Thread: 1st Build Problems.

Thanks

1st Build Problems.

Hi all, I'm having a few problems with this.

Yesterday I had a nightmare fitting my Alpenfohn K2 cpu cooler. Even though I now have this in place I'm unsure of the connections. I've put the 2 fans on the cooler and then connected the 2 fans with a 2-headed 4-pin connector. Now, I'm fairly certain I then connect the other head to the 'CPU_FAN' header. However, there's what the 'instructions' call a Low-noise adapter (7v) which I can't fathom if I need or how I would connect it.

I've just looked at my Superflower Leadex 750w gold psu and found that I've been given a foreign 2-pin plug rather than a 3-plug. Can I get a standard adapter or will it need to be a special one, or should I return it?

My Corsair Carbide 500r has 2 front fans which are connected to the front panel fan control. The cables then go from there and come out by the motherboard as (i think) a molex connector and a 4-pin connector. There's then a rear exhaust fan and a side intake fan which both have 4-pin connectors. Any ideas how I hook all these up correctly.

I'd really appreciate any help.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Re: 1st Build Problems.

Ooh, you're on this forum as well?
    I'll drop you a line about the 500R when I get home.

The other stuff I'll leave to those who know more than me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    Ooh, you're on this forum as well?
    I'll drop you a line about the 500R when I get home.

The other stuff I'll leave to those who know more than me.
    It's called desperation lol I have got some answers.. the rest i'm sorting through. The 500rs fan connections are messing with my head!

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

OK, I traced my cables...

There's a single cable with a 3-pin male connector from the front panel that does your side 200mm fan. Route this however you like, so long as you can easily disconnect the 200 when you take the side panel off.
    There's a second similar cable but with two 3-pin male connectors in series, that also comes from the front panel. The two front 120mm intake fans connect to these male ends, one each of course.
    Finally, the big 4-pin Molex connector goes onto one of the free Molex cables directly from your PSU. I have a Corsair H100, so I have a Molex cable going up the back of the case and into the top compartment for powering that. I routed the fan cables and the fan Molex up there as well and have 2 Molex connectors mid-cable for powering some sad, pathetic effect-lighting modules that I made up.
    NOTE: These fans are controlled solely from the switch on the front panel.
    Also note: These fans all use Corsair proprietary connectors, NOT standard PWM fan ones. If you want to change these fans for something else, it will be a 'mild challenge'.

The 120mm exhaust fan connects to whichever motherboard header you can best reach. Tidy the loose cable up when you're done to stop it catching. I'm lucky in that I can wrap mine around the fan housing and still reach my SYS_FAN header. This is a standard PWM fan and the only one controlled from the motherboard.

Thanks

I just wanted to say thanks for.....Woah! Hang on I'm getting a sense of deja vu. Almost like...I've had this conversation somewhere before...

Thanks
    • YoloSwag's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H61M-D2-B3
      • CPU:
      • Core i3-2100@3.1Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Kingston 4GB 1333Mhz
      • Storage:
      • WD Caviar Blue 500GB + Green 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA Geforce GTX 660 2GB SC Signature 2
      • PSU:
      • FSP Raider 650W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake V3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP x2301

You don't need the 7W adapter, it's only needed if you want your fan to not go loud.
    2 pin plugs for the PSU aren't really any trouble because in a 3 pin plug, the 3rd pin which is the middle round one is just for ground.
    -You don't like the cable included? - You could request a different one if they're generous enough to give you one or you could just by one.
    Having trouble with fans in the case? - Plug it to your PSU instead of your motherboard

That's it

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Kingston 3600 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Aorus 1Tb NVME SSD, Samsung 1Tb 970 Evo SSD, Crucial 2tb MX500 SSD, Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1300W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 27" XG2703-GS
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

As YoloSwag said, the 7W adapter is used to reduce the noise of the fans by reducing the voltage (probably from 12V). Ideally it's best to use a 4 pin motherboard fan connection, as this allows you to control the fan speed via the BIOS or software which came with the motherboard, & regulate fan speed with temperature. If you've never put fans on a heatsink before, it's important to get them the right way around, ideally sucking air in from the front & blowing it out the back, preferably towards a rear fan which will extract the warm air out of the case.

Some suppliers sell hardware which is a 'grey import' in order to offer the lowest prices, which might be why you've got a European or US two-pin mains plug rather than a 3 pin UK one. If you know what you're doing, it's easy to just cut the moulded two-pin plug off & wire in a UK plug top, but I do emphasise that you need to know what you're doing! You don't want to electrocute yourself, after all. The easier option would be to either contact your supplier & request a UK cable, or buy one from Amazon or such for a few quid. I was under the impression that EU regulations now require the correct plug types to be included with new purchases, but I could be wrong there.

Thread Information