Thread: Disk error and formatting issues with onboard Highpoint on Lanparty mobo

Registered+
    Thanks

Disk error and formatting issues with onboard Highpoint on Lanparty mobo

Hi

This one has really got me stumped.

I have a LANParty Nforce II Ultra Rev A with a AMD 2600+. I do a lot of video editing, so I have loads of HDs: The system one is on the ATA Primary Channel, and 3 AV disks on the onboard Highpoint controller. (The DVD+_Rs are on the secondary Channel).

For a while, things were working OK, then I had disk errors on one of the disks attached to the highpoint controller. Chkdsk seemed unable to fix it (kept finding more errors) until it conked out completely. I ran the Maxtor tools on it; it didnt find anything wrong with it, low-level checks and format, and writing 1's to it, etc, all fine. So I booted back to windows and tried to format it - which looked ok until the end of the long wait when it said 'Could not complete the format'. I tried a variery of things, then finally put in on the primary channel, next to my system disk, and tried it again - it worked.

But I have had more problems with disks on that highpoint controller since, and have now had enough, after 4 HD failures. incidentally, I can recommend a software called Disk Scavenger for getting files out of corrupt disks.

I need a mobo with good HD capability. I havent migrated to SATA yet; thats a possibility. I'd like a dual-core obviously, when they come out. In the meantime, is there anything anyone can suggest to help me out? Anyone had similar problems? Any recommendations on mobos, both for AMD X2 and Intel's new dual-core?

cheers
    -Slay

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group DDR-3000 32Gig
      • Storage:
      • 1x Samsung 870 Evo 500Gb SSD, 1 x WD Red 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT watercooled
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb
    What board bios and Highpoint bios are you using?? I vaguely remember there being an issue with one of the Highpoint bios releases. Therefore try updating bios & raid drivers as a first point of call.

Secondly why were you using a a highly overclockable but notoriously unstable till set up correctly board. Not the ideal platform for video editing. lol

Registered+
    Thanks
    jimborae,

If I had known that when I bought it, I would have reconsidered. Maybe I was suckered by the pretty lights, and the fact it had on-board RAID. Also its the Rev A, not the Rev B, which causes a few problems with timings, and multipliers.

All drivers are up-to-date, including mobo BIOS and Highpoint stuff. I dont have the versions at the moment as I am at work.

If you have any pointers to making it more stable, I'd be only to glad to look at it.

Or if you can recommend a nice stable mobo/chip combo that wont break the bank, I'll do that. I even got a 7800 AGP card recently, and it still stutters around the place on old games. I've just about had enough with it, I've changed my mind. Break the bank. What should I get? I want some decent computer time now..

Any advice appreciated. Any video guys out there who can recommend a decent setup?

cheers
    -Slay

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group DDR-3000 32Gig
      • Storage:
      • 1x Samsung 870 Evo 500Gb SSD, 1 x WD Red 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT watercooled
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb
    Unfortunately I can't give you any specific pointers without knowing all your bios settings & what ram you've got in their. Also what works for my boards may not work your's as we probably run different bioses and with these boards its really hit & miss as to what works.

However, saying that your 7800 is struggling with old games suggests that something is very wrong somewhere. Are things like fast writes & side band addressing turned off and the agp rate set corectly.

Edit * THIS page will give you a good idea of what your settings should be like. Obviously dont use the overclocked settings but it gives you an idea what you should be adjusting.

As for a new rig then I suppose it's got to be an Intel Conroe based system, as it the latest greatest dual core setup. If you want save money then a good s/hand S939 board with agp and any s/hand AMD X2 chip would be a good upgrade.
    Last edited by jimborae; 03-08-2006 at 05:10 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Just to update on this, and maybe get some technical background from you guys...

I tried to install Hitman and XIII on my box, and they refused to run...after a bit of searching on google and a bit of pot luck, i found turning off 'AGP texture acceleration' in dxdiag sorted out my problems and actually made the games run faster than before.

Do any of you know why this helps? Like I said, there wasn't much science to it, I red a post that turning down hardware acceleration would help with some games compatibility and stuttering sound (it didnt, but the AGP check box was in there with them, and it did).

There's clearly some tweaking to do on the LANParty NForce II Ultra to make it work optimally, I just dont have the technical nonce yet to do it. jimborae- I did check your link out, but it seems mainly for newer mobos..I'm afraid I didnt glean much.

Another thing is my disks on the native IDE channels now seem to work fine - my previous problems seem to be a highpoint IDE problem....tell me, can the CDROMS work on the Highpoint Controller? That way, I can keep the disks on the native channels.

Any overclockers out there who have this mobo, who can recommend some BIOS settings?

Soo many questions...! :-)

cheers
    -Slay

Registered+
    Thanks
    just a PING on this one? any ideas anyone? if not, then its new mobo time

Thread Information