Thread: Possible Dead System: Mobo,CPU or PSU?

Thanks

Possible Dead System: Mobo,CPU or PSU?

Hi,

Building a brand new PC from scratch. So everything is new.

Got a Asus a8v rev, athlon fx 55 and a targan 480w

1) I only connected the 12v wire into the mobo, had the ramm, gfx, processor in and tried turning it on with no luck, no post, bios etc, fans, mobo light came on but no beeps etc ..

2) Realesed I hadn't connected the 4 pin power connector, so switched psu off to 0 on the switch at the back, tried pluggin it in and my lamps blub flashed and looked like it was going blow, thought it was a bit wierd but carried on. Turned the psu back on, pressed the on switch and the fans, turned on for a sec then turned off. Tried this a second time and did the same, removed and re-inserted the atx power button/cable switch jumper then when i turned it back on the psu flashed and won't turn on anymore

3) Tried using a different PSU on the mobo, mobo lights turn on, fans etc.. but no post screen

I moved the gfx and ramm back in my old system and it works, don't know anyone with a socket 939 board or similair CPU so can't test them,.

Can anyone please help as its £700 worth of brand new kit and I have no idea what to send back or how to get the system working.

Thanks

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon-E-Durex

Tried this a second time and did the same, removed and re-inserted the atx power button/cable switch jumper then when i turned it back on the psu flashed and won't turn on anymore
    I'd say you've killed the PSU...

What rating was the PSU you tried after your 480W - as power going through the motherboard but no bootup would suggest lack of power.

Also ensure that no extra motherboard studs are in the case/touching the bottom of the board and shorting it out. (not teaching you to suck eggs btw - you probably already checked that)

Another possibility with your backup PSU is to remove all devices (optical, HDD, PCI Cards) and see if you can get a post then - that will definietly tell you if your backup PSU isnt man enough for the job...

I can't think of anything else right now...

Thread Information