Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ASUS' sub-1kg Classmate PC will retail for £199 - the perfect Christmas present?

Thanks

Re: ASUS' sub-1kg Classmate PC will retail for £199 - the perfect Christmas present?

Yea it'll be great as other manufacturers have to follow suit and then each will strive to be the top/cheapest, so we'll reap the benefits it'll be great...

Thanks

Re: ASUS' sub-1kg Classmate PC will retail for £199 - the perfect Christmas present?

Will it play reasonable res/bitrate DivX smoothly? I see an awesome commuting toy.

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

Noise - well it's er.. quiet. If you put your ear to it when it's busy you can hear the whine of the fan but otherwise i hadn't noticed any.

Battery life - seems fine so far - i've not timed it or anything but i've used it a fair bit (including to play pandora internet radio to myself whislt i took a bath last night) and it seems alright. I'm sure some reviews will post numbers.

DivX - dunno - there's a media player built in - i'll try a test video.
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks

Hmm. So the question is - what is for? Not just you mate, anybody (but I know you can connect to your home machine from work dangel!) Gaming is a no-no - might be good for taking in to meetings I guess...guys, any other uses?
    This hot girl came over to myspace last night, she twittered my yahoo till I
    googled all over her facebook. Ask Jeeves...

System 1: Intel i5-2500k OC STABLE @5.05ghz with a ThermaTake Frio (air power!), 8Gb 1600 (9-9-9-24) R3 Patriot G2 RAM, nVidia GTX980TI ;
    System 2: HP N40L Microserver;
    System 3: MSI 'Ghost Pro' laptop - 16Gb DDR4 RAM, nVidia 970M, i7-6700, 256GB PCIe SSD + 1TB HDD
    System 4: Samsung TAB S 10.1

Dark side super agent
    Thanks

I do a lot of writing while out and about so this sounds right up my street. I can't afford an ultra portable at the mo and my Macbook is a tad heavy for lugging around. The Classmate seems perfect. Small and very light with very fast boot up time. The only fly in my ointment is that Open Office is meant to be a tad clunky but hey! I can live with that
    An Atlantean Triumvirate, Ghosts of the Past, The Centre Cannot Hold
    The Pillars of Britain, Foundations of the Reich, Cracks in the Pillars.

My books are available here for Amazon Kindle. Feedback always welcome!

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Core Gold GC-650
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC CU34G2/BK 34" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlight View Post
    So the question is - what is for?
    All those times you think, 'I wish I had my computer with me so i could look up...'

I could see radiotimes.com being frequently visited while sitting on the sofa, bbc food in the kitchen, messenger always open generally, a saviour for long train journeys. And maybe some old school gaming via an emulator...

Mike Fishcake

Hmm. So the question is - what is for? Not just you mate, anybody (but I know you can connect to your home machine from work dangel!) Gaming is a no-no - might be good for taking in to meetings I guess...guys, any other uses?
    You just answered your own question

Taking into meetings, it's more convenient than a regular notebook, but far more useable than a PDA, also seems robust enough to give to a child for general word processing/internet stuff. There really, really is a market for this sort of thing. We have loads of skint students coming in saying that they just want a cheap laptop and they don't need it for anything other than checking email and word processing. The EEE is cheap, does the job with minimum hassle, Office compatible software and easy to throw into a bag and carry around with minimal effort.

Let's face it, if it can handle word processing, chat, email, youtube and MyFacePartyBookBo then that's 95% of computer users sorted. Most of the world aren't like us geeks, needing BIGGER! FASTER! MORE!

But even though I am a geek...

WANT!

Thanks

Mmm yes. Now I already having a 'gaming' laptop. Yes, it's a 17" behemoth. Yes, it's 'luggable' rather than 'portable'. But, if I need some surfing downstars, I do that. If I listen to my Itunes in the shower, I do that. If I need a laptop at a trustees meeting, I do that. And I do. So I ask again - what's the Eee for?

System 1: Intel i5-2500k OC STABLE @5.05ghz with a ThermaTake Frio (air power!), 8Gb 1600 (9-9-9-24) R3 Patriot G2 RAM, nVidia GTX980TI ;
    System 3: MSI 'Ghost Pro' laptop - 16Gb DDR4 RAM, nVidia 970M, i7-6700, 256GB PCIe SSD + 1TB HDD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Fishcake View Post

Taking into meetings, it's more convenient than a regular notebook, but far more useable than a PDA, also seems robust enough to give to a child for general word processing/internet stuff. There really, really is a market for this sort of thing. We have loads of skint students coming in saying that they just want a cheap laptop and they don't need it for anything other than checking email and word processing. The EEE is cheap, does the job with minimum hassle, Office compatible software and easy to throw into a bag and carry around with minimal effort.

Let's face it, if it can handle word processing, chat, email, youtube and MyFacePartyBookBo then that's 95% of computer users sorted. Most of the world aren't like us geeks, needing BIGGER! FASTER! MORE!
    Ah, cheers. Good answer.

So no point me getting one, giving the fact that I've got a laptop already.

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

Ah, cheers. Good answer.

So no point me getting one, giving the fact that I've got a laptop already.
    No point for you but then that's the er.. point - given a certain set of circumstances it either makes sense or it doesn't. You can BTW 'game' albeit puzzle games
    When i travel for work, go on hols or just go away for the weekend it's nice to be able to stay in touch without the downsides of a 'normal' portable. Let's face it, your laptop is a desktop replacement and if you dropped it on someone it'd a: kill them and b: break your bank account.
    Do the same with this lappy and nobody dies and you don't need to give felacio to the bank manager

I'm not going to justify it - I wanted one rather than needed one - but at the same time it's bloody handy (cos it's the size of a novel) and a fraction of the cost of a 'real' ultra portable. That's not been done before and hence they're shifting bucketloads of them (even with linux on board).

Boys need toys, nuff said. Oh and when I do pop round - I bet you're drooling all over it you techno-whore!
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Mike Fishcake

Mmm yes. Now I already having a 'gaming' laptop. Yes, it's a 17" behemoth. Yes, it's 'luggable' rather than 'portable'. But, if I need some surfing downstars, I do that. If I listen to my Itunes in the shower, I do that. If I need a laptop at a trustees meeting, I do that. And I do. So I ask again - what's the Eee for?
    You keep answering your own questions...

For people that don't want a 17" behemoth!

For people that can't afford a full priced laptop!

I can't see why you really seem to think that there's no reason for people to have one. You don't want one - fair enough, no one's saying you're wrong!

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Fishcake View Post
    no one's saying you're wrong!
    I am

Kidding mate!

Or am I?

Spooky.

Thanks

Yup once some more reviews come out well have a better idea of battery life and what its capabilities are.

Thanks

But, as dangel says, I'm a 'techno-whore' - that part of me wants one! The other other part, the bit that says 'don't be a silly sod, you don't need one, can't afford one' puts up a strong argument!

The techo-whore side is winning though!

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

But, as dangel says, I'm a 'techno-whore' - that part of me wants one! The other other part, the bit that says 'don't be a silly sod, you don't need one, can't afford one' puts up a strong argument!

The techo-whore side is winning though!
    Which side of you decided to buy a 42" plasma the other day then?

Thanks

I hate when you're right!

AND DON'T SAY 'I'm always right'.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information