Thread: Hiper Type R 580 Watt PSU

Thanks

Hiper Type R 580 Watt PSU

I've been having a few problems with my system being noisey like a hair drier and have been blaming it on the stock P4 630 heatsink and fan. I solved a lot of the problem by simply removing the side of my case, I have a Coolermaster Cavalier 3 and have been blaming the lack of front ventilation holes.

One neat trick with the Hiper Type R is the way the exhaust fan continues to run after the PC has been shut down. It really is almost inaudible, so I wondered how much air a fan that quiet actually shifts.

I shut the PC down, went to see how much airflow I could feel, and I could feel nothing at all. I took my glasses off and stuck my eyeball right next to the exhaust fan, and could still feel nothing.

Being a smoker, I momentarily held a butane gas lighter up to the exhaust fan and the flame got sucked in?!?!?!

Now I tried looking for some notes on why it is this was round but cannot find anything.

I took the side of the case off and held my lighter up to the 120mm bottom fan of the PSU. The flame was blown away towards the P4 heatsink.

Now is it just me, or does the idea of the hot exhaust from a 580 Watt PSU being blown onto an already notoriously hot running CPU seem a little odd?

Is this really a design feature or does anyone think there is a mistake here?

Comments most welcomed.

Richard P
    icq3800846@hotmail.com

Thanks
    Me again, please feel free to ignore the above message. Have received an e-mail from Hiper to confirm this is a fault and my unit should be returned. My unit was bought from PC World and has a manufactured stamp date of April 05. Anyone else with this PSU might be advised to double check the airflow direction.

A small flame from a candle, butane lighter or match held at a reasonably close distance to the outlet will soon let you know which way the wind blows. For obvious reasons it is not advisable to use a widproof Zippo lighter.

Many thanks

Richard P

OC Junkie!
    Thanks
    • Wiczy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS M6H 1203
      • CPU:
      • 4770k @ 4.5
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo Pro 128 + MX100 256 + C300 64 + Assorted Mechanical Drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte R9 290X OC WF
      • PSU:
      • XFX 650W XXX Pro
      • Case:
      • old noname
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC Q2770 PQU + LG WG2353V
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet Unlimited Fibre 80/20
    I just mentioned this to a friend of mine and his is doing the same thing, hehe he couldn't figure out why his cpu temp went up after installing the new PSU.

Thanks
    I've been messing around with different heatsinks, and cursing CoolerMaster for bad airflow through the chassis. The Power Supply itself is well built and I really like it, my only problem is the advice from Hiper.... to take it back for an exchange. If your friends' one does what mine does, I would guess there is a high probability any replacement off the shelf from the same shop and same batch will do the same. Of course, if it weren't for the WARRANTY VOID IF REMOVED sticker, we could all just pop it open and turn the fans over.

This sucks.

(Sorry, couldn't resist that!)

Thanks
    I'll test my Hiper when I get home (not until Sunday though as I'm away for the weekend). I just bought it about a month ago, so hopefully the manufacturing date will be after April. I think you guys may just be unlucky, as inlcuding you two and the 3 or 4 reviews I've read of the PSU and my own experience with it, I've not seen any evidence to suggest that it's a constant issue, but you never know.

Will keep you posted.

Thread Information