Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hexus crashes Firefox

Thanks
    I've had Firefox crash occasionally on the Hexus forums, must have been about half a dozen times. It's not really that serious for me, and I can still browse the forums quite happily.

I assume you cleared out all of your profile data, and made sure that no extensions were installed?
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_w
    I've had Firefox crash occasionally on the Hexus forums, must have been about half a dozen times. It's not really that serious for me, and I can still browse the forums quite happily.

I assume you cleared out all of your profile data, and made sure that no extensions were installed?
    I completely deleted my profile, then just copied back the stuff i needed like passwords, form data etc. Then reinstalled the extensions i need, web developer, colorzilla, html validator and tab preferences.

I think the important thing here though is that it only happens with Hexus forums, and only since their last changes.

Thanks
    Did you try if it crashed before you installed the extensions? Did you change any settings in extensions?

It may be that it happens ol loads of sites, it's just you don't visit them!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by marlyred
    I completely deleted my profile, then just copied back the stuff i needed like passwords, form data etc. Then reinstalled the extensions i need, web developer, colorzilla, html validator and tab preferences.
    I use both the Web Developer toolbar and the HTML validator - either of these may well be the cause of the problem. Although the problem hasn't happened often enough for me to be anywhere near certain, I don't remember Firefox crashing on a Firefox installation with neither of those extensions.
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

MD
    Thanks
    • MD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-M PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 - i3570k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 256GB SSD's (Samsung and Crucial)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVidia 640
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 600W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08e MATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell Flat Panel
      • Internet:
      • 60mb Virgin Media
    I have heard rumour that this is connected to one of the Google extensions, but I cannot be sure.

Have you done a CTRL + F5 since the new code was loaded? This was a MAJOR update to vB and unfortunately it has not gone as smoothly for quite a few people as it did for us, but trust me we are all trying to work on a solution.

matt.
    Please do not message me about Scan Free shipping, I no longer work for HEXUS.net

Thanks
    must be something to do with privacy setting i think because i can surf hexus w/o any probs and im on default settings

Thanks
    My privacy settings are at default too. It still crashes by the way, however I have noticed that when it crashes, the page renders until it gets to the google ads at the top, then it dies on me .

Regarding clearing my cache, I actually did a full uninstall/reinstall of Firefox (including deleting the profile) and only installed the same ff extensions I have been using without problems before the vb code upgrade.

Thanks
    got any plugins installed ?
    [I.E.-Adblock]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vincent
    got any plugins installed ?
    [I.E.-Adblock]
    Nada. Guess I will just have to carry on using Opera to visit Hexus......

DR
    Thanks
    I use FireFox daily and never have seen any crashes and trust me - I would notice them

Banned
    Thanks
    Are you on 1.5 Beta like me David? I've noticed it in general can be unstable at times but never on Hexus.

Thanks
    Well after doing some searching it seems I am not the only one having problems with Firefox crashing on vb forums after the last vb upgrade. Only problem is that no-one seems to know why.

Thanks
    I've had this happen a couple of times today. That's Mozilla Firefox 1.0.7 on Debian, Web Developer and HTML Validator extensions. Haven't had any problems on my other Firefox installations, but I use those far less.

Thanks
    Looks like it was the html tidy validator extension that didn't like the vb upgrade. Uninstalled it, now everything is ok on hexus,,,,apart from I don't have the very useful extension anymore.

Thanks
    Can't you just disable it from the extensions dialogue and re-enable when needed? You'll have to restart FF inbetween changes, but it could be a compromise.

Is it possible to run Firefox with two different profiles? You could set one up for Hexus use. Just a thought.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by marlyred
    Looks like it was the html tidy validator extension that didn't like the vb upgrade. Uninstalled it, now everything is ok on hexus,,,,apart from I don't have the very useful extension anymore.
    Were you using the latest version of the extension, as I'm using FF 1.0.7 with HTML Validator 0.7.6 (and Adblock and Web Developer, amongst others) and FF has never crashed on Hexus for me.

Thread Information