Thread: K....

Registered+
    Thanks

K....

I'm new here, but I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a problem I've been having. It's probably quite simple, but I've tried quite a bit to deal with it. When I try to play Age of Empires II: The Conquerors online, when I try to host a game and sometimes join a game using tcp/ip connection, it wont let me do it. I think it's a network problem. I'm on a LAN. I was wondering if anyone has any idea how to deal with this problem. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Marmoset Warrior
    Thanks
    I'm guessing that you're using a DSL connection.

If so, either your router (if you have one, which you probably do being on a LAN) has it's ports blocked (so it won't let anyone connect through the game ports to play on your server) or you have a firewall running, that is blocking the ports.

That seems to be what your problem would be.

Xcelsion... In Disguise. Xaneden's Avatar
    Thanks
    Firewall. Simply put, if you have Windows XP SP2, you'll get a pop up that asks whether you want to allow or block AOEII from connecting to the internet. If you select allow, all will be well.

If you are still on SP1 or RTM, you'll need to configure it yourself. Consult the manual, it should tell you what ports are used. Then, you can go into network connections, right click on your internet connection, go to the fireall settings, and enter those ports as 'exceptions'.

Hope that helps.

Also, if it is a router, just enable all ports on it. You'll still have a firewall on your computer, so there is one line of defense instead of two.
    New Sig on the Way...

Thread Information