Thread: ATi VPU recover when changing bios???!

Registered+
    Thanks

ATi VPU recover when changing bios???!

Had a problem when ive been changing the cpu frequency and that im getting this vpu recover box popping up. Ive even gone into the ati menu and unchecked it but the game still locks up (but the box dosen't pop up), anyway ive had to go back to stock settings.

2day i decided to try it out again and change the OC mode and again i got the the vpu recover box when i was browsing the web!? Fair enough on a game but browsing the web?
    Is this a common fault with ati cards and OC'ing the bios etc??

Obviously its when ive gone into the bios and changed the cpu frequency that this vpu is arising but could it be that my 500w psu is letting me down as its only a cheap make?

cheers

Throbbing Member
    Thanks
    • 8bit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z170A-G43 PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury Black (8GB)
      • Storage:
      • 1x Crucial MX100 512GB, 1x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (WD1001FALS)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire AMD R9 390 Nitro
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM650x
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide Air 540
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 29UM67 29", 21:9, 2560x1080
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet Fibre
    When you change the CPU frequency are you doing that by altering the FSB/Core Clock speed?

If so then look in the BIOS for an option to lock the PCI (and AGP if your board and gfx card are AGP based) frequencies. PCI should *always* be 33MHz and AGP 66MHz. I know Asrock boards are an ASUS brand and my ASUS board has issues with locking some frequencies properly, maybe that's the issue?

Some Windows-based overclocking tools will report the clock frequencies of PCI and AGP buses, I know ClockGen will do it (http://www.cpuid.com/clockgen.php) but you might need to know what clock chip your motherboard uses. The page at the link there will help you work out what one you've got. Try getting that and running it once you've applied your overclock through the BIOS. See what your PCI and AGP or PCIe clocks are running at.

Also, when changing the core clock on any AMD64 system, remember that you have to change the HyperTransport bus multiplier so the resulting HT frequency is equal to or less than 1000MHz.
    "shiro" - Windows 11 Home x64 :: Intel i5-12600K :: Corsair H115i :: MSI Z690-A Pro :: 2x 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR5 :: NVidia 4070 Super FE :: Corsair Force MP600 (1TB) :: WD Caviar Black (2TB) :: WD Caviar Green (2TB) :: Corsair Carbide Air 540 (white) :: LG 32QK500 2560x1440 :: Razer Pro Click :: Cherry KC6000 Slim ::

Registered+
    Thanks
    Cheers 8 but now im having other problems copy and pasted what is happening from another forum.....

I had a few issues on BF2 where it seemed that i was getting very faint lines across the screen and what looked like image tearing. I uninstalled the latest ati drivers and installed the omega's and i think it was a day later when i was looking through some folders on my d/top the screen went off, i rebooted and i noticed the box for new hardware had come back on as if i had no vga drivers on?!

I played BF and the lines had gone but i was still getting the new hardware box popping up so i decided today that i would uninstall them and put the latest ati one's back on. Now when i was surfing the web and using the middle mouse button to scroll i again noticed these very faint lines across the screen with it even happening when i moved the mouse, the flickery lines only appeared when i moved the mouse.

So this is happening then all of a sudden my screen goes mad and i have crazy graphical blocks all over the place only just making out things on the web page i am viewing! I click off the web and my d/top has vertical lines that look like dash marks all over it! I reboot and my pc comes back on and its ok so i go and do a stress test on Counterstrike Source and again i get these amazing acid flashback type graphics ;/ all over the screen, i reboot and the screen where it tells you your cpu/mobo,and setup for bios sticks there for like 25-30 seconds before booting onto another screen with a flashing cursor which again takes around 25secs!

Right so this is happening after each bootup and now after 10secs of the pc loading up onto my d/top the monitor switches to standby!

Ive had to boot up in safe mode to post this

I updated the bios about 5days ago.

Hope you all understood this lol!

**EDIT

Ive just gone into my monitor settings and theres nothing for ATi! shows that i don't have a driver installed and theres no ATi control menu either, even though theres an icon for it sat on my d/top and when i click it nothing happens?

*****EDIT

Oops my bad that's probably because im in safe mode!

Went into the ATi control menu, locked up and then the pc rebooted (dosen't seem to stick on the load up page where you can go into your bios now!!???). So i get this serious error box popping up and then my screen goes black, screen comes back on pc locks up then the screen goes black again and i get that bloody vpu recover box again! I am now writing this (im not in safe mode btw) and the pc hasn't rebooted or locked up?!

When i scroll up or down the page is moving in sections as if theres no drivers on ?!

Heres the error report: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...untitled-1.jpg
    Last edited by qu0th; 26-06-2006 at 03:59 AM.

Throbbing Member
    Thanks
    • 8bit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z170A-G43 PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM650x
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet Fibre
    VPU Recovers happen when the VPU crashes, either as a result of corrupted driver installs or a faulty/overheating card. Your temps look fine so I'd reckon it's either the card or the drivers.

When you uninstall the drivers are you just doing it through Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs or are you using something like DriverCleaner? I always use DriverCleaner and never have any problems, you can (in fact you're supposed to) use it in Safe Mode so you may want to try that (google for it, can't remember the URL).

If you can try another card in your machine (or your card in another machine) then that would be the next thing to try after the drivers.

The other thing I guess is that DirectX could be badly messed up - if it were my machine I'd maybe try a Windows reinstall before swapping cards about if DriverCleaner and some nice new official Catalyst drivers don't help.

At work at the moment so gotta rush but if I think of anything else I'll post when I get home.

HTH

EDIT: DriverCleaner Professional FTW!! http://www.drivercleaner.net/professional.html There is a platinum edition but it's payware, I just use the freebie Pro version which does just fine tho.
    Last edited by 8bit; 26-06-2006 at 11:18 PM.
    "shiro" - Windows 11 Home x64 :: Intel i5-12600K :: Corsair H115i :: MSI Z690-A Pro :: 2x 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR5 :: NVidia 4070 Super FE :: Corsair Force MP600 (1TB) :: WD Caviar Black (2TB) :: WD Caviar Green (2TB) :: Corsair Carbide Air 540 (white) :: LG 32QK500 2560x1440 :: Razer Pro Click :: Cherry KC6000 Slim ::

Registered+
    Thanks
    Looks like my card istrashed dude.......

Reformatted and im still getting that Even in safe mode i get those type of screens.

New Graphics card me thinks, cheers 8....

Throbbing Member
    Thanks
    • 8bit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z170A-G43 PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM650x
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet Fibre
    RIP your gfx card dude...

Maybe a nice new X1900XTX will comfort you while you come to terms with your loss

Registered+
    Thanks
    Your not gonna believe this m8, it was my 2nd hard drive causing the conflicts!!?? Refromatted 3 times and after the 3rd i couldnt get past the bios screen into windows even with me old man's crappy old ATi card! Anyway i noticed a few times b4 i had the chew that when i went into my comp the 2nd HD sometimes wouldnt show even though the cables were in solid! Cut a long story short took the leads out and im running at full steam!!

Bloody pc's eh, cheers bud

Throbbing Member
    Thanks
    • 8bit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z170A-G43 PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM650x
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet Fibre
    :| wow, must admit I'd never have thought it could have been that!

Oh well, get yourself a nice new X1900XTX to celebrate

Registered+
    Thanks
    i noticed a few times b4 i had the chew that when i went into my comp
    Sometimes i amaze myself with my grammar!!

Yip 2 weeks time shiny new x1900xt woohoo!

l8rs bud

Thread Information