Thread: NEED HELP! - Broadband setup

Registered+
    Thanks

Question NEED HELP! - Broadband setup

Hi guys, I’m setting up Wanadoo broadband for a mate of mine and he has a really confusing telephone setup. I’m not sure exactly where I’m supposed to put the filters. I have drawn a rough sketch of the layout of the system and I’m not sure if Broadband will actually work with all the extension cables he has (see pic)

Also the light on the modem hasn’t stopped blinking yet but it’s been 2 weeks since he received his modem pack. I have checked with Wanadoo and they say the line is activated. So I installed a programme called Dr Speed Touch which came with the modem software and it identified the problem as no TCP/IP installed on the machine. I find this unlikely as there is a new install of XP Home on his machine with all the newest updates. Could it be that there is no TCP/IP support on the machine or is it something to do with the way the telephone system is set up????? Cheers for any input on this.
    Last edited by Darth_Spud; 22-04-2005 at 01:45 AM.

Thanks
    Where have you installed the micro-filter(s) that was supplied with the ADSL modem? For your mate's setup you need two micro-filters, one at the 'BT Box' and one at the 'female end of extension'. Is the setup using ethernet connections or USB to connect the PC to the ADSL modem?
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Socket 775 (3.0GHz), stock cooler, Gigabyte GA-EP43-S3L iP43 Socket 775, OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 Gold Memory, PowerColor HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card, Seagate 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache, Arctic Power 500W PSU, Hann-G 19" widescreen
    Kitchen Table Browser: Dell XPS M1330 laptop
    On the Road: Alienware M14X laptop

Thanks
    • Matt1eD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI K9N6SGM-V GeForce 6100
      • CPU:
      • Athlon 64 LE-1620 2.41GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2 GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 1.25 TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Onboard
      • PSU:
      • eBuyer Extra Value 500W!
      • Operating System:
      • XP Pro
    Indeed, USB or ethernet? TCP/IP could be not installed, go to the network settings and make sure its in the list.

Registered+
    Thanks
    The modem connects via USB. Thanks Ceefer, thats probably what i was doing wrong as i was putting one of the micro filters on the female end of the extension cable that is near the PC. I'll try putting a filter in Bedroom 1 next time i go around his house.

P.S. - when i put the filter in the BT box downstairs should it connect to the box before the sky lead or after the sky lead? The sky lead is also an extension cable that has 1 male connector and 2 female connectors on the same end, the male atm plugs into the BT box and the extension cable that goes upstairs plugs ito one of the female connectors on the sky lead (here is a pic of what connects to the BT box)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...Spud/BTBox.jpg

Thanks for the input guys, If anyone else has an idea please post them.
    Last edited by Darth_Spud; 23-04-2005 at 10:49 PM.

Thanks
    I think maybe one of us is a bit confused here (probably me).

First off, the USB thing was a bit of a red herring. Probably nothing to do with your problem.

As I'm sure you know, in simplistic terms, your BT copper wires carry both the 'voice' and 'broadband' signals simultaneously but at different frequencies. The micro-filters are needed to 'split' the signal. So, where your BT cable comes into your house, marked 'BT Box', you will need a micro-filter plugged into the female socket, then your phone plugged into the micro-filter. If you also need to have your Sky box plugged in then you'll need a two-way adapter plugged into the micro-filter.

The extension cable that goes upstairs presumably must carry the raw, unsplit signals and has a box on the end of it with a socket, yes? You will then need another micro-filter plugged into that socket up there so that you plug in an upstairs phone and your ADSL modem cable.

Sorry if I've caused more confusion.
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Socket 775 (3.0GHz), stock cooler, Gigabyte GA-EP43-S3L iP43 Socket 775, OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 Gold Memory, PowerColor HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card, Seagate 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache, Arctic Power 500W PSU, Hann-G 19" widescreen
    Kitchen Table Browser: Dell XPS M1330 laptop
    On the Road: Alienware M14X laptop

Thanks
    • Matt1eD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI K9N6SGM-V GeForce 6100
      • CPU:
      • Athlon 64 LE-1620 2.41GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2 GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 1.25 TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Onboard
      • PSU:
      • eBuyer Extra Value 500W!
      • Operating System:
      • XP Pro
    I know nothing about sky and what signal that takes but here we gol; Place a MF on top of the thing you put in the BT box before the telephone. Then by the computer at the end of the femal extension place one.

only the finest beef
    Thanks
    Not sure about the Sky thing - I'm guessing that as it normally works without filters it'll probably use some sort of dial-up modem that will need a filter just the same as the two telephones.

The two telephones will need a filter each.

If you're having problems the best way to start is to unplug everything and then plug your modem straight into the master socket with the appropriate filter (the initial one that BT install). Once you've got it connected like that, intoduce the various new parts to the system. That way you'll find out what's wrong a bit quicker than standing around scratching your head!!

Hope this helps - post if you have any dramas

Thread Information