NTFS volume.
    My money is on the GPU, it's nVidia 8 series which had reliability issues. Since it's one of the easiest things to check I'd try and borrow a known working GPU. Given the crashing nature it's probably safer to switch the cards before attempting to uninstall drivers (disconnected for the internet to stop Windows auto-installing drivers on load up).

The system is also 5 years old, so unless you've cleaned it since then could probably do with a thorough cleaning anyway. Blow out all the dust, specially from the GPU and CPU heat sinks.

Thanks

As the network ports have gone down and you get random but regular crashes I would bet the nvidia 680i chipset has burnt out.

Thanks

Hi everyone OP here. Sorry I've neglected this thread, I've been actioning some things...
    1. Tried to reinstalled Win 8 Pro, the system crashed before getting anywhere.
    2. Replaced RAM modules with 2 x 1Gb (similar spec)
    3. Reinstalled Win 8 Pro - system is now stable, but dual LAN ports do not work.
    4. Reinstalled Win 8 one more time to double check LAN ports were not a software issue.

The network ports seem to have a DHCP error, registering an IP address of 169.x.x.x regardless of what I do. After researching and trying everything I found, it won't work. So a wireless adapter is on the way to me. I am confident the wireless will work as tablets, laptops and mobiles are all using the wireless on the same network currently.

So, with the above in mind, I am thinking that the PSU has somehow damaged 3x1Gb RAM modules and the LAN ports. Does this sound likely? Is the PSU likely to do it again?
    (NB: The PSU is connected to a power spike protected [UK] plug socket, so I also think it's unlikely to be anything related to the mains electricity)

Thanks so much for all your replies, I really appreciate it.
    Last edited by foaf; 04-07-2013 at 10:18 AM. Reason: poor grammar by me

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

Probably an obvious question, but have you checked that the ethernet adapter drivers are installed properly? They should be available on the Asus website. You should check the Device Manager & see if it's reporting any errors? The IP address problem is a strange one, as the network should default to obtaining the IP address automatically via DCHP. If you're sure the ethernet adapters are damaged, you could always add another one like this:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/dynam...i-express-card

It's difficult to say for certain whether your PSU caused the apparent damage to your RAM & LAN ports, unfortunately.

Snr Mbr I ain't that old
    Thanks
    • aramil's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570k delided CLU XSPC-Raystorm
      • Memory:
      • corsair vengeance 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 evo 250 Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GeForce GTX 980 Super Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • corsair tx750 v2
      • Case:
      • Zalman MS800
      • Operating System:
      • MS Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 27" 2560x1440
      • Internet:
      • 75-down 17-up

Easy way to test the lan ports is to boot off a live linux disc and try accessing the network.
    Intel i7 8700K delidded | Asus TUF Z370 Gaming Plus | Palit GTX980 SuperJetStream 4Gb | Samsung 840 EVO 240Gb | Samsung 1Tb F2 | WD 1Tb & 2Tb | Corsair 750TX v2 | 32Gb Corsair Vengence | Saitek Cyborg EVO F.S. | Zalman MS800 | Corsair K90 | AOC 27" 2560x1440 |AOC 24" HD | HTC Vive
    “This post was written using 100% recycled words.”

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

I found this thread on the Tomshardware forum which relates to Windows 7, but might be worth a try:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...-port-detected

They suggest unplugging the ethernet & power lead, switching on the PC & allow it to boot up, & then plugging ethernet back in. Might be worth a try?

Also, is your BIOS up to date? You could check that both network adapters are enabled in the BIOS.

All obvious things I know, but sometimes it's the obvious things that are the cause of such problems

Thanks

Back again with a few more tries:
    1. Removed the LAN ports from Device Manager. Windows seemed to just reinstall them immediately.
    2. I've flashed the BIOS with the latest update and still no changes. But I did turn on a LAN test setting in the BIOS and both ports register the following error message on boot:

*** Warning: LAN Cable Fail ***
    Please check the LAN cable has been connected to Onboard LAN correctly

Just in case I tested with 3 different Cat6 LAN cables (which I know to work on a personal server).
    3. For fun, I installed Windows 8.1 Consumer Preview, again, no changes.
    4a. In device manager I had a Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T 500 DVB T reporting an error, I uninstalled this and physically removed it.
    4b. I came back to this thread, and noticed Jims simple power down idea. I shut down the PC, removed the power lead and LAN cable. Left it off for over 30 seconds and pumped the power button 6 times (I read this might remove voltage from the MoBo). I powered on the PC, went into windows and then plugged in the LAN cable.

Bingo, the internet came back on

So I am pretty damn happy, and thanks very much to everyone, but in particular Jim who's been replying at every stage with ideas.

Just as a final summary, this still makes me think that both the problems were to do with the PSU in some way. However, the TV Card does seems to be causing an issue, as trying to use it again resulted in the LAN ports failing. I hope this thread can guide anyone else with similar issues. Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by foaf; 04-07-2013 at 09:55 PM.

Thread Information