Thread: single sata barracuda with asus a8v

Thanks

single sata barracuda with asus a8v

im kinda new to buildin computers and im havin major troubles gettin a single sata barracuda 200gb workin with my asus a8v dlux..ive made the driver promise floppy for sata .. ive done the whole press f6 to load the promise driver but its still nots not recognisin my drive.. its sayin there is no mass storage device attached blah blah, anyways ive had enuff and im off to sniff exgirlfriend's nik naks.. if you can help ill b eternally thankful

System Suspect
    Thanks
    So after you press f6 during the first stage of xp install it should say insert floppy containing the driver, do you get that come up?

Thanks
    yeh i get that come up... i install the promise sata driver and still nothing..

listen to escape fails :) luap.h's Avatar
    Thanks
    are there two sata controllers (4 sata ports) on that mobo? I know a mate who was tearing his hair out trying to get a sata controller recognised, but ended up he was using drivers for the other controller

Thanks

hhmmmm

i've tried all four ports and still no dice... windows is still sayin its seein no hdd.. at the mo im havin to use windowsxp loaded onto an eight year old maxtor 4gb hd. its truely lame. but havin done this the barracuda shows up in windows but i cant fathom how to use it as the boot drive

Thanks
    ive used the seagate startup wizard floppy thing... now my dos is sayin ntldr missing press ctrl+alt+del to restrt... so the plot thickens

System Suspect
    Thanks
    That sounds like the Pc is trying to boot from a drive with no windows on, so maybe it's seeing it now so try XP install again?

Thanks
    ok i got the xp install screens once again and im pressin f6 to load the drivers once again, but im still gettin xp tellin me it dont see the mass storage, xp still not seein the drive.. i'm back at the begginin.. guy from seagate thinks i need to fiddle the bios settings or that i aint usin the correct drivers, so i'll try that whilst crossin me fingers..... didnt work still buggered
    Last edited by space cadet; 26-02-2005 at 01:58 PM.

System Suspect
    Thanks
    Right so thets just confirm, so you have your sata driver disk, you press f6 during windows and it should then go through it's process of loading all the standard drivers and then right at the end should ask you to insert your extra driver disk into drive A?

Thanks
    yep yep yep... got it sorted .. realised i was still using the wrong drivers.. GROMIT IT'S THE WRONG DRIVERS! for anyone out there u need to use the (promise 378 sata+ the via 6420 raid)...... i think, it worked for me. many thanx to all who tried to help many said try the via raid, i didnt listen to the via and tried usin the promise raid , hence my downfall. id also like to say scan technical support stinx and the asus manual could be be much better written

Thread Information