Thread: What have I done?

Registered+
    Thanks

Unhappy What have I done?

Friday my daughter had a dead machine, would not even get to a `post` screen, so I tried a new, spare, bare m/b with her processor, nothing! So I tried my processor in her m/b, nothing!, replaced my processor into my m/b, nothing! tried another processor in my m/b, ok.
    Conclusion: has my daughters m/b (dead) killed my processor? and my m/b?
    The new spare m/b is working fine with a new processor, so my daughter has her machine ok. I however am left with a dead processor (how/why?), and a motherboard that is to all intents and purpose deadish! Not wanting to do any more frying by trying other processor--m/b combination trials, I am left with the prospect of buying new: m/b, processor, and ram (products move onward and upward at a ridiculous rate nowadays!!), unless anyone has any bright ideas?????

Thanks
    Unfortunately, it does sound like you have a CPU-killing motherboard there. When you put your CPU in, did you run it on the PSU in your daughter's machine by any chance? A guess, but that may have been the cause for the board to go in the first place. Also, you say "tried another processor in my m/b, ok." but then say that your m/b is dead - is that right, or have I missed something?

Either way, it sounds like you have components to replace. I'd say, make the most of this; research motherboards and CPUs before buying, find one that suits you and your pocket, but still gives decent performance. A lot of people, myself included, in order to make the most of their CPUs, overclock them - AMD Mobile CPUs are known for their abilities in this field, and are a bargain for the amount of performance one can get out of them.

Either way, good luck. And also, welcome to the forums.

Thread Information