• Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600MHz
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks P400A-D

Exclamation New PC suddenly losing power.

SOLVED! Thanks all!

Just built a new PC - but kept my old PSU and storage as they seemed fit for the new build.

Specs:
    • Ryzen 5 5600X
    • Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
    • Crucial Ballistix RGB 2*8gb (16gb) @3600 MHz
    • RTX 3080 FE
    • ID Cooling Tower Cooler
    • 2x2.5" SSD, 1x3.5" HDD (various ages)
    • Cooler Master V850 PSU (6 years old)
    • Phanteks P400A RGB Case

Seemed to be working fine until I was playing AC Valhalla, and I suddenly lost power. After powering it on again, the bios was reset and the date/time was accurate but in 2030?? It's done this several times now - always when running an intensive game (AC Valhalla, Watch Dogs Legion, RDR2). I've tried uninstalling all motherboard software including RGB fusion, as I heard that can cause problems. I've also bought the tower cooler, as with the turbo enabled my CPU used to hit 90-95C with the stock cooler (now runs at like 70 absolute tops). Alas, crashed again last night. I've ordered a new PSU (Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W), making sure it has a 10 year warrantly and good reviews (I wanted an EVGA or Seasonic but there seems to be a shortage). I've also disabled CPU boost in the meantime, hoping that helps.

Obviously tomorrow I'll install the new PSU, reenable boost and see if it stops, but I wondered if anyone had any ideas? Bios is up to date - I had to update it for Zen 3 to even boot. Interestingly, with a speaker installed, my PC makes a sort of 'half-beep', before doing a normal sounding post-beep and booting up. I've reseated the RAM and stuff, still does this beep - but my understanding is if it were an error it just would keep beeping and not boot. Please help if you can!
    Last edited by towell; 16-11-2020 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Solved

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair something or the other
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB nvme, 1x 2TB nvme, 2x 8TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

Re: New PC suddenly losing power.

Quote Originally Posted by towell View Post
    Just built a new PC - but kept my old PSU and storage as they seemed fit for the new build.

Specs:
    • Ryzen 5 5600X
    • Crucial Ballistix RGB 2*8gb (16gb) @3600 MHz
    • RTX 3080 FE
    • ID Cooling Tower Cooler
    • 2x2.5" SSD, 1x3.5" HDD (various ages)
    • Cooler Master V850 PSU (6 years old)
    • Phanteks P400A RGB Case

Seemed to be working fine until I was playing AC Valhalla, and I suddenly lost power. After powering it on again, the bios was reset and the date/time was accurate but in 2030?? It's done this several times now - always when running an intensive game (AC Valhalla, Watch Dogs Legion, RDR2). I've tried uninstalling all motherboard software including RGB fusion, as I heard that can cause problems. I've also bought the tower cooler, as with the turbo enabled my CPU used to hit 90-95C with the stock cooler (now runs at like 70 absolute tops). Alas, crashed again last night. I've ordered a new PSU (Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W), making sure it has a 10 year warrantly and good reviews (I wanted an EVGA or Seasonic but there seems to be a shortage). I've also disabled CPU boost in the meantime, hoping that helps.

Obviously tomorrow I'll install the new PSU, reenable boost and see if it stops, but I wondered if anyone had any ideas? Bios is up to date - I had to update it for Zen 3 to even boot. Interestingly, with a speaker installed, my PC makes a sort of 'half-beep', before doing a normal sounding post-beep and booting up. I've reseated the RAM and stuff, still does this beep - but my understanding is if it were an error it just would keep beeping and not boot. Please help if you can!
    Although I've not come across the time going forward in a BIOS, I'd consider getting a new motherboard battery. Make sure it's a decent brand like Panasonic/Duracell. As you've started the ball rolling with a replacement PSU let's see how you get on with that first, that's definitely a good component to update, even though 10 year warranty's are nice, the reality is technologies & power requirements move on way before then, but at least it sparks confidence in the brand.

Well done for managing to get a 3080.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • towell's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 5600X
      • Memory:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Phanteks P400A-D

Quote Originally Posted by AGTDenton View Post
    Although I've not come across the time going forward in a BIOS, I'd consider getting a new motherboard battery. Make sure it's a decent brand like Panasonic/Duracell. As you've started the ball rolling with a replacement PSU let's see how you get on with that first, that's definitely a good component to update, even though 10 year warranty's are nice, the reality is technologies & power requirements move on way before then, but at least it sparks confidence in the brand.

Well done for managing to get a 3080.
    Posted this yesterday, PSU has arrived and is installed, all seems to be okay for the time being - although I noticed the PSU end of the modular 24 pin cable on the old PSU might have been a tiny bit loose - so that could also have been the cause, but the brand new PSU definitely puts my mind at ease. I would seriously hope the MOBO battery isnt dying though as it's less than a week old...

Currently playing the free copy of Black Ops that came with the GPU, and no crashes as of yet! Will update the thread if anything happens.

FYI, a certain Discord was massively helpful in getting the GPU, worth keeping an eye out for it if you're interested in one, or at least setting up a distill monitor with a 15s refresh (that's what got me mine). I feel truly lucky to have got both a 3080 FE and a 5600X at RRP Thanks for the help!

Thanks
    • stevie lee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair 3600 MHZ Cas 18
      • Storage:
      • 250GB BX500, M500 240GB, SN750 1TB NVME, mechs - Hitachi 1TB. WDblue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • sapphire 7700 1gb
      • PSU:
      • corsair RM550X
      • Case:
      • Xigmatech Midgard
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • 42" Panasonix viera (1080p limited RGB)
      • Internet:
      • plusnet fibre

are you using the absolute latest GPU drivers?
    I had a spate of crashing last week, the drivers before the 457.30 ones that ive just noticed are available. 456 i think(?) were the crashy ones.

clean installed and went back to 452.06 from august and no more crashing, or fans going mad or BIOS resets.

trouble you might have, is that the crashy ones were the first ones to add the RTX 3xxx support into them. so hope that that very latest 457.30 from a few days ago have fixed the bug.

thats if it is that.

Thanks

New PSU is a good start, also make sure nothing has made its way under the motherboard somehow
    Jon

Thanks
    • IAmATeaf's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600@3.25
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2GB Corsair 6400C5DHX XMS2
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 0.5TB 7200.12, 2 x 1.5TB 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX460 OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC6089B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung T240 24"
      • Internet:
      • 6Mb ADSL Max

As others have said a PSU is the most obvious but I would also check to see if there are any bios updates for the mobo.

Ravens Nest

Quote Originally Posted by Jonj1611 View Post
    New PSU is a good start, also make sure nothing has made its way under the motherboard somehow
    That's a good idea, Maybe run the motherboard outside of the case for a while to see if it happens then?

Registered+
    Thanks
    • towell's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 5600X
      • Memory:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Phanteks P400A-D

I've been using the new PSU for quite some time and I've yet to hit any issues. Hopefully this has fixed it! Thanks for your help

Thread Information