Thread: Formatting and Installing XP

Registered+
    Thanks

Formatting and Installing XP

My mum's PC was running XP Pro (as installed by me when the PC last broke down). The PC crashed at Xmas and we couldn't find the disk I used. But we now have an original XP HOME disk. Someone else tried to fix it and installed XP HOME on top of XP PRO, so now I want to reformat the disk and start again with the HOME edition.

In the Recovery and Repair mode (an option during to OS selection menu on boot up) I log on to the original installation. Using the format command I try and format the C: drive and am given the usual warnings, I say Yes to all of them but all that happens is that the command prompt (C:/Windows....) comes back up rather than the formatting percentage.

When I say "I" I mean I am talking to my computer illiterate mum over the phone and talking her through a process that I have only ever seen over some ones shoulder.

Ben

Thanks
    Are you getting back to the DOS screen? If so, just type "format c:" - it'll wipe the partition, so you have a fresh install of XP afterwards.

Better still, don't do recovery or repair. Just install a new fresh copy of XP, and it'll wipe out the old one. Ensure you've copied across all data you want to save thou to another partition, CDR, or other.

Thread Information