Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reseated my CPU. Still random shut offs!

See you space cowboy!
    Thanks

Unhappy Reseated my CPU. Still random shut offs!

Well hello again! Back to this again... Well, I concluded awhile back that the problem that was turning off my computer was overheatage of my CPU. I finally got some Silver Alumni and I took the fan off, and fully spread it over the Proccessor. I put the side panal back on then threw it back into my computer desk. 5 mins later to my suprise, it Shuts off! Also everytime I restart or turn my computer on, it says my CPU is either unworkable or has made a change and needs to go into CPU Softmenu and the Softmenu doesnt do anything. I just press F1 and it continues windows. I also remember an ealier thread of mine, when I asked the same question. Somone stated it might be the southbridge or something similar. I remember that being VERY warm. Does an overheated southbridge//northbridge (cant remember really[most likely south]) give computers shut down symptons as told?

Thanks a lot!!

Thanks
    Normally a overheating Northbridge chip can cause crashing,i glued an old socket 7 fan on the heatsink of mine that cured my probs.However your probs could be due to a number of things,the cpu error could mean you need a bios update,i've noticed this especially with Abit boards.Is the cpu overheating shutdown option enabled in your bios?Can you check the temp of the cpu from within the bios,is it usually high?Are you sure it's a hardware problem,what OS are you running?

Thanks
    cat what is your full current setup, if you want help we need to know this. also download speedfan (free, google it). it will show various temps such as NB,CPU etc and see if any look high.

need more info to help as it could be anything.
    btw try resetting the cmos(remove battery and move jumper while power lead is out)
    to get rid of unworkable CPU error.

Thanks
    I'm the one who told you it was the northbridge overheating causing it. I am sure of it. Just stick a heatsink on it

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogun
    I'm the one who told you it was the northbridge overheating causing it. I am sure of it. Just stick a heatsink on it
    So there isn't even a heatsink on the Northbridge chip? Shogun is right,the Northbridge overheating would cause the PC to fall on its face.

Thanks
    Run the PC with the side of the case off and if u've got one a desk fan pointing into the case, if it is over heating then this will probably fix it, in which case u know it is overheating and can then take apropriate action..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by invalidpagefaul
    So there isn't even a heatsink on the Northbridge chip? Shogun is right,the Northbridge overheating would cause the PC to fall on its face.

as i said if he tells us more info such as mobo,cpu then maybe we would know more.

See you space cowboy!
    Thanks
    NF7-S Mobo
    AMD Athlon 2400XP
    Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb
    Maxtor 60gig 7200rpm
    54x32x54 lite on
    a 52x cd drive
    2x256mb Corsair 3200 Memory
    Antec TrueBlue 480w PSU
    NEC MultiSync FE771sb Monitor

Sorry bout that m8's...
    Last edited by catattack; 01-10-2004 at 11:54 PM.

See you space cowboy!
    Thanks
    Oops... Computer is being weird

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by catattack
    NF7-S Mobo
    AMD Athlon 2400XP
    Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb
    Maxtor 60gig 7200rpm
    54x32x54 lite on
    a 52x cd drive
    2x256mb Corsair 3200 Memory
    Antec TrueBlue 480w PSU
    NEC MultiSync FE771sb Monitor

Sorry bout that m8's...

right dont think its NB overheating cos stock cooler while not great should be enough.still recommend you take it off and at least apply AS5 or similar,as there isnt much goop on it.better still lap the base of hs cos its concave rather than flat.

also did you install speedfan as i suggested to monitor all temps?

http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloadge...645693c3caf633

See you space cowboy!
    Thanks
    Yea I reseated it and everything. I put this Arctic Alumni on it. I evenly spread it over the chip and everything so yea its good to go. Oh and also I Just flashed my bios to the newest version. My temps say the CPU is 57 degrees f.

See you space cowboy!
    Thanks
    Alright well I installed Speedfan. It said my initial first tempature was only 47 degrees which to my knowledge isnt bad. So I had Kazaa on and AIM on like usual. I was also playing a little tiny game that doesnt take up the whole screen. In matter of a minute or 2 it just shut off. Why? Why meeee?!! What other ways could I look at this? Northbridge overheating? I dont know!

Side Problem: When I reseated my CPU, I restarted my computer and it says, "CPU is unworkable or has been changed. Please recheck - CPU SOFT MENU" I did and it looked fine to me. All I do is press F1 and it starts windows up regular. Now what is up with that?!

Oh and 100 thanks to everyone who's helping me.
    Last edited by catattack; 02-10-2004 at 01:46 AM.

Thanks
    download memtest86, make the bootable floppy and check memory thru a few loops.
    http://www.memtest86.com/memtest86-3.1a.iso.zip

the dl prime95 and run torture test.what is cpu temp under prime95?
    http://mersenne.org/gimps/p95v238.exe

need to rule out posible duff mem, or unstable cpu.

for the side problem did you try removing power cable,then battery, then move cmos jumper and reverse, to completely clear cmos.
    also have a look in bios and check what cpu speed its defaulting to and what vcore.

See you space cowboy!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pumbertot
    for the side problem did you try removing power cable,then battery, then move cmos jumper and reverse, to completely clear cmos.
    also have a look in bios and check what cpu speed its defaulting to and what vcore.
    Ok I dont get the bold parts

I know how to reset the cmos, maybe you just put it in a little bit more confusing way for me lol? Also... I do NOT have a floppy and I dont have any blank cds to make a boot disk for my memory. I've tryed it the cd way before and that didnt do much . On that note, I dont understand how it could be my memory, It's almost brand new and Corsair 2x256mb 3200 isnt bad at all for me.
    Last edited by catattack; 02-10-2004 at 03:12 AM.

See you space cowboy!
    Thanks
    CPU Core Voltage = 1.65v
    DDR SDRAM Voltage = 2.6v
    Chip Set Voltage = 1.6v
    AGP Voltage = 1.5v

CPU Over Temp. Protect = 90 degrees C

External Clock = 133MHz
    Multiplier Factor = x15.0

Hope this helps!

Thanks
    HAve you spread the alumina too thickly? It only needs a very thin layer to work, and if it is too thick this can cause overheating as well. Also check the stupid things like the fan is plugged in on the heatsink- i know that this can be a problem as I have done it!
    Not around too often!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information