Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple: we're going to kill your unlocked iPhone!

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Apple: we're going to kill your unlocked iPhone!

Lucky enough to own an unlocked iPhone? Be wary, very wary of new updates.
    Read more.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Shameless's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B-Deluxe Wifi/AP
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1GB OCZ Platinum XTC
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 160GB Maxtor 2 x 750GB Samsung F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Leaktek GTX 280 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V1100 Plus II
      • Operating System:
      • XP & Vista HP 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408WFP
      • Internet:
      • Eclipse Evolution 8MB

Re: Apple: we're going to kill your unlocked iPhone!

So let me get this right...

I buy an £269 iPhone Legit from an O2 store taking out the rip-off 18month contract, but unlock it so I can use it on a Sim only contract (say Orange) with better min/txt, they can 'ruin' the handset that I actually "Bought" through a software update???

Is that actually legal? Surly if you’re buying the handset... It’s yours? I understand that if a network is substantially subsidising a handset they are going to want the business going through them, but O2 aren’t subsidising the handset!

Looks like ill be getting a K850i and an iPod Touch.
    Last edited by Shameless; 28-09-2007 at 01:44 PM.
    Asus P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP & Intel Core 2 Duo Q6600 (3 GHz)
    4GB OCZ Platinum Rev.2 6400 XTC, Leadtek GTX 280
    Creative X-Fi, Lian Li V1100 Plus II & Dell 2408WFP
    Laptop: Sony Vaio FZ18L

Thanks

If enough peeps vote with their wallet, they will soon reverse their decision.

It's a very ill informed decision based on corporate greed.
    Deo Adjuvante non Timendum

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Shameless's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B-Deluxe Wifi/AP
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1GB OCZ Platinum XTC
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 160GB Maxtor 2 x 750GB Samsung F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Leaktek GTX 280 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V1100 Plus II
      • Operating System:
      • XP & Vista HP 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408WFP
      • Internet:
      • Eclipse Evolution 8MB

Quote Originally Posted by vicar View Post

Couldnt agree more! ...But... I would put money on people queueing on November 9th, Too many people dont know the full story...
    Asus P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP & Intel Core 2 Duo Q6600 (3 GHz)
    4GB OCZ Platinum Rev.2 6400 XTC, Leadtek GTX 280
    Creative X-Fi, Lian Li V1100 Plus II & Dell 2408WFP
    Laptop: Sony Vaio FZ18L

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable

I think if anything Apple have just managed to **** themselves royally, especially since users of UNMODIFIED phones are reporting that their devices have been bricked or wiped. Looks to me like a measure that surpasses even WGA in its breathtaking imbecility.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vicar View Post

Quote Originally Posted by nichomach View Post
    I think if anything Apple have just managed to **** themselves royally, especially since users of UNMODIFIED phones are reporting that their devices have been bricked or wiped. Looks to me like a measure that surpasses even WGA in its breathtaking imbecility.
    I'm no apple fan, but your both VERY wrong, this makes perfect business sense, if i thought apple was a company worth buying shares in, i'd be happy.

When you look at some of the growth industries of late, its always driven by little bits of content, ring tones, wallpapers etc. Its a gold mine. Keeping your device completely locked down means that you can make lots of money of it. Apple have a brand that is trusted by many idoits, as such they can enforce whatever they want, they don't have to proove it has better content than others for people to buy it, think how poor the battery life and interoperability of the iPod are, yet how many they sell. Brand, Brand, Brand.

The other thing is by completely locking, and keeping it locked, they will be more stable, have fewer viruses etc. It really does make a lot of sense.

However, i'd sooner drive a screwdriver up my japseye than give up my HTC smart phone for one of these. (its worth noting, its not only un-locked, but even allows neato debuging of .net apps with excerlent developer support.... wounder why i bought that one?).

Until an Anti-Trust suite comes along, they'll be fine.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks

well, its what people get for buying such a piece of rubbish really, who in their right mind would be a smartphone you cant put new apps on, its just ridiculous.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shameless View Post
    I buy an £269 iPhone Legit from an O2 store taking out the rip-off 18month contract, but unlock it so I can use it on a Sim only contract (say Orange) with better min/txt, they can 'ruin' the handset that I actually "Bought" through a software update???
    Given that Apple issued an explicit warning that the update may have serious effects on unlocked phones, it would be you who's ruining the phone by doing something very daft.

Is that actually legal?
    Since it's not on sale in the UK, only US law applies, and this particular aspect hasn't been tested in court. I'd imagine Apple would win simply by stating that modifying the baseband radio firmware violates the terms of the warranty.

I understand that if a network is substantially subsidising a handset they are going to want the business going through them, but O2 aren’t subsidising the handset!
    But they are subsidising the handset, only the subsidy is going to Apple. I don't why people don't understand this. Apple wants to prevent iPhone unlocking because it means they lose money from the contracts.

Thanks

am i mistaken or arent comet selling it ?!?!?

http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/p....do?sku=416606

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

iPod touch != iPhone

Thanks

that's why you shouldn't hop on the bandwagon with these products unless you like to be slaves to Apple

Thanks

I Need U More Than U Need Me ...... for the Job is never finished ...

Ahhhh, isn’t is funny when a masochist complains about the pain being too sharp when he knows full well that his sadistic master is not to be trifled with. More enlightening is the fact that he entered into the “fun & games” willingly and with ecstatic anticipation. Dahlings, learn that the thrill of masochism is in the surprise your hard task master works so hard to enrapture you with. Lie back and enjoy the pain and you’ll soon realise that pain in the aim. Or else he isn’t a sadist and you, his masochist. All the embellishments using technology, chains, whips, entreprenuerism, etc, are just the façade.

Experience and learn that there is no such thing as freedom [of choice, indulgence, desire and what not] if there is no maturity. A 15 or 90-year old juvenille exists solely to be enslaved by his own ignorance and greed/fear for the slave master is only the messenger, whether he is a worm or some president. Others are not the problem for a thief is always a thief. The problem is to fathom why we liked to be mugged or like mugging others. Worshipping through association is an age-old relationship game that people indulge to derive meaning for existing. A virus is blind to its own essence other than to seek out those who are weak enough to accomodate it.

The problem with humans is that they do not understand, let alone realise, that the potential/principle and the kinetic/power have to merge into one entity to enable throughput/balance. [Like in overclocking & heat throughput, say]. Instead, we exist mainly in one state or the other. As they say, money [i.e. accumulation/zero throughput] is like manure. Pile in one place and it stinks like hell. Spread it all around, and it does some good. Fads will come and go but it’s impact on our fear/greed, guilt/anger, etc, will spread and establish mad social/global norms that cannot be easily unravelled. Know it, like it, or not, a little black will turn a large patch of white, grey, even though darkness depends on light and never the other way round. Satisfaction, another word for joy-in-progress [not euphoria or ecstasy] do not emanate from others. It depends entirely on the absolute truth which dwells within all true humans. All we get from others [another word for reaction], is pain for if we do not have joy within, what others do have no meaning to us but when are satisfied, we then bring satisfaction to others, not enslave them.
    Last edited by wheelus; 29-09-2007 at 01:17 AM.

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar View Post
    iPod touch != iPhone
    good programming statement there
    as for them bricking it well thats real gay, but you know everyone, ooo we love apple. if one of the competitors were to make one of the same quality/features without the locking to one exclusive network, or if they did but when you hacked it they didnt care then they would surely take their users.
    but no one ever does take advantage of a situation like this do they.

Thanks

Wheelus: "Money is a sign of poverty."

frankly though, find it amusing that anyone is defending them, is micro$uck did this i am sure alot more people would be pissed off.

but, quite frankly i find it very hard to feel any sorrow for the apple fanboys and ignorant pod zombies that bought an iphone, it just seems like their own fault for buying anything from apple in the first place

Splash

My understanding of the situation is a little different - their wording to me implies that they're simply not guaranteeing that any future update will be 100% compatible with anyone running a modded phone. To me this is simple ass covering

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

I'll happily defend Apple with this choice - as I would defend (and have done so) Microsoft or any other companies doing similar things (WGA for example).

If you modify an iPhones' firmware you are breaking the terms and conditions of use for the said firmware. Purchasing an iPhone (like with almost any product) does mean that you own the hardware, BUT you DON'T own the firmware (software), you just own a licence to use it on your iPhone. So if you modify it Apple are perfectly justified in shutting it down/bricking it. The hardware will still work fine if you want to write your own firmware for it from scratch..and if so then good luck to you

Apple are simply protecting their business interests the same as Microsoft have finally started to do. I still expect Microsoft to one day build in a 'Time Bomb' into WGA so that if you fail it gives you 30 days to become legal or it will stop booting..that would be a very brave move which I don't think would damage their reputation or profits, even if it would make the geek community go mad..which is kind of ironic as the geek community is supposedly intelligent and should be able to see the logic in that

for the record I do want an iPhone, but won't be purchasing one purely because of the fact they are only on 02..who have a poor reputation as it is and no EDGE network to speak of...If only Apple hadn't made their network choice solely on money, maybe Orange (best EDGE reception in the uk iirc?) or Voda could have picked it up which would surely have been a better business decision heh. HTC Touch it is for me then when its upgrade time

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information