Banned
    Thanks

WinXP installation setup crashes / produces errors

I've plugged together a new system:-

1. A64 3200+ Venice
    2. Asus A8N Premium
    3. Nvidia 6200 PCI-E graphics card
    4. 2 x 512mb DDR ram

I've plugged in the bare minium of peripherals (DVD-ROM drive and IDE HDD) but everytime I install windows, I get variations of the following errors (all in the WinXP blue DOS screen setup page).

1. When XP copies across files during setup, it keeps on saying it can't read certain files such as .dll .chm .exe etc and it gives me the option to retry or skip the file. No matter how many times I retry, some files simply won't copy across including critical files such as win32.dll etc which leads to a half-installed non-working installation of XP. I have tried 4 different XP CD-ROMs and 2 different optical drives so I don't think its the CD or drive thats faulty.

2. Other times, even before the setup file copying stage, I get various error message such as *** stop: 0x000007E (0xC000005, 0X801908393, 0xF89D5C94, 0xFB89D5994) and the dreaded BSOD.

3. *** Serial.sys - address F85C63F base at 0xF85C638F, Datestamp 3d6de48b

4. BSOD - "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.....check for adequate disk space....disabled drivers...check for driver updates...try changing video adaptors.....check your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disabled BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options and then select Safe Mode."

I suspect (but am not 100% sure) that the RAM is causing the problems because when I ran memtest it produced over 100,000 errors in the hexidemical format. I relaxed all the RAM timings to the slowest that the motherboard would allow me, and also used 1 DIMM plugged into the exact DIMM slot stated in the manual but to no avail.

I remember having a similar setup/installation problem on my old Duron700/Abit mobo/Crucial RAM but that was solved when I relaxed the RAM timings and only used 1 DIMM.

Any help would be appreicated
    Last edited by davidstone28; 23-03-2006 at 07:45 PM.

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    David, I have to say that even if you get XP installed, if your memory's that badly screwed, you're only storing up grief for yourself when you try to actually use the machine. If it's new memory, RMA it sharpish. If not, then replace it.

Thanks
    I agree with nichomach, get it tested/returned as soon as possible.

Thanks
    • iranu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene VI
      • CPU:
      • 4670K @4.3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Samsung Green
      • Storage:
      • 1x 256Gb Samsung 830 SSD 2x640gb HGST raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W Modular
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Silencio 352
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" DELL Ultrasharp U2312HM
      • Internet:
      • 16mb broadband
    I had exactly the same problem with my DFI-sli DR. It did alsorts of weird and wonderful errors when trying to install windows. The cause was not plugging in all of the power leads (4 pin floppy) for the mobo. Ensure that you have a 24 pin quality psu and ensure the 4 pin molex and the 4 pin floppy power (if it has it) are connected properly.

I did exactly what you did, ran memtest (loads of errors), slacked off timings, 1 ram in different slots etc. I do not know why the floppy power was so important but my rig is now running prime 95 stable with a opty 146@3Ghz and the ram at it's normal tight timings.

I hope this is what is wrong and I hope you haven't pulled as much hair out as me when I had this issue.
    Last edited by iranu; 24-03-2006 at 12:51 PM.
    "Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be." Frank Zappa. ----------- "The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." Huang Po.----------- "A drowsy line of wasted time bathes my open mind", - Ride.

Banned
    Thanks
    Iranu was right - the culprit was indeed something to do with power. The 4pin power connector near the CPU was plugged in but not "clicked" in, hence causing the weird problems. Thanks!

[EDIT 23.03.06]

I spoke too soon. I plugged the other DIMM into the mobo (2x512mb) and a load of other peripherals (2xHDDs, 2xoptical drives, 4x120 fans) and I seem to be getting exactly the same problem when trying to install WinXP onto a 2nd HDD. On the previously working version of XP, I'm getting loads of system error messages in XP immediately after bootup. Sometimes the PC boots into Windows and then reboots itself immediately. When in XP and I try to run any sort of program, the program or XP just crashes - for example, installing the nForce4 drivers from the Asus CD resulted in the following error message:-

"The instruction at 0x7c9111de referenced memory at 0x01dd11b8. The memory could not be read. Click Ok to terminate the program."

OR

"Only part of a ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory request was completed."

This is doing my head in..........
    Last edited by davidstone28; 24-03-2006 at 11:59 PM.

Thanks
    • iranu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene VI
      • CPU:
      • 4670K @4.3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Samsung Green
      • Storage:
      • 1x 256Gb Samsung 830 SSD 2x640gb HGST raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W Modular
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Silencio 352
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" DELL Ultrasharp U2312HM
      • Internet:
      • 16mb broadband
    I thought you had it sorted when I read this last night - God knows why these modern boards need so many different power inputs.

Sounds like duff ram or your board just doesn't like that particular brand. Have you got any spare ddr ram around? Even if you use pc2100 or pc2700 the puter should boot. If there are no issues with the spare ram then it will atleast tell you something.

It will also be worth while checking to see whether you get much fluctuation in voltage to the ram. Try upping the ram voltage a bit.

I hate errors caused by ram. They are the worst to sort out due to the random nature of errors. I remember I once had a dodgy 256mb stick and kept putting it into pc's cos it was lying around only for mayhem to break loose.
    "Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be." Frank Zappa. ----------- "The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." Huang Po.----------- "A drowsy line of wasted time bathes my open mind", - Ride.

Banned
    Thanks
    Okay, I think I've finally managed to work out what's probably causing the problem.

Firstly, some background - I trawled about 200 pages of posts on the Anandtech forums and also here about the A8N Premium and RAM compatability and settings. The long and the short of it is that the A8N is VERY picky about memory modules (even high modules such as OCZ Platinum) and also the "auto" setting in BIOS does NOT necessarily detect the correct RAM timings or voltages.

Anyway, that's all by the by - I'm pretty sure that I've narrowed it down to one of the DIMMs being faulty.

One module works absolutely fine (single 512mb DIMM) in Slot B1, across a range of voltages and settings. Memtest86 and 3DMark03 for over an hour results in not a single error. Installing XP and other software is also fine. Running 3D games also seems to be fine. So that module seems to be working perfectly.

Taking that DIMM out and then putting other DIMM in (with all other settings/hardware remaining the same and running 1 DIMM only in the same slot) results in memory errors immediately, XP install falls over, memtest86 fails, a working disk image of XP corrupts etc. Obviously trying to run dual channel is a no go.

So, I'm pretty sure that its that particular DIMM module thats faulty or is particularly temperamental. I phoned up the manufacturers Crucial and guess what? They offered to replace it if I sent it back to them (they told me to send back both modules) even though I had bought the RAM 2nd hand. Lovely woman to speak to as well - very helpful.

So despite wasting the best part of 2 days, fiddling with hardware, BIOS settings, trawling the internet and even breaking one of the plastic retention lugs off my motherboard PCI-E slot (you have to remove the graphics card to remove the DIMM - how stupid is that?) hopefully Crucial will able to sort this out. Fingers crosssed.....

Thanks to everyone for the posts and taking the time to try and help.
    Last edited by davidstone28; 25-03-2006 at 12:20 AM.

Thread Information