Thread: ASUS A8N wont recognize my 6800:

Thanks

ASUS A8N wont recognize my 6800:

My computer wont recognize my e-GeForce 6800GT.

i just finished building my first computer, and ive been troubleshooting some problems, but gotten past them. most were just me being absent minded. but theres one problem that persists, and i thought it was a faulty motherboard.

Its a weird problem, and i havent seen anyone else with it (this is like the 4th forum im posting in). The one PCI-E slot that youre supposed to use when youre not doing SLi doesnt seem to work (the blue one). however, taking my 6800 to the other slot works. in the blue slot, there is no card recognized by the computer; in windows it says there adapter tab or any indication of an installed graphics card (right click desktop>properties>settings>advanced). when its in the black slot though, its all fine and came up and i was able to install drivers. it was listed with its own tab and all seemed well. and i would be happy, except that the black slot functoins as a PCI-E 1x when its not being used for SLi, as opposed the PCI-E 16x slot the card should be in. the fact that the card works in one slot and not the other had me convinced that the graphics card is not at fault (as i once believed)... im still getting video out from it and the fan spins and all that good stuff. so i RMA'd the board. Well it got tested and everything and they said it works fine. they showed me screen shots and everything (they even used a 6800 and an amd 64 3200+, like i have), and are sending it back. well at least it works...

I talked to the guy that worked on it, and i asked him some questions like what i might have been missing or doing wrong... even he was stumped.

I could really use some help...anyone got any ideas?
    I've been without the board for like a week, and it will be a few more days, and ive been thinking. im going to update the BIOS and update windows, but other than that, i dont know what to try. i went through the bios and looked at all the options with the A8N manual in my hand.

Things ive tried/checked:
    • Checked the EZ Selector to be sure its set to Single Graphics
    • Supplied power to the EZ Plug for extra juice
    • checked and double checked connections
    • seated the card in and out of the slot carefully like 3 times
    • tweaked settings in BIOS accordingly for non-SLi
    • tried multiple BIOS configs/settings, including the default

maybe more, i dunno. thats all i can think of.

well...If anyone has any other ideas, lay'em on me, and ill tell ya if ive been there, done that. Also, if you need more info, let me know.

thanks in advance.

Thanks
    i have heard problems like this, and many others with the mobo, a bios update should do the trick.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    well hey thats good news... now i'm lookin forward to gettin it back.. whenever that is.

Thanks
    well i updated the BIOS successfully to the latest version 1006.

much to my disappointment, it didnt solve my problem. why the hell is it not finding the card in this slot?

Thanks
    • Dingo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Kingston HyperX Blue
      • Storage:
      • Corsair Force series 3 120GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 6850 OC Edition
      • PSU:
      • Akasa Vodoo 550W
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • Zen
    Found this on the net which, if the mobo supplier has said board is okay, might point to a resolution....I stress might!!

VGA + SLI
    "Even though I don't run in SLI at the moment, there is an issue with the EZ-Selector card. Make sure that you can fit it in properly. A number of times my computer would give me a VGA error simply because the SLI EZ-Selector card was a bit off (the pins were not touching, I suppose)."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingo
    Found this on the net which, if the mobo supplier has said board is okay, might point to a resolution....I stress might!!

VGA + SLI
    "Even though I don't run in SLI at the moment, there is an issue with the EZ-Selector card. Make sure that you can fit it in properly. A number of times my computer would give me a VGA error simply because the SLI EZ-Selector card was a bit off (the pins were not touching, I suppose)."
    well thanks for the reply.
    i could check that, but im sure it has to be in for even some kind of functionality. and my card works in the other slot.

in fact, it works perfect. ive been using the system with the 6800 in the other slot, and wow. everything is fantastic. the performance exceeds my expectations. hl2 gets me like 100 fps constant, 300 when im just walkin around. cs:source stress test gave me an average of 123 fps.

i dont know what the deal is with the other slot, but right now im not concerned. ill give it another look when i get another card for SLi.

thanks for the response though.

Thanks
    Have you tried flipping the sli selector card round? The a8n's come with it set to SLI as default.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pudds
    Have you tried flipping the sli selector card round? The a8n's come with it set to SLI as default.
    no they dont.
    ----
    since this thread was bumped, ill give you guys an update. sorry for the length:

so my computer was working fine, even though the graphics card wasnt in the slot it should have been. 200 fps in hl2, cs:s; the performance was better than i originally expected to get when i ordered my computer.

Only 5 days later, i came home from school and my internet connection was gone. it worked that morning...so i called road runner tech support. after an hour on the phone with the guy, we concluded that something must have been wrong with the computer. i agreed because it seemed like i had a virus. none of my virus scanners worked! it was like i had a virus that prevented the scanners from working. i did finally manage to get one to work, but it didnt find anything, and i was still stuck. i didnt know what else to try, so i said **** it, i'll reformat.

so i did.

now the reason is way the hell beyond me, but the reformat fixed the issue with the graphics card. at first, when it booted up right after the reformat, i was real pissed that the computer didnt recognize the graphics card (it was still in the black slot like it had been). i thought that now both of the slots were bad! sure enough, i switched it, and it worked. i was really confused, but really happy.

in that sense, i was real happy that i reformatted. then i remembered that i had to reinstall all my programs. so then i got upset.

but anyway, all seems well now and im even better off than i was. thanks for all your help and suggestion though, but consider this problem solved.

Thread Information