Thread: RF Out?

Thanks

RF Out?

Hey,

I've got a TV card which has RF In and RF Out. The RF in is being fed from the aerial socket on the wall.

Is it possible to get a cable which will take the signal from the RF Out and put it into my TV? I'm asking because my Sky+ box downstairs feeds it's signal throughout the house, and I can't receive this through my tv card.

Also, would it be possible to feed the signal into my tv so that I could watch terrestrial tv while recording something on my pc? My tv card is a single tuner DVB-T card,

I'm just guessing that the RF Out is for feeding the aerial signal to other devices. Please correct me if I'm wrong .

Thanks in advance

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb
    The RF out is just a straight pass through of what has been fed in through the RF in, this should work whether you are tuned to something on the PC or not. The signal should split off before it actually gets to the tuner stage. Some cards boost the signal a bit too, but not all of them. You would just need a regular coax ariel lead which you can get at any electrical or audio video place.

Not sure i get what you are saying about Sky though. Is sky outputting its picture on RF? is this how other TVs pick up the signal? you should be able to tune to this no problem, it's just like a regular TV station, should even be able to set the frequency channel on the Sky box. How about a composite or s-video connector on the TV card? you would get a higher quality signal it you used either of them and stereo audio connections rather than the RF for capturing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar
    The RF out is just a straight pass through of what has been fed in through the RF in, this should work whether you are tuned to something on the PC or not. The signal should split off before it actually gets to the tuner stage. Some cards boost the signal a bit too, but not all of them. You would just need a regular coax ariel lead which you can get at any electrical or audio video place.

Not sure i get what you are saying about Sky though. Is sky outputting its picture on RF? is this how other TVs pick up the signal? you should be able to tune to this no problem, it's just like a regular TV station, should even be able to set the frequency channel on the Sky box. How about a composite or s-video connector on the TV card? you would get a higher quality signal it you used either of them and stereo audio connections rather than the RF for capturing.
    I tried a regular coax, but the RF Out socket is male, and the coax cable is male as well.

As for the Sky box, it basically sends whatever it is currently tuned to, to a box in our cellar. The box in the cellar then sends the signal around the house. My tv card can't tune to it as it doesnt have an analogue tuner, only DVB-T.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb
    you get little gender changers that allow you to hook a male cable to a male socket, most of the you usually get one with pre packaged cables, but should only be a couple of quid seperatly (which is still over priced for what they are)

Sorry, don't know how i missed that you only have a DVB-T tuner

in that case there is no way to get it to capture Sky at all with your current card. You either need a second card, or one that has dual analogue and digital tuners.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar
    you get little gender changers that allow you to hook a male cable to a male socket, most of the you usually get one with pre packaged cables, but should only be a couple of quid seperatly (which is still over priced for what they are)

Sorry, don't know how i missed that you only have a DVB-T tuner

in that case there is no way to get it to capture Sky at all with your current card. You either need a second card, or one that has dual analogue and digital tuners.
    Thanks for the help.

I knew I wouldnt be able to capture Sky . I just wanted to watch it on my tv while my pc is capturiing something. I can just use Sky+ to record stuff on Sky .

Thanks again for your help.

Thread Information