Thread: Complicated question: How do I strip all personal info from WinXP + C:Drive?

Thanks

Complicated question: How do I strip all personal info from WinXP + C:Drive?

Here's a challening question: How do I strip all personal info from WinXP and C: Drive?

Basically, what I'm planning to go is give the PC away, lock stock and barrel to my next door neighbour (they are an old disabled couple who want to use the internet to contact their son in Australia, awwww.....)

I don't want to format C: if I can avoid it, as it is HUGE hassle to re-install XP (I've also lost the CD-ROM) as well as enormous hassle to install the SATA drivers (which needs a floppy drive that I don't have etc).

So is there any reliable way I can just strip on the personal info from WinXP, C: Drive? Obviously, I don't want them seeing any old junk or personal stuff that might have accumulated there over the years.
    Last edited by Hobart Paving; 17-01-2006 at 11:12 PM.

Splash
    I suppose you could login as administrator and delete your profile (c:\documents and settings\your username) but that's hardly exhaustive. The only 100% reliable way to do it would be a clean install I'm afraid.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Splash
    I suppose you could login as administrator and delete your profile (c:\documents and settings\your username) but that's hardly exhaustive. The only 100% reliable way to do it would be a clean install I'm afraid.
    Quoted for truth. without trashing the install there is no way to securely remove all the info. It depends on how much you want to hide the info.
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thread Information