Thread: Video Output Issue

Thanks

Video Output Issue

ATI radeon 9700 pro

Computer has been working fine for 6 weeks now without a format, but last night a very strange thing happened. The PC was on, but had no video output in windows. I went into safe mode and it was working fine, so i uninstalled my gfx card.

This corrected the problem, but only until the next restart where the same fault occured. I assumed it was the ATI software, so i uninstalled it, and installed it again. Restarted and I still have the same problem.

I've run outta ideas so now i'm passing the ball to you guys. Come on, make me proud

Cheers in Advance

Registered+
    Thanks
    Not sure about ATI cards, but sounds suspiciously like a temperature problem.
    Has the card got a fan on it? If not try fitting one. If it does, make sure it`s spinning when the PC boots.

Just sorted my sisters PC out this evening which was throwing a teddy about 5 minutes after playing games and after restarting the Windows logo was coming up then the PC would restart itself over and over. The card just had a heat sink over the GPU which was not held in place properly by badly fitting clips, thus the heat sink was coming away from the GPU very slightly.
    Last edited by Sticky Mick; 15-11-2005 at 03:28 AM.

Thanks
    its not a temp issue, because that wouldn't present as soon as i entered windows after the PC has been off all night. It also wouldn't explain why the card work up until windows loads the gfx drivers.

I've disabled the gfx card for the minute, and it works fine, but i'm on 800x600 and none of my games will play

Registered+
    Thanks
    Just a thought, and you may already have done this - but try removing the ati drivers then reboot and let windows use it's own drivers. Try to see if it's an ati driver problem as oppsed to a windows problem. I assume you haven't changed anything before it stopped displaying video (resolution, refresh rate, drivers)?

Are you using DVI output, try the DSUB instead if so....long shot, but hey, worth a go.

If you're using xp and haven't disabled system restore, could always try going back?

Thread Information