Thread: Red CPU light when I install my graphics card

Thanks

Red CPU light when I install my graphics card

I have a new build that works (booting into windows even) before I add the graphics card but shows a red cpu light on the asus mobo when I do (except on two occasions when it booted perfectly and then ran perfectly until I restarted)

I am not sure what I think the problem is, either something shorting onto the case when slightly bent by the graphics card being installed (though it matters not if the case is lying down or upright to if it boots or not) or possibly a power supply problem?

these are the bits I am using

520W Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 RS520 Modular, 85% Eff', 80 PLUS Bronze, SLI/CrossFire, Quiet Fan, ATX v2.3, PSU
    Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E SE With Black and White fan TY-143
    8GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Low Profile Jet Black PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.5V
    Intel Core i7 4770K, 1150, Haswell, Quad Core, 3.5GHz, 3.9GHz Turbo, 1250MHz GPU, 35x Ratio, 84W, Retail
    Asus Z87-A, Intel Z87, S 1150, DDR3, SATA III, SATA RAID, PCIe 3.0 (x16), D-Sub/DVI-D/HDMI, ATX
    4GB MSI GTX 760 Twin Frozr OC, PCIe 3.0 (x16), 6008MHz GDDR5, GPU 980MHz, Boost 1033MHz, Cores 1152, DPort/DVI/HDMI

into a Corsair 550D case also new.

Any feelings on what I can do? I did not install the graphics when I had it on cardboard as I fear the weight unsupported could bend things. is it worth trying that?

thank you

Thanks

Re: Red CPU light when I install my graphics card

First port of call is to take it out of the case and build it outside. What you're describing could easily be a short.

You won't bend / damage it unless you apply pressure. They are self-supporting to a degree.
    Lots of people use the motherboard box and have the edge of the motherboard where the cards overhang, simply overhang on the box itself by a few mm. It's hard to describe, but just make sure the bottom part of the metal on the graphics card isn't pushing onto the box, as this might lift it and push it out of the slot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Are you plugging in the PCI-E power cable? Try a different one if so, otherwise could be PSU - that's not a supply I'd recommend, but see if you can try a different card, or try the card in a different computer to check.

Thanks

both power leads plugs for the motherboard are plugged in, and both on the 760 graphics card.

Unfortunately I don't have a spare power supply leads to see if they are the problem. What about it would mean you would recommend it?

I will pull all the bits and try on cardboard, that is should be a pretty fundamental test I suppose!

Thanks

I pulled it all out the case and it did not work either.. so broken graphics or power supply! how can I tell :0

The fact that it has all worked together gives me some hope that the gfx is okay (as I would expect just total deadness from a broken card... but I don't really know if that is fair.)
    Last edited by fraggle_rock; 15-09-2013 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by fraggle_rock View Post
    I pulled it all out the case and it did not work either.. so broken graphics or power supply! how can I tell :0
    Swapsies. Try the graphics card in another computer, and try another graphics card in your computer.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • techlove78's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
      • CPU:
      • i7 2600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb GEIL Value Plus
      • Storage:
      • 160gb raptor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 6970 crossfire
      • PSU:
      • corsair RM850
      • Case:
      • cooler master CM 690 III
      • Operating System:
      • Windows7 ultimate 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG W1941S
      • Internet:
      • SKY

You could try removing the Graphics card then go In to BIOS, Advanced menu, System Agent Configuration, Graphics Configuration, you'll find Primary Display. I think it is set by default to Auto. Set it to PCIE, save, exit then try with the card again?

Thanks

Good point Techlove78 I will give that ago.

Current status is...
    Old card in new mobo WORKS
    New card in old machine WORKS (as in boots the win8 install disc... that machine has no hard drives now!)

I cannot try the old power supply in the new machine as it is 4 years old and so not haswell compliant (and only has one of the 6 pin power plugs where the mobo has two)

Not sure I want to try powering the card from the old power supply whilst the new supply powers the rest of the machine!

God damn this

Thanks

I had a closer look at my old power supply and it does have all the correct connectors... so I have built up with that... Unfortunately all the leads are too short for a bottom loaded power supply so I have had to macgyver it a bit!

However! it boots first time and seems happy!

So in conclusion... dead power supply but it must just be a milliamp or volt as when it did manage to come up it was fine.

TO THE RMA MACHINE!

Thanks

Also clearly I won't be wanting the same type as replacement. What should I be going for? for my setup?

i7 + 760 graphics card.

Thank you all for your ideas and support. It feels very lonely when a self build goes wrong

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

If it's only a problem on start up then sounds like it's a loading question - not drawing enough on the standby rail to kick start the rest of the PSU to start up perhaps. There might be some BIOS modes to help with that (disabling some power saving modes for eg.)

Any good 400-450W supply would be enough. XFX Pro, Enermax are all good, Seasonic all good, be quiet probably good. Antec true power are good.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/450w-...n-atx-v231-psu
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/400w-...ized-120mm-fan
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/430w-...iet-fan-atx-ps
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/520w-...an-atx-v23-psu

New corsair RM are making the right noises, but need to know more about them before I would recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by fraggle_rock View Post
    Thank you all for your ideas and support. It feels very lonely when a self build goes wrong
    That's what we're here for - we've all been there. I was defeated on my first build by plugging the floppy drive connector in upside down :/

OilSheikh

Check on the side of the PSU , how much Amps can it deliver on the +12V rail ?
    Then, check your graphics card's power requirements. You card must have the Recommended amount of juice

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    If it's only a problem on start up then sounds like it's a loading question - not drawing enough on the standby rail to kick start the rest of the PSU to start up perhaps. There might be some BIOS modes to help with that (disabling some power saving modes for eg.)

Any good 400-450W supply would be enough. XFX Pro, Enermax are all good, Seasonic all good, be quiet probably good. Antec true power are good.

New corsair RM are making the right noises, but need to know more about them before I would recommend.

That's what we're here for - we've all been there. I was defeated on my first build by plugging the floppy drive connector in upside down :/
    Lol same here with the floppy connector, back in 1996 and my first build, took 2 days to work out what it was, needed to install Dos from floppy before I could go any further...................

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post

Similar thing.
    First build, nervously/excitably put it together, plug in the wires, check everything is secure was just about to turn on when I noticed a wire dangling from the psu, thinking (or not) that it had to go somewhere I scour the mobo till I find a likely connection, plug it in. All set, I turn on, big spark, loud bang and a surprising amount of smoke, end of.

Did I feel daft, or what.

Thread Information