Thread: Booting Problem, Please Help URGENT!

Thanks

Post Booting Problem, Please Help URGENT!

Hi guys,

have a P4 2.4 ghz pentium running on an abit IS7-G. Had this system for over a year and have been overclocking it slowly.

Now I clocked it to 2.8ghz with not too many problems, but last nite I clocked it to 3.0ghz, it booted up, went into win XP. and the display was a bit funny. I thought this was normal because it sometimes happens when the comp is cold.

So i restart and it doesnt boot. I reset the Cmos, unplug ATX controller, Cmos Battery, Power cord. wait about 2 mins. Plug everything back in .. and then it beeps like normal ,except it shows the CPU set at default to 2.4 ghx again and the RAM . Then thats it.. doesnt check the rest of the IDE channels.. .

Sometimes I can get it to check it, but thats as far as it goes.

I've had RAM problems in the past when I changed their settings, but I've usually bypassed it, and gone back into the bios and changed the settings back.

This time however, I just cant remember how I by passed it, and go straight into the bios, before it boots and checks everything else.

There is deifnately power going through the system and keyboard but its seems as if the keyboard doesnt respond and i've tried 4 diff keyboards.

System:
    P4 2.4 ghz
    512MB RAM Corsair 3500
    240 Gb harddrive
    ATI 9800 Pro 256
    Thermaltake Case.

Now I know the system is working somehow, but its just got muddled up. I've created a boot up disk with a bios flash on it. It knows that the bios can be flashed because sometimes it comes on screen but I cant activate it as the keyboard doesnt respond.... supposedly.

Please can anyone help as I need to use this computer asap.

Thanks !!

Thanks
    Is it a PS/2 keyboard? If so, you might get it to boot into BIOS with a USB keyboard plugged in. I had a similar problem with an Asus P3V4X motherboard and this was the only way I could get into BIOS.
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Socket 775 (3.0GHz), stock cooler, Gigabyte GA-EP43-S3L iP43 Socket 775, OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 Gold Memory, PowerColor HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card, Seagate 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache, Arctic Power 500W PSU, Hann-G 19" widescreen
    Kitchen Table Browser: Dell XPS M1330 laptop
    On the Road: Alienware M14X laptop

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceefer
    Is it a PS/2 keyboard? If so, you might get it to boot into BIOS with a USB keyboard plugged in. I had a similar problem with an Asus P3V4X motherboard and this was the only way I could get into BIOS.

thanks, havent been able to try that, as I dont have a USB keyboard. Am trying to get hold of one but until then, does anyone else have any other solutions.

Normally, resetting CMOS does the trick... but I heard that theres another way to reset the CPU clock speed.. Its very frustrating as its only working half way.

Thanks
    • Curly's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock 939-Sata 2
      • CPU:
      • Opteron 165 @ 2.52
      • Memory:
      • 2gb Geil Value Ram
      • Storage:
      • 900gb in various HD's
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 7800 gtx
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-R 580W
      • Case:
      • Globalwin
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung syncMaster 205BW
      • Internet:
      • 4mb Virgin Media Cable
    Quote Originally Posted by ragemydream
    Normally, resetting CMOS does the trick... but I heard that theres another way to reset the CPU clock speed.. Its very frustrating as its only working half way.
    try pressing the insert key while booting the machine, iirc that will re-set cmos to defaults.

hth, Curly

Thanks

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Curly
    try pressing the insert key while booting the machine, iirc that will re-set cmos to defaults.

hth, Curly
    Thanks curly, unfortunately, i've tried that solution aswell and the same thing is happening.

I think maybe either the mobo or CPU has gone. TBH my opinion is that if I've blown the CPU the system wouldnt even turn on, so I am thinking that the chipset itself has been corrupted and cant reset itself.

I've now tried a USB keyboard and it hasnt worked either.

Thanks
    • nimbu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • M3N78-EMH
      • CPU:
      • AMD 4050e
      • Memory:
      • 4GB (2x2GB) Cosair XMS DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 30GB Samsung SSD : 250GB Seagate ES
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Hyper Type R 550W Modular
      • Case:
      • Antec P180 Mini
    A very very very Long shot, Try taking the bios battery out, and unplug the psu as u did but for more then 2 mins, try an hour or so. Also have u made sure u have set the IDE channels to auto detect? Some mobos default to none.
    MAIN BOX: 4200+ @2.75 : Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe: XP120 + Papst: 2Gb Mushkin Redline PC4000: 512MB 7950GT: 2x36GB WD Raptors in RAID 0:WD 420GB : NEC DVDR/RW: All Wrapped up in a Antec P180

Marmoset Warrior
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ragemydream
    I think maybe either the mobo or CPU has gone. TBH my opinion is that if I've blown the CPU the system wouldnt even turn on,
    IIRC, if your CPU is faulty or broken, your system would still boot but the mobo would go mental (lots of beeps etc)

Thanks

Update

HI everyone,

Just to let u know, I took a gamble and bought a SFF barebone system, and put in the CPU from the old system and all the other bits.

After booting many a times, Nothing happened and as I was almost about to by a new CPU, I reset the CMOS and booted up and I received a checksum error.

Luckily I remembered when I first got this corsair RAM I had to change the CLS timings on it to get everything to run smoothly. and TA DA , it now works, Howevr I have two HDs in there and things seem to run a bit hot.

I have this program Speed FAN, and the readings from the sensors seem to be quite high, saying my HD goes up to 57 degreees.. am not sure whether to believe it.

Anywyas, the old mobo Bios must have corrupted completely and that will have to go into the bin. as it wont boot from disk.

so all in all , , a YAY and a NAY.

Thread Information