Thread: system shutdown/restart problem

Thanks

system shutdown/restart problem

Hi

Just a quick question, whenever I leave my computer on for long periods of time (5hrs +) and I try to shutdown the computer it seems to sit there doing
    nothing?

This dosn't seem to be a problem if I have the computer on for a couple hours. I was just wondering of this is normal? Or if there is any way of sorting this.

The only thing that I could think of was that there is something in the background so I checked by ctr-alt-del but it shows up blank?

The system is only a couple weeks old so if that makes any difference? If you need my system details let me know.

Gav

System Suspect
    Thanks
    Well it's not really normal, your PC shuld really shut down in roughly the same amount of time whether it's been switch on for 5 minutes or 5 days..Does it just sit there forever and never shut down or is it more of a delay?

Thanks
    Give us the system specs anyways incase there are known bugs with your motherboard or something like that.
    Cheiftech Matrix/xp 2600@ 2.3ghz/ Abit NF7 v2/1gb GEIL value dual channel pc3200@ 2.5-3-3-6/XFX 6600gt/80gb Western Digital boot disk/80gb maxtor for storage and games/LG cdrw/Nec 3500A

Thanks
    Do you mean it's as though you never tried to shutdown, or it just stays at the shutting down screen?
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Thanks
    Hi

Thanks for the replies, to be honest I have been a bit inpatient and forced the computer to shut down by pressing the power button! So it could of shut down by its self after a while?

Heres my spec:

Gigabyte K8NF-9 nForce4
    AMD 64 3500+
    MSI geforce 6800gt pci e
    1g pc3200 ram (could be geil not too sure)
    Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 250g
    Sony dvd rewriter dwu-22a
    Tagan TG480-U01 psu

Gav

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_w
    Do you mean it's as though you never tried to shutdown, or it just stays at the shutting down screen?
    To be honest its both, sometimes it shows the windows shutting down screen and stays there. And other times it stays on the desktop.

Thanks
    It could be that windows is corrupted, a re-formatt would fix it and if it's only 2 weeks old then you should not lose any important data and if so just back it up onto a disc or something. Sorry thats not particularly helpful.
    Cheiftech Matrix/xp 2600@ 2.3ghz/ Abit NF7 v2/1gb GEIL value dual channel pc3200@ 2.5-3-3-6/XFX 6600gt/80gb Western Digital boot disk/80gb maxtor for storage and games/LG cdrw/Nec 3500A

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnr892
    It could be that windows is corrupted, a re-formatt would fix it and if it's only 2 weeks old then you should not lose any important data and if so just back it up onto a disc or something. Sorry thats not particularly helpful.
    Thats for the reply, I might try a reformat. Just one other quick question if I carried on forcing the computer to shut down with the power button on the case could that damage the harddrive or anything else?

Cheers

Gav

Thanks
    I wouldn't do it for a long time, certainly not indefinately, could corrupt anything...wel not literally. Tell us how you get on after a re-formatt then if it is still happening then somebody with more experience than me wil help you.

Thread Information