Thread: Laptop motherboard repair

Thanks

Laptop motherboard repair

Don't ask how, it's depressingly stupid, but I've managed to damage the pins in the memory card reader on my new laptop, so that it now won't read compatible cards. Does anyone know whether built-in memory card slots can be replaced?

Thanks
    If it's new, can't you just replace the whole thing?

blueball
    Quote Originally Posted by gt81 View Post
    Don't ask how, it's depressingly stupid, but I've managed to damage the pins in the memory card reader on my new laptop, so that it now won't read compatible cards. Does anyone know whether built-in memory card slots can be replaced?
    Depends on how they are mounted to the laptop. They could be a plugin extra in whicj case you are OK or they could be part of the motherboard in which case you need a new motherboard.

Thanks
    Just to provide a happy ending, damaged pins or not the slot is now working and working consistently. Tried using my mate's SD card again the next day, and inserting it a few times to check consistently. Laptop read the card 2 or 3 times but then wouldn't acknowledge it anymore. After contacting Acer as advised, and doing a factory reset as advised, it seems to be working problem free. Seems to have been a software conflict somewhere, I suspect the software suite for my Sony-Ericsson phone was at fault, it comes with some Adobe software which automatically reads a card when inserted and displays a thumbnail gallery. Not sure why this was the case but at least I know that any damage is no more than cosmetic

Thread Information