Thread: Please help me to get networked

Thanks

Please help me to get networked

I really need some help to get my two computers (listed below) to talk to each other.

Here is the setup:

On both computers, WindowsXP SP2, Windows firewall off, Zonealarm on, RJ45 ethernet cables to a BT Voyager 240 4-port ADSL modem/router. Each computer has a unique name (workcomputer and playcomputer) within the same workgroup (MSHOME).

Both computers access the internet via www.e7even.com with no problems. I would like to be able to share files and a printer between the two computers. Workcomputer has two of its HDD's and a printer set up to be shared.

I've tried using the Network Setup Wizard but it doesn't do anything on either of the computers - I mean, I double-click on the icon and nothing happens. Its the same if I go to control panel/network connections/set up a small home or office network - nothing happens.

After spending most of yesterday trying to find out why my computers can't use Windows' network utilities it seems as if its because I need to enter a network password when logging in when Windows is started. BUT, I don't have this option. Windows never shows the 'network log-in' window when Windows is started. I just get the Windows log-in where I enter my username and password.

Anyway, at the moment the computers can't see each other.

Any help would be much appreciated. A link to a guide for dummies would be ideal.
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Socket 775 (3.0GHz), stock cooler, Gigabyte GA-EP43-S3L iP43 Socket 775, OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 Gold Memory, PowerColor HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card, Seagate 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache, Arctic Power 500W PSU, Hann-G 19" widescreen
    Kitchen Table Browser: Dell XPS M1330 laptop
    On the Road: Alienware M14X laptop

Thanks
    There's a sticky in Connectivity on Networking.

Thanks
    Yes, there are in fact several stickies there. I've been through all of them and none of them provide me with the information I need.
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Socket 775 (3.0GHz), stock cooler, Gigabyte GA-EP43-S3L iP43 Socket 775, OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 Gold Memory, PowerColor HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card, Seagate 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache, Arctic Power 500W PSU, Hann-G 19" widescreen

Thanks
    • Flibb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6300
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250G
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3GB MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr
      • PSU:
      • FSP
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Deffl TFT thing
    I normally run the network setup wizard off the win XP cd. If the cd autoruns I think its under additional tasks. Run that one machine and then the other.

Thanks
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media
    Ceefer - the best thing to do I found in this case is to say your router is IP 10.0.0.2 set the IP addresses for the systems to 10.0.0.3 and 10.0.0.4 respectively with the DCHP and DNS set to 10.0.0.2.

Then when you share the drives - it should see them automatically, if not then add a shortcut to the desktop with //pcname/foldername and see if that connects. If it does then you can map the drive so you login each time you load the PC.

Again, if you right click and share the printer - the other PC should pick it up, but if it doesn't then a simple shortcut such as above pointing to the printername should share it for you.

The following links maybe of help

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/.../troubleshoot/
    http://www.tipsdr.com/windows-xp-networking.html
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/

Hope this helps

Thanks
    Wildmonkey, many thanks for your reply.....but I don't know what you're talking about!! I'm sure your advice is sound but it suffers from the same problem (for me) as all of the how-to's, guides, step-by-steps and so on that I've been looking at for the last two days, and that is you assume a knowledge of networking that I just don't have!

For instance, you say "set the IP addresses for the systems to 10.0.0.3 and 10.0.0.4 respectively with the DCHP and DNS set to 10.0.0.2." - I have no idea how to do this. I know the IP addresses of my two computers (used ipconfig) but how does knowing or setting the IP addresses help me?

I've set up drives and a printer on my workcomputer for sharing but my playcomputer doesn't see them. In fact it doesn't see the other computer. I'm beginning to think that I made an incorrect assumption when I thought that having both computers hooked up to an ADSL modem/router would allow the computers to 'talk' to each other.

seen, but not often heard
    Thanks
    am i right in saying that both PCs can go on the internet??

and you know the ip address' of both machines?
    try going to a command prompt (click start, run, type in 'command' and press enter)
    now type in:
    ping x.x.x.x and press enter <- where x.x.x.x is the ip address of the OTHER pc.
    there should be 4 messages - hopefully along the lines of 'reply from x.x.x.x'
    to get the user password in XP (im assuming ur using xp on both PCs), go to users (its in control panel). there should be all the user accounts. and an option saying 'change the way users log on'
    if it says no reply or reply timed out/unreachable then its a connection issue...cable/dodgy port etc.
    try this from both PCs. (type exit and press enter to quit the command prompt)
    i hope this helps (or at least points you in the right direction)

Thanks
    Many thanks for all replies. I'm now away from my personal computers for two weeks.

dshepsman, yes both computers can access the internet OK via the modem/router. Yes, I know the IP addresses of both computers.

I will follow up on your advice when I get home from this goddam oil rig!

Thread Information