Thread: Missing device in the Device Manager

Thanks

Missing device in the Device Manager

Hi,

I recently bought a Kloss I915A - I can't seem to find a decent way to contact their support people, if they even have any. I wrote their little web - form based support but haven't gotten any response. So if someone knows how to contact Trigem/Kloss support that would be heplfull at least.

Anyway...

The immediate problem - My onboard Gigabit LAN controler doesn't show up in the Device Manager (under Network Adapters or Other Devices). The default Adapter was 1394 Net Adapter (seems very odd) and I tried to install my Gigabit driver over it but no dice. I got a connection working by plucking an old PCI ethernet card from a 90's Mac that was sitting around. I've looked through the TIPS thread and cleared the BIOS but nothing... Very confused and frustrated with the Gigabit. Any suggestions?

More info...

I popped all my little goodies in there and installed my very old 1st generation XP. Everything was fine but only 130 gigs (of 250) were recognized (that's normal for the old XP... BIOS saw everything). Initially two Network adapters were listed, "1394 Net Adapter" (seems strange) and the Gigabit ethernet adapter that comes onboard. I installed Kloss' provided LAN driver and setup my connection. I poked around and discovered the sp1-a update and was only then able to do the full SP1 and friends upgrade. I reinstalled XP on a small partition and then repeated the process of connecting and upgrading the XP service packs. Everything was golden, but the next day , the Gigabit inexplicably disappeared from my "Network Connections"... after clicking away I got a message that there was a TCP/IP setup conflict with the 1394 and that the Gigabit ethernet was not "physically" in the computer. I tried a lot of crap and screwed some stuff up. yesterday I brought in another CD drive (also 90's vintage) and reinstalled XP after a few weeks of the blue stop screen. Everything was okay again except there is still no Ethernet option in the Other Devices listing of the Device Manager where it should be. I just have the default 1394 Net Adapter, the old PCI ethernet card I dropped in, and if I "show hidden" then I get WAN minniport(IP), WAN Miniport (IP) - Packet Schedule Miniport, WAN Miniport (L2TP), WAN Miniport (PPPOE) and WAN Miniport (PPTP).

Thanks...

System Suspect
    Thanks
    Fyi 1394 is your firewire port, have you checked your on-board lan is enabled in your bios? It seems unlikly the firewire and gigabit nic would conflict, however turn off the 1394 in your BIOS if your not using it currently

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly1234
    Fyi 1394 is your firewire port, have you checked your on-board lan is enabled in your bios? It seems unlikly the firewire and gigabit nic would conflict, however turn off the 1394 in your BIOS if your not using it currently

yes, I know it's the firewire. that's why I thought it was "(strange)". And both have been enabled in the bios. I think I remember disabling the firewire with no success. I'll try again but I don't see that as a fix, since I'll be losing the firewire. The ethernet has ALWAYS been enabled in the bios.

Thanks for chiming in though... if you've got any other thoughts on this, let me have them please.

Thread Information