Thread: ATX12v power

Registered+
    Thanks

Tagan 420w PSU and ATX12v power cable

Hi all,

Just a couple of questions,

I've recently purchased a Tagan 420W power supply TG420-U01 and an A-bit Fatal1ty AN8 motherboard.

Okay, I haven't built a machine in a few years so am a bit confused about how to power the motherboard. Please bare with me.

The tagan comes with one black 24pin power connector. Where 4 of the pins can be removed to make a 20 pin power connector.

It also has two blue power power conectors with 4 pins - labelled p4 and p4+. Which can be combined into one 8 pin connector

The abit board has a 24 pin power connector and a 4 pin atx12v connector

Do I insert the black connector in it's 24pin form into the 24 pin slot on the board and then connect the blue p4 (4 pin) into the 4 pin 12v connector on the board?

Also the power supply comes with a grounding wire, which is says should be attached to one the mounting holes and screws on your motherboard? I feel a bit funny grounding the power supply using my motherboard - can I not just attach the grounding wire to a screw on the case?

Thanks in advance.

-e
    Last edited by eletero; 03-06-2005 at 02:01 PM.

Thanks
    if you use the 24 pin connector from the PSU into the 24 pin connector on the board that should be it.

I've always used 1 of the mobo mounting screws for grounding my Tagans but I don't suppose it makes any difference as against a screw on the case as it's a common earth.

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Thanks
    • iranu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene VI
      • CPU:
      • 4670K @4.3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Samsung Green
      • Storage:
      • 1x 256Gb Samsung 830 SSD 2x640gb HGST raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W Modular
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Silencio 352
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" DELL Ultrasharp U2312HM
      • Internet:
      • 16mb broadband
    Quote Originally Posted by eletero
    Also the power supply comes with a grounding wire, which is says should be attached to one the mounting holes and screws on your motherboard? I feel a bit funny grounding the power supply using my motherboard - can I not just attach the grounding wire to a screw on the case?
    I feel the same way and attach the ground wire to a free pci slot screw on the back of the case . It keeps the grounding wire out of the way.
    "Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be." Frank Zappa. ----------- "The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." Huang Po.----------- "A drowsy line of wasted time bathes my open mind", - Ride.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BUFF
    if you use the 24 pin connector from the PSU into the 24 pin connector on the board that should be it.
    In the end I did have to connect the blue p4 (not p4+) to the atx12v socket aswell as the 24pin. The A-bit motherboard is quite nice - it has an LED display to indicate problems at boot. I was getting code 8.7. which means the CPU voltage is wrong - so I tried inserting the blue power and worked straight off. Thought this info might be useful in case other people are confused about the tagan power supplies.

I ended up grounding the supply on a spare pci slot screw as suggested - thanks for the advice.

-e

Thread Information