Thread: Will not boot up

Thanks

Lightbulb Will not boot up

Hi! All I have Packard Bell computer which was lacking a floppy drive so I installed one (using static wrist band). The computer fires up but there is no show on the screen. The green light is on on the MB and all power seems to be on HD is spinning. I have tried another monitor with the same result, nothing. I took out the Floppy Drive and cable then tried again, nothing. Any ideas?

John

Thanks
    • Max Tractor's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Biostar TA890GXE
      • CPU:
      • 95w 1055T@x4-3.5Ghz-1.15v
      • Memory:
      • Samsung Green 30nm low voltage 2x4GB@1.26v
      • Storage:
      • Corsair 3 60GB-Sandisk Extreme 240GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 7850 2GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic SS-1050XM
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster elite 120(Modd)
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ EW2430
    Is it onboard or a graphics card? I f card make sure it is seated correctly, and check all other cables, makes ure power is off. Failing that a cmos clear might do the trick. Spec might help(I cant get the system spec when I select it on here

Thanks
    It is on-board, I've checked all cables, what is CMOS clear? I am nearly a novice.

The prob started afer I had installed a Floppy drive (There wasn't one when I bought it.) The light on the Floppy stayed on, The floppy wouldn't work but the comp booted OK, I changed the cable round, the light went out but there was no displa when I switched on. I then removed floppy and cable but still no display?

John

Thanks
    Usually there are 2 pins on motherboard which you have to short with a jumper to CMOS clear. Doesn't your manual cover that procedure? Maybe you could try taking out battery from your motherboard and leave it like that for a few minutes and then put it back in. I think that will do the same thing. From your discription, I guess you have installed your floppy connector the other way round on your first try, and that has done something to your bios. I too think clearing CMOS will fix your problem, at least that's what I'm going to try first.

Thanks
    Thanks for that I'll try it. .......later ...I took the battery out for several minutes, I could not find two pins on the motherboard and I didn't get a manual with the machine. I have a book on building computers and it suggests that the CMOS record can only last a minute or two without power so you are probably right that it does re-set the CMOS but it didn't work for me.

John
    Last edited by John Bostock; 15-09-2006 at 12:23 PM.

Thanks
    If that's the case then I think you'll need a spare graphic card to boot with, so that you can get inside bios and make necessary changes. Don't you have one lying around somewhere or do you have someone who can possibly lend you one? I don't know which type of graphic card slot your motherboard has, but if it's PCI card then I think most motherboard will take it.

Thanks
    Thanks for your help, I'll find a graphics card from somwhere to try it. What kind of changes will I need to make in the bios? I realise it may have become corrupted but how do I find out where?

Sorry for my novice status.

John

Thanks
    It would be easier to be moe specific if we knew what motherboard you are using

Thanks
    I only know that it is a Packard Bell 2.8Gh with everything on board bar the modem. There are three expansion slots which are grey and one that stands a little back from the others which is brown and I think will take a Graphics card. The green LED on the Mb is permanantly lit, even when shut down, unless I pull the power plug, is this normal?

John

Thanks
    Brown slots are usually AGP... but there's AGP1.0, AGP2.0 and AGP3.0 slots and I can't tell which one. I think it's either 2.0 or 3.0, if your Dell isn't that old though. So try getting either PCI or AGP graphic card from somewhere and somehow make your way into bios with it and change your graphic option to "onboard", shutdown the puter and take out GC, then try power it on to see if you get video signal this time. I don't know if it works, but that's the only thing I can think of now. BTW, I'm not insulting your inteligence but make sure your monitor cable is connected to the right source(ie graphic card/onboard)when necessary.

Thanks
    If you clear CMOS (reset it) then it may well allow the graphics card to work, but you should be aware that doing so will reset the BIOS admin password to its default (usually bell9 for Packard Bells). I very much doubt that taking the battery out for only a few minutes would really clear or reset the CMOS, leaving the battery out overnight will do it however, so please try that and then try booting.

Thanks
    Thanks again, you are not insulting me, I'm a novice. I'll leave the battery out overnight and see what happens.

John

Thanks
    Thanks for all the help, its working again.

John

Thanks
    Excellent, glad to have been of help

Thanks
    Weldone!

Thread Information