Thread: linksys wrt54g router, wireless problem

Thanks

linksys wrt54g router, wireless problem

hi, i just got a linksys wrt54g wirelss router. it came with a rj45 ethernet cable, which plugs into the back of the router in the internet port, and the other one to plug into the modem...trouble is, my modem (speedtouch 330) has only an rj11 connection on it.....im really stuck as to what to do now, as the router needs to be connected to the modem so i can get a connection...can anyone suggest a solutioin to this problem please? do i need a new modem?
    Last edited by bellyboy; 01-03-2005 at 04:26 PM.

Thanks
    cant you get a convertor at dixons?

egg
    Registered+
    Thanks
    The speedtouch 330 is a usb modem, unless there is a usb port on your router i don't think it will work. The rj11 connection is still used to connect to your phone line not the router. You need a broadband modem which connects via ethernet such as the D-link dsl 300 or a wireless router with a built in modem.

seen, but not often heard
    Thanks
    if its the router i think it is, it may have the modem built into it already.
    so all you need to do is plug the modem cable from the adsl box to the router.

unless there is a usb port on the router (and i dont think it does - been a while since i had one)

unless of course you bought a broadband router (ntl/telewest) so the cable connection (rj45) goes into the 'internet' port in the router, as opposed to a DSL router(BT - or normal rj11 connectors) which goes into the 'internet' socket.

i hope this helps a bit
    The Karl Pilkington of Hexus

Thanks

no it has no router built in

im getting somewhere now, i have 2 pc's. the first pc is connected to the router via my network card in my pc, seeing as i can connect it directly to my modem, im going in throught my network card n my pc, good, its connected fine.

the second pc i have is upstairs, with a wireless card...i have set the router up, my pc upstairs is connected to my wireless network, my router is assinging an ip address via dhcp no problem.

now im having trouble with my router detecting my internet connection. i have a static ip address, which i put in, then i pout my subnet mask in, but then it asks for my gateway.....and nothing i seem to put in works...any ideas???

Thanks

finally getting somewhere

right, from my machine upstairs now, i can ping the router, and it shows in windows i have an internet connection, it is enabled, and data is being sent, yet when i open internet explorer, i get page cant be displayed...i can ping my brothers internet ip address from my pc upstairs, but cant ping websites, het a message of "Unable to resovle Target system name"...cant ping any web sites either......anyone have a clue what the hell is going wrong?

internet explorer is automatically detecting my settings, if i turn that off, then i loose the internet connection icon.

Thanks
    How did you manage to connect the modem to the router?

I think you will either need a new adsl modem with RJ45 Out, or an ADSL Router.

http://www.ebuyer.com/

Quickfind code: 59951

Something like that, Although I heard that that particular model has some heat problems...

Hope that sort of helps

m0.
    Last edited by m0dm0; 03-03-2005 at 03:22 PM.

Thanks

gateway

i sent thr router back, bought a gateway, its all working now, networking is rather new to me, windows seems to be the problem with everything....i hate it!!!!!!

Thanks
    any fool can sort out networking in XP without even trying.... connecting to 98 and ME
    is annoying to say the least.

Thread Information