• Case:
      • Haf-x tower
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell u2410
      • Internet:
      • broadband with Plusnet

Re: Scanning film negatives

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    No, you can't convince me, any more than I expect to convince you, in no small part because I stuck with the dedicated film scanner route, and an academic argument about V750 is of no interest to me or, no doubt, virtuo.

That said, the V750 has an optical resolution of 6400dpi in film mode. I presume by "true" resolution you mean the effective resolution of a resultant scan, the degree to which it would be able to match the results from a drum scanner?

The problem with that is that you then have a multitude of variables in the mix. They'd include how the film was mounted, how well it was mounted, what software was used, what settings were used, any issues with the film itself (like curl) which in the absence of wet-mounting will vary, height adjustment of holders if not wet-mounted and even manufacturing variances from scsnner to scanner.

The V750 is a match for a drum scanner for the purposes to which most people will put it. If you're a professional preparing a cover spread for Vogue or a 10ft wide print for a corporate HQ boardroom, you're probably not going to be using a V750, but then, I doubt you're using 35mm film anyway. More likely a Hasselblad with digital back or, yeah, medium format film and a drum scanner.

It's the same argument as a BMW M3 being no more functional than a VW Polo if you're using it to queue non-stop through traffic to get to the supermarket, despite the M3's power, performance, handling and comfort advantages. In fact, for that, I'll pick the Polo every time.
    You can convince me if you can show a few reliable websites for what I say about film and scanning\scanners is wrong....and I will admit my mistake in the next post.
    2nd computer gigabyte P965ds3p, 7770 E2140@2.9ghz, corsair HX520 6 years stable, replaced now with E8400@3.9ghz and will overclock more when I'm bored.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by excalibur2 View Post
    You can convince me if you can show a few reliable websites for what I say about film and scanning\scanners is wrong....and I will admit my mistake in the next post.
    I'm not sure that convincing is relevant. You have two differing points of view. Saracen's is based on pragmatism and what will work for a specific set of circumstances, having due regard to real world effects that may degrade images, and a more subjective view.

Yours is based on absolute measurement, taking only into account the absolute quoted specs of various items of equipment, perhaps a more objective view.

Both are valid, yours more so if you have a limitless budget and no defined requirement for the final result.

Saracen's is more realistic in the real world, taking into account process imperfections, and a defined purpose for the finally scanned image.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • excalibur2's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z77-d3h
      • CPU:
      • Intel 2500k @4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2X4gb Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • WD 2tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 750
      • Case:
      • Haf-x tower
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell u2410
      • Internet:
      • broadband with Plusnet

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I'm not sure that convincing is relevant. You have two differing points of view. Saracen's is based on pragmatism and what will work for a specific set of circumstances, having due regard to real world effects that may degrade images, and a more subjective view.

Yours is based on absolute measurement, taking only into account the absolute quoted specs of various items of equipment, perhaps a more objective view.

Both are valid, yours more so if you have a limitless budget and no defined requirement for the final result.

Saracen's is more realistic in the real world, taking into account process imperfections, and a defined purpose for the finally scanned image.
    Well yes and I would guess the original poster uses a digi camera....and as he says just wants to scan some old negs. BUT there are still some film users around that take using film seriously and want to get the best out of film, and I'm just one of them as I don't have digi camera (well I do have a very old digi compact, given to me, for quick shots of gear for posting ).
    2nd computer gigabyte P965ds3p, 7770 E2140@2.9ghz, corsair HX520 6 years stable, replaced now with E8400@3.9ghz and will overclock more when I'm bored.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

interesting thread - Scanning my negs is something I need to get round to. No wisdom to add, but signing on so I can find it later.

Thread Information