Thread: Newly Built PC Crashing with Alternating tones from the pc speaker.

Registered+
    Thanks

Newly Built PC Crashing with Alternating tones from the pc speaker.

The Problem:
    I am building a new computer for a friend with some of my old components left over from my last upgrade. This computer has a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 Rev 1.0 motherboard, Amd Athlon XP 3000+ Barton, 1gb Kingston Value Ram (2X512), Soung Blaster Live!, 40gb Hard Drive Ide, Sony 12 X CD Burner, Some sort of Compaq DVD-rom and an Old Geforce 2 GTS Card. This is not built to be a gaming machine if you are wondering. Main problem is here after being on for two minutes the screen goes blank and I hear this alternating tone pattern coming from the PC Speakers (not beeps more like lower tones). I looked at the manual for the board about post beeps and it doesnt say anything about this.

What I have Tried So Far:
    So far I have tried both ram chips in a combination of slots and even trying just one ram chip but same results. I tried disconnecting everything except the video card and hard drive but still get the same results. I tried connecting another fan on the side for extra cooling but still nothing.

Does anyone know anything that could be done to fix this problem. I really need to get this computer up and running as soon as possible.

Thanks
    • Hottentot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • Q9550 at 3.8 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB
      • Storage:
      • SSD + HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 7950
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650TX
      • Case:
      • CM HAF 932 (watercooled)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 (x64)
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC 2690WUXi
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 10Mb
    Sounds like a temperature or fan alarm. Can you boot into the BIOS and watch the temperatures and fan speeds in the PC hardware monitoring section ?.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hottentot View Post
    Sounds like a temperature or fan alarm. Can you boot into the BIOS and watch the temperatures and fan speeds in the PC hardware monitoring section ?.
    I can get into that section but it will still crash. What would be considered too hot?

Thanks
    The Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 is known for CPU overheating issues due to poor design - they rotated the socket A so that the heatsink and fan cannot clear air properly. Try running it with as many covers off as you can remove from your case and see if that makes any difference. Otherwise consider a better heatsink and fan.

Thanks
    Hi,

I'd agree with TamDigital. Is the Barton CPU from your old Comp? If so, did you replace the thermal paste between the CPU and heatsink? In addition, maybe check the Fan / heatsink the Geforce 2 are all OK. As already suggested, take the covers off and run it. Maybe blow a fan in and see if that makes a difference - if so there's your prob. If that proves to be the issue, maybe add case fans, if not already present.

Registered+
    Thanks
    It would appear the problem is solved. I replaced the amd stock fan with my old volcano 5 fan. I also noticed that something was stuck in the northbridge fan causing it not to spin. After fixing those things the computer stays on and I can install windows xp finally. Thanks for the help guys.

Thread Information