Thread: Windows 8.1 Pro PC crashing a switch?

Thanks

Windows 8.1 Pro PC crashing a switch?

Hi Guys, bit baffled by something at work. We recently bought a new desktop running Windows 8.1 Pro on an i7 4790, 12GB RAM etc. to be used for some graphical work. After going through the usual initial Windows config I connected it via cable to an RJ45 port and a number of other PC's in the office lost network connectivity. At first I didn't think it was the PC doing it. Thought it was something else but after a while of trying a few different things a colleague and I narrowed it down to that PC. Whenever it's plugged into the network it does something which is only resolved by restarting the switch (24 port, unmanaged). There are actually 3 switches in use, all 24 port and all unmanaged but only PC's sharing the same switch as the new PC lose their connectivity.

We also noticed that it has some sort of knock-on effect to the two Cisco routers which act as a gateway and provide internet. They seem to freeze. Again, at first we thought it was a router problem, but we determined that it is restarting the switch which solves the issue, not the routers.

We do have one other Windows 8.1 PC on the network and it's been fine.

I've tried disabling IPv6, and also the wifi and bluetooth which came built-in with the PC.
    None of the other adapter options look particularly odd so I haven't changed anything but I suppose it could be some sort of Windows 8.1 networking function, or adapter function, which is interfering.

Anyway, I'm slowly coming to a loss on this one, and wondering if anyone had any bright ideas?

Thanks.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks

Re: Windows 8.1 Pro PC crashing a switch?

Alright, so I've further narrowed it down to certain network adapter settings.

If I enable LLDP and/or the Topology Mapper it will cause the switch to crash almost immediately.
    We have another Windows 8.1 PC with those functions enabled and there are no problems, so maybe I have a bad adapter?
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Galant View Post
    Alright, so I've further narrowed it down to certain network adapter settings.

If I enable LLDP and/or the Topology Mapper it will cause the switch to crash almost immediately.
    We have another Windows 8.1 PC with those functions enabled and there are no problems, so maybe I have a bad adapter?
    Sounds like there is a loop to the ethernet socket. Have you connected any other machines to the socket?

don't stock motherhoods
    Thanks
    • Millennium's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD 3600x @ 3.85 with Turbo
      • Memory:
      • 4*G-Skill Samsung B 3200 14T 1T
      • Storage:
      • WD850 and OEM961 1TB, 1.5TB SSD SATA, 4TB Storage, Ext.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3070 FE HHR NVidia (Mining Over)
      • PSU:
      • ToughPouwer 1kw (thinking of an upgrade to 600w)
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 101 Home 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HiSense 55" TV 4k 8bit BT709 18:10
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone 12 / month, high contentions weekends 2, phone backup.

While I would agree with coak333 that this sounds on the surface like a motherboard NIC hardware fault, if you narrowed it down (I.E eliminated it) with configuration for some settings, my advice would be to leave the settings at their best options and let the motherboard manufacturer know the problem.

You didn't mention if you disable LLDP and the Topology Mapper if it won't crash, if that's the case, I would do that and let the mobo manufacturer know the bug//issue.

Sooo- great troubleshooting and best of luck.
    hexus trust : n(baby):n(lover):n(sky)|>P(Name)>>nopes

Be Careful on the Internet! I ran and tackled a drive by mining attack today. It's not designed to do anything than provide fake texts (say!)

Thread Information