Thread: 1st PC Boot Problems

Registered+
    Thanks

1st PC Boot Problems

Hi everyone, just finished building my first PC. Everything seems to work fine, fans are starting, components are recognised during boot. Then "Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk And Press Enter" appears. I assume you insert the XP disk here, but nothing happens. I've tried rebooting etc but with same effect. Seemingly there is also a problem with the USB ports, as whereever I plug in any of my keyboards I still can't get any to work. Many thanks for any help.

My spec is below:

Core 2 Duo E6600
    Gigabyte 965P-DS4 iP965 Mobo
    2gb GEIL ddr2 800 4-4-4-12 RAM
    ASUS 7950gt 512
    2x Samsung SpinPoint 250gb

Thanks
    You need to go in the bios and change the boot order so that your cd drive boots before the hard drive

Registered+
    Thanks
    I thought of that, but neither my PS/2 (or whatever its called) or USB keyboard is recognised. The USB is the same at the front and back panels. Could I have messed up with the cabling?

Banned
    Thanks
    dont use usb one for now just use the ps2 one, there is only one plug for it and its even colour coded. so plug that in hit del f2 whatever i tmay be and go from there

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by harry1 View Post
    dont use usb one for now just use the ps2 one, there is only one plug for it and its even colour coded. so plug that in hit del f2 whatever i tmay be and go from there
    Ps2 keyboard not recognised, no lights on when I press CAPS lock or whatever. Same with a second ps2 keyboard I knicked off my dad. Can't think what could be wrong with cabling etc, as surely there isn't any for back USB ports ?

Banned
    Thanks
    there is no cbaling that is involved with keyboards ports, you have a problem if you dont get post

Registered+
    Thanks
    Well it recognises the CPU, RAM, both hard drives and one of the DVD drives (not the slave). Other parts of the front panel (temp indicater, on/off switches etc) are fine and working (though I cant check the firewire), I can't find anything on the back panel that works, well apart from the DVI output from the graphics card, but theres no on board graphics so that hardly counts. Still trying...
    Last edited by MessiMagic; 29-10-2006 at 11:06 PM.

Thanks
    If niether PS2 keyboards are working in POST, and so not letting you into BIOS by pressing the DEL (or F1 or whatever) key, its sounding suspicously like you've a dodgey connection to the back panel input/output connections on your MoBo. Not being silly, but you do have the keyboard plaugged into the keyboard PS2 socket (usually purple), rather than the mouse PS2 socket (usually green) right?

Thanks
    Maybe a BIOS update will help, my DFI Sli-D board didn't recognize USB keyboards with it's old BIOS, so I flashed it to the latest BIOS with my P/S2 keyboard. Solved

But your case is more problematic, how are you gonna flash if you can't navigate in DOS with a keyboard?

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick77_uk View Post
    If niether PS2 keyboards are working in POST, and so not letting you into BIOS by pressing the DEL (or F1 or whatever) key, its sounding suspicously like you've a dodgey connection to the back panel input/output connections on your MoBo. Not being silly, but you do have the keyboard plaugged into the keyboard PS2 socket (usually purple), rather than the mouse PS2 socket (usually green) right?
    Ha good question of course its in the right socket, and anyway, how could someone plug the USB keyboard into the wrong socket too? I strongly suspect my mobo's faulty. I'll try a few more things then RMA I suppose.
    Last edited by MessiMagic; 30-10-2006 at 10:48 AM.

Thread Information