Thread: Electronic cigarette makes smoking safer

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Electronic cigarette makes smoking safer

Fancy a smoke without the tobacco, tar and life-threatening side effects? Well, say hello to Gamucci, the electronic cigarette.
    Read more.

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Re: Electronic cigarette makes smoking safer

like you said even if it's harmless I wouldn't even bother trying it anyway. Still feels unhealthy to me. Plus I wouldn't want to get hooked on something which is frankly a waste of money.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

so if smoking isn't cool any more, how un-cool is this thing?

i'm guessing on a scale of un-cool, we're approching miss teen USA stating her intrests as configuring linux (but obviously never actually chaning the code).
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Herr Doktor Oetker, ja!!! pollaxe's Avatar
    Thanks

I think I'll try the patches and see if I can get addicted to them instead.

Thanks

The electronic cigarette is a serious device, and the first that offers smokers a real alternative to their habit. You must remember that although the best course of action is for smokers to quit, some just cannot. The e-cigarette is about harm-reduction and, if successfully promoted, could save thousands of lives. Have a look at the electronic cigarette forum (e-cigarette-forum.com) if you need more information.

Thanks

A decent little device if it's going to help people, anything is worth a try. I doubt that I'd walk down the road with this in my mouth, but I'd certainly use it at home or when around friends.

Luckily, the news that I had a baby on the way was enough to make me give up overnight.

Thanks

I love mine. I love it so much... that I tote it everywhere with me and as a mother of one... it has made my dirty little habit, not so dirty. I also love the environment and from composting to picking up trash, the lack of cigarette butts is huge!

Thanks

There was a thing on the BBC news website on these not long ago, might be able to find it if you search ( http://news.bbc.co.uk ) where they said that basically, the things are untested and have been rushed into sale without any safety or health research, and the unusual mix of chemicals in them can be potentially just as harmful as cigarettes in a different way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Perfectionist View Post
    There was a thing on the BBC news website on these not long ago, might be able to find it if you search where they said that basically, the things are untested and have been rushed into sale without any safety or health research, and the unusual mix of chemicals in them can be potentially just as harmful as cigarettes in a different way.
    There is no doubt in my mind that the best thing is to quit smoking and that electronic or not, nicotine is not good for you... but nothing really is when you get down to it... except water, chocolate and rum

At least with these, I know the second hand smoke isn't going to affect my kid. Should I quit? Absolutely. Have I tried? Absolutely. Am I wearing a patch on my arm right now? You betcha! (lol)

I fall in and out of it and I know how absolutely bad smoking is for me, the people around me and the environment. If I am killing myself anyways... I might as well not kill the kid in the process.

Thanks for the link. I will check it out.

Thanks
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media

Quote Originally Posted by sophie0028 View Post
    I am a chain smoker.. Can electronic smoking make me quit it?
    No..

Will power and the desire alone are needed to help you quit, but these little devices are there just to give you a little fix of nicotine when needed to take the edge off the cravings.

Busy with life
    Thanks
    • burtie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-MA790X-DS4
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II 955BE @ 3.6Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair (2x2GB) TwinX XMS2
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 80Gb Seagate 500Gb Samsung 500Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HiS HD 4850 IceQ 512MB x 2 Crossfire
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX 650W ATX PSU
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-7S
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer X222W
      • Internet:
      • 8Mb Bt

Champix for the win. 6 months smoke free and loving it.

Thanks

I tired one of these that my russian mate had. However when he told me his cousin (im pretty sure most of the russains i knows parents arnt exactly legit workers) was selling them at a good price i did get suspicious at exactly what was in them.

That BBC article makes me even more suspicious.

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks

yeah, I did a quick search sorry for being lazy the first time, all I had to do was type in electronic smoking into bbc news:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7658603.stm

Douglas Bettcher, of the World Health Organisation, said there was a "regulatory blackhole" which meant no-one knew just what these products contain.

"We are facing a new product. We do not know what is in these cartridges besides nicotine.
    Jason Cropper, managing director of the Electronic Cigarette Company, said: "Tests have been done on mice and in the lab and they have shown they are not harmful."
    [..]
    But he said it had not been possible to carry out human trials as they were too expensive.
    Nice to see their priorities are right...

Thanks

To dispell some myths: They are not horribly expensive and actually, you can save half of the money per year as you would in comparison to purchasing real cigarettes. Yes, the units in the mall are ridiculously expensive, but so are their booth rental costs. You can purchase your e-cig online from several different distributors, with different styles for different prices.

As far as the e-cig cartridges are concerned, please visit en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_cigarette#Nicotine_solution - Here you will see the common recipes for the nicotine solution.

To answer Lee's question: You could very feasibly quit with the electronic cigarette. What you should probably do is focus on changing your habit instead of quitting. Quitting is a harsh reality and can lead to failure if you aren't comfortable with it. Just like cigarettes, no two e-cig styles are the same. So look around at the different styles. Figure out which one you would be comfortable with. Get it into your hands. Use it and also continue to smoke. Then, start using your e-cig more. Eventually, you will find that your regular cigarettes begin to leave a really bad taste in your mouth and that revelation alone will help you change your habit to be completely electronic. Then... if you wish to quit, you can "step down" to no nicotine cartridges.

Sure, they have haven't been tested on humans. But when you compare the list of ingredients in a regular smoke to that of the e-cig nicotine, many find they are willing to take a chance.

Another great link is to an interview done by a reporter in Philly abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/health&id=6545331 - Here, they interviewed Dr. Richard Wender who used to be the head of the American Cancer Society and he had gave a good review.

Thanks

ARE YOU SERIOUSLY RECOMMENDING WIKIPEDIA AS A RELIABLE SOURCE, OVER THE WORLD HEALTH ORGANISATION NO LESS???

o_o

Just shock...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Perfectionist View Post
    ARE YOU SERIOUSLY RECOMMENDING WIKIPEDIA AS A RELIABLE SOURCE, OVER THE WORLD HEALTH ORGANISATION NO LESS???

o_o

Just shock...
    Absolutely. The World Health Organization is biased. A study was done on second hand smoke and how it does not cause cancer. After the scientists fought for over a year to even have their study looked at by the WHO, the WHO FINALLY allowed it to be published on their website. If the WHO does not agree with the findings of a scientific study, they simply pretend the study did not happen. That's bias and that leads me to believe that the WHO is not unlike the anti-smoking campaign in that they want absolutely nothing to do with any study unless it proves that smoking in any form should be banned.

There was a study done on the electronic cigarette in Australia on lab mice and the findings were that there was no harm from the electronic cigarette and the claim that they are safe is true. I haven't heard one word from the WHO on this. Not even a mention that tests are being done. Granted, these tests were not on humans. However, billions of women use products tested on mice and they make it into the open market.

Do a search for electronic cigarette testing on mice and you will find hundreds of people mentioning this, but not the WHO. If you still want to see the actual findings, please PM me. I have a pdf of the actual test and will be happy to send it.

telegraph dot co.uk/htmlContent.jhtml?html=/archive/1998/10/11/wsmok11.html - sorry... (my post count is not being updated so getting above 5 to leave full URL's is impossible. dot after telegraph to be removed.)

Thread Information