Thread: Graphics error messing with whole system need help

Thanks

Graphics error messing with whole system need help

hay first time using hexus but i dont no where else to go for help.

This problem started a few days ago when playing counterstrike the game would crash and i would get lines going along the screen and the system would freeze and reset it self after a few minutes so i stopped playing and thinking it would fix itself with a good scandisk defrag ect. so i played dawn of war after 30 sec the game would freeze with same errors lines on screen but to my horror on reset the boot screen would be farked up like a commidor 64 crash there is alternating bloks of colour and smiley faces or random symbols with lines. i can use the bios, windows command promt for safe mode but its hard to see what is going on it dosent seem to be the operating system i can still open run programs i have a screen of my desktop but cant post screens...

"Members are required to have a minimum of 5 posts before they can post any URL's - This is in place to stop abuse of the forums due to excessive spam posts - we are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause"

idea! img175.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitledjn3.png just add the http :// infornt

few screens for veiwing plesure

geforce boot screen

img272.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0618gu7.jpg

Bios screen

img232.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0621it4.jpg

windows loadup

img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0616im9.jpg

i have pics of bios bootup ect from digi cam therre real funky thats if anyone really wants to help. I had to reset the cmos on my comp and reboot about 20 times and repeat to get my system to useable standereds but the problem still persists if i play games. im no expert but it can only be the graphics card or some error with the power supply

im using...

windows xp
    shuttle sn95g5 v1 system
    xfx gefore 6800gt

all my drivers are up to date and i cant work out why this is happaning will naff around with 3d programs potoshop ect see what else causes the issue. any help would be amazing thanks in advance michael.
    Last edited by Mcjohnston; 22-10-2006 at 11:12 PM. Reason: added information

Thanks
    Looks like a knackered video card to me... Maybe its overheating...? Try taking the cover off and pointing a desktop fan at the card. Also while your in there make sure everything is plugged in and screwed down... It's entirely possible something has snapped and isn't getting cooled as it should. If everything looks good (no loose heatsinks / components / burn marks / stalled fans) then try and borrow a graphics card from somewhere and see if that cures the problem.
    AMD X2 @ 2.6Ghz, X1800XL @ 540/600

Thanks
    im really wigging out now i thought i fixed is and stupidy tried playin css for some relaxing killing. but crashed straight away and now i cant get rid of the smiley faces lines and alternating coloured blocks can still get to windows in safe mode but its arsed. been treing all day clearing cmos loading defults in bios but no luck done some research seems other 6800gt have this problem mine about 2 and a half years now guess its had a good run for the £280 i think i payed for it . guess i have to go down to my local novatech and get a new card...... any sudgestions something with same performance but for under £100 would be ace but i cant have a power mad card as my shuttle sn95g5 only has a 240w psu i think! any advice would be welcome again cheers!

Thread Information