Thread: Cycling GPU Usage after GPU Code 43 problem/"Force to reinstall graphics driver"

Registered+
    Thanks
    • rich_27's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MPG B550i Gaming Edge WiFi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Ve​ngeance LP​X 2x 8GB C​L16 D​DR4-3600
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 980 Pro 250GB M.2-2280 NVME SSD & Samsung 860 Evo 1TB 2.5" SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum
      • Case:
      • DAN Cases A4 v4.1
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x LG 27GL83A-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz
      • Internet:
      • Yes

Question Cycling GPU Usage after GPU Code 43 problem/"Force to reinstall graphics driver"

Has anyone experienced this before: https://i.imgur.com/IFsBtHL.png? GPU usage seems to drop substantially every so often, causing the fans to spool up and down repeatedly. Is this normal, I wonder if it's to do with YouTube buffering and decoding?

Normally something like this wouldn't set me on edge, but the cyclic change in fan noise is annoying and, more importantly, my GPU started playing up last night; after playing with the pump voltage on my CPU AiO trying to reduce the high pitched pump noise, I managed to overheat my CPU to the point where the automatic 'we need to shut down' message came up. I shut everything down and reset the pump fan curve, but when I booted up again the GPU was acting up and in Device Manager it said 'Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)' for the 3070. I tried reinstalling device drivers, but Windows kept popping up the notification 'Force to reinstall graphics driver'. After some searching, I stumbled upon some discussion of it potentially being a PCIe issue (https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport..._to_reinstall/ and https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/co...stall_on_3080/), and I tried setting the BIOS PCIe version setting from Auto to PCIe 3, which fixed the issue. The weird thing is this CPU, mobo, RAM, SSD, and GPU had all been working fine together since Friday, and had been working great with the new PSU for a few hours before it happened (Silverstone SX500-L to a Corsair SF600). I find it strange that it appears to be a PCIe compatability issue, because my CPU, mobo, GPU, and riser cable should all work fine with PCIe 4, the DAN Case website specifically mentioning that the riser cable is PCIe 4:

Risercable 3M™ 8KC3-0726-0300
    Speed PCIe® x16 Gen4

I wonder if I've damaged my mobo, riser cable, or GPU with the CPU overheat, any advice on how best to figure that out and whether this GPU cycling is normal? I have no other PCIe 4 devices to test with, unfortunately. Thanks!

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Cycling GPU Usage after GPU Code 43 problem/"Force to reinstall graphics driver"

I would highly recommend trying to test the set up without a Riser Cables. From past experience, Risers have been prone to cause malfunctions from the slightest of errors.

don't stock motherhoods
    Thanks
    • Millennium's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD 3600x @ 3.85 with Turbo
      • Memory:
      • 4*G-Skill Samsung B 3200 14T 1T
      • Storage:
      • WD850 and OEM961 1TB, 1.5TB SSD SATA, 4TB Storage, Ext.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3070 FE HHR NVidia (Mining Over)
      • PSU:
      • ToughPouwer 1kw (thinking of an upgrade to 600w)
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 101 Home 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HiSense 55" TV 4k 8bit BT709 18:10
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone 12 / month, high contentions weekends 2, phone backup.

Re: Cycling GPU Usage after GPU Code 43 problem/"Force to reinstall graphics driver"

I think if the GPU is failing after overheating, even slightly, it's probably toast - sorry. Are you still in warranty for a watercooled card? Maybe you could test it in another system to rule everything else out?

Bad timing, anyway!
    hexus trust : n(baby):n(lover):n(sky)|>P(Name)>>nopes

Be Careful on the Internet! I ran and tackled a drive by mining attack today. It's not designed to do anything than provide fake texts (say!)

Thread Information