• RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

Pc fails to boot with signed drivers after using DDU

I'm not having much luck at the moment, just seems to be issue after issue! Here's my next problem:

Bought a 2nd hand XFX RX480 4Gb. Buyer seems legitimate, and I go and collect, all seems fine.

My main system has been rock solid for months without issue. I have an RTX 3060 Ti installed, so I use DDU to uninstall and shutdown. I install the RX480 and power up. Behaviour seems odd, fans don't spin immediately but spin for a few seconds around 5 seconds after powering on, this might be normal I'm not sure. Monitor doesn't look like it's going to display output, but after maybe 10 seconds I get a cursor "_", PC then seems to restart and Windows loads with "diagnosing error / attempting repair", repair fails and brings me to 3 strikes / blue screen. Store point doesn't seem to have any effect. But Windows will boot as normal with option 7 - no signature required for drivers.

I refit the RTX3060 Ti and I'm having the same issues with this card too now. It seems DDU might have upset something driver related. I subsequently go through the same process and get into Windows with the "no signature required for drivers" option, download the latest DDU and try a clean driver sweep of Geforce drivers, then install the latest set back again. No change - won't boot into Windows normally with signed drivers enabled.

At this point I might be looking to backup my data and just do a clean windows install to bypass the issue (I'm due a reinstall anyway to clean up the system), but I am curious if there's any options I can try to fix the problem before having to do something this draconian.

Any suggestions folks?

Edit: Just ran Kombustor, perform seems nominal, so drivers appear to be working as expected.

Thanks

Re: Pc fails to boot with signed drivers after using DDU

Have you tried a live linux usb/cd with the RX480 to rule out any odd Windows behaviour?
    Jon

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

Re: Pc fails to boot with signed drivers after using DDU

To be honest given how fast I can get Windows back the desktop these days, I've already formatted. Takes somewhere in the region of 7-8 minutes to see the desktop again, games can download overnight. It was definitely an issue with using DDU, which is a first as I've used it plenty of times without issue, anyway it's solved the issue it seems.

Thread Information