Thread: Diagnosing Abit NF7-S and Enermax Noisetaker

Thanks

Diagnosing Abit NF7-S and Enermax Noisetaker

As per this thread, I am currently buying parts for a new PC.

But I am starting to have serious doubt about my PSU, so I was wondering if there is a way I can test it. The symptons:
    1) When I first got back, the PC would boot to windows, before abruptly shutting off. But the fans (CPU, case) still spins, and the motherboard's red light is still on. With two exception: the fan on the motherboard never spins, hence the reason I am suspecting the motherboard to be dead. However, one of the PSU fan also doesn't seem to be spinning.

2) If I press the power button again, it wouldn't start. If I switch off the PSU and on, then switch the PC on again, it would only power on for 1/4 of a sec.

3) However, if I switch the PSU off and on, and leave it for a few minute, the system would once again power until Windows is loading before switching itself off again. At least for a while.

4) Now, 3) doesn't even occur. I seriously think that the PSU is just fault, and the motherboard fan is faulty but otherwise okay. I think that the mobo is past its warranty (over 2 years, under 3), but at 13 months, I am hoping that I'd be able to RMA the PSU.

5) I don't have another system to test with, and frankly, I think I'll just get a Seasonic next. I don't want to risk plugging a faulty PSU on a new mobo. But I want to acertain that there -is- something wrong with my PSU, as it'll cost me money to RMA the PSU (shipping), and if the PSU is not faulty, then it'll be a big waste of time and money.

Cheers.

Thanks
    Why not order a new PSU, test it with the old rig, and if it works, RMA the old one and sell the replacement, keeping the new PSU. If it doesn't work, keep the new PSU as the first part of your new build.

Thanks
    I am also worried that my motherboard is killing my PSUs. I mean, this is the 2nd PSU I go through on the same mobo, and it isn't like I've been cheap with my PSU choices (Antec Trueblue and Enermax Noisetaker - granted, I've now learned Seasonic/PC Power&Cooling are better PSUs, but I seriously would expect either to last as long as the system TBH).

Edit: Would this do any good? http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=158610
    Last edited by TooNice; 08-02-2006 at 07:20 PM.

Thanks
    • Max Tractor's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Biostar TA890GXE
      • CPU:
      • 95w 1055T@x4-3.5Ghz-1.15v
      • Memory:
      • Samsung Green 30nm low voltage 2x4GB@1.26v
      • Storage:
      • Corsair 3 60GB-Sandisk Extreme 240GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 7850 2GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic SS-1050XM
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster elite 120(Modd)
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ EW2430
    Get yourself a multimeter, you can pick them pretty cheap, and test the rails of the psu

==edit==

Just read your first post again

"the fan on the motherboard never spins"

These fans are famous for

1. Being noisey

2.Failing

You will find most have been replaced by a passive zalman, if the fan is not cooling the northbridge, then it will overheat, and shut down, take the side off and blow a fan on it to see if it will boot
    Last edited by Max Tractor; 09-02-2006 at 04:34 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks. I have thought of getting a multimeter, but I am not sure how to use them, or what to look for when buying one. Could you suggest one from Ebay that looks decent and not too expensive?

About the northbridge, how long would it take for it to overheat? At the moment, the system doesn't even boot for a sec. I assume that they don't overheat THAT fast.

Thanks
    • Max Tractor's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Biostar TA890GXE
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 7850 2GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic SS-1050XM
      • Case:
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ EW2430
    Check out maplins, they usually have a ceap one. I agree the northbridge would not overheat that fast, have you tried booting with one stick of mem?

Thanks
    Would this fit the bill?
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...1&doy=9m2&QV=P

And no, I haven't tried the memory. But I have another reason for thinking that the PSU is faulty basically, a piece broke off! I only saw it after I removed the PSU from the case. And I guess it is probably what made a weird noise for a whole month. I didn't drop it or anything

What concerns me now is that in Enermax's terms and condition it says:

WHAT IS NOT COVERED
    [...]
    Normal wear
    [...]
    I would've thought that the warranty would extend to normal wear for the whole period of the warranty

Thanks
    • Max Tractor's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Biostar TA890GXE
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 7850 2GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic SS-1050XM
      • Case:
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ EW2430
    The multimeter looks fine, if you can get into windows and get it running for a while, I would try motherboard monitor, it will work for the nf7-s, set it up to log the various rails and see if you can get a general idea of what is going on with the psu. What exactly fell off? The nf7-s v2.0 was and still is an outstanding board, you can pick up a zalman for the NB for a fiver or so.

Thanks
    I found this cheaper on ebay, not sure if its any good though: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-Digi...QQcmdZViewItem

I can't get into Windows at all though. The system shuts off almost as soon as it is turned on. The light of the motherboard is still on, and I think most fans would still work (although I've unplugged everything but the CPU fan now).

The piece that fell off is a white piece of plastic. At first I thought maybe something fell through the grill, but on closer inspection, I see similar white plastic inside the PSU. I haven't got a clue how a piece could have snapped though...

I remember reporting one of the rail giving very strange result on this thread: http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?t=35904 but I don't have the pic anymore (changed ISP) and was later assured that the -5V reading is not abnormal for my PSU.

Thanks
    • Max Tractor's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Biostar TA890GXE
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 7850 2GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic SS-1050XM
      • Case:
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ EW2430
    Good price for the MM, might take a punt on one myself. You really have to find out where this problem is, seems strange that you may have lost 2 psu, was the antec in this sytem? What about the power supply in your house, power spikes, do you have a power breaker?

Bits of plastic should not be rolling around inside the psu, if I was you, I would not be turning on the psu again until I tested it outside the case, don't turn it on again, and if you do, get your good kit out, memory/graphics/hd/ and use cheap kit to test, or if you have a cheap psu, strip to min hardware and try a boot

If you do not know how to test the psu outside of your case let me know and I will tell you

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TooNice
    I found this cheaper on ebay, not sure if its any good though: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-Digi...QQcmdZViewItem

sheffield maplins have had these on 2-4-1 at £4.99 for about 2 years. saw them near the checkout when i was in there last week.

Thanks
    Well, I went for the ones on Ebay. Couldn't be bothered to check my nearest Maplin

@Max Tractor: I would very much appreciate any guidance in testing a PSU outside the case. I've never done that... or used a multimeter for that matter (which is why I was thinking of getting that thing from Scan).

Thanks
    Umm. I received the multimeter today, but it only goes up to 10A. From what I understand, most PSU do 20+A especially on the 12V rail right right? Does that mean I can't test it with this multimeter?

Thread Information