Thread: Analysis - Apple throws down gauntlet to RIM

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Analysis - Apple throws down gauntlet to RIM

By introducing push email, Apple is targeting the enterprise smartphone market with the iPhone 3G.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Dreaming's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • e6300 @ 2.8ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb Corsair XMS2 PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Western Digital for OS + 1500GB Seagate for Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB
      • PSU:
      • Antec Neo HE 550
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC A05B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista Home Premium x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 22" 226BW
      • Internet:
      • NTL 4Mb/s

Re: Analysis - Apple throws down gauntlet to RIM

"Pricing iPhone 3G at a maximum of £99"

That's seriously cheap! My HTC TyTN II (branded MDA Vario III) was ~£450 in the shops sim free when I bought it but I got it a contract for £15 (should have been £70 but I haggled in the shop).

I think the iPhone is going to be a compelling choice, it must be a making a loss not just in terms of manufacturing costs but the R&D costs too, in order to drive up market share (see: iPod, Microsoft Xbox). The real winner with strong competition like this is the consumer so we should be happy after all .

Still, I'm not sure about the iPhone, never used an Apple product and it does feel like 'selling out' in getting one. I guess that's silly though.. was using a G5 for iMovie at work and honestly didn't have a clue
    Dreaming

C2D E6300 @ 2.8 | | Abit IP35 Pro | | 4GB Corsair XMS2 800 | | BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB | | 500GB Western Digital for OS + 1500GB Seagate for Storage | | Antec NeoHE 550 | | Lian Li PC A05B | | Samsung 226BW 22"

Registered+
    Thanks

I personally want to be able to hate the iPhone but find myself warming up to it.
    I work in the creative media and use mostly Macs in the studio for pretty much everything (video *final cut*, audio *logic and even pro-tools loves macs* and imaging production +djs) I like the consepts of the iPhone but was getting worried that just like the MacBook Air it would lack functionality. The iPhone 3G has added that bit of extra functionality missing.
    What I like about this year is it is beggining to look like a phone more than an iPod. Infact there has been no mention of its iPod features! Indeed the iPhones iPod functionality and touchscreen is what made it win innovation of the year. Now as a phone the addition of 3G, aGPS, an App Store and Enterprice features make it a good phone. The only thing really missing is a decent camera......give it a 5MP camera with ability to record videos and it shoots up to being a great phone.
    >So here is what others have to compete with:-

1.The best iPod - It wins this hands down! Thanks to iTunes music store.
    2. Mobile Internet - Its is one of the best if not the best....that web browser kicks *** They only need to do something about flash please!
    3. Phone - It is now not a mediocre phone. What is even better is its price point. It is very affordable

One thing i also love is it accesories..you can dock it in the car use it with the car stereo, @ home and in the office!

The part B for getting people to use the phone is the network. Let look @ O2
    >I cant stand being tired up for 12 months leave alone 18 months in a world where technology is rapidly evolving.
    > if u compare the £30 and £35 tarrifs the £5 difference adds you an extra 525 minutes and 375 text msgs! That is insane!

I carry 2 phones with me a Nokia N95 soon to be replaced by the N96 and a Blackberry Pearl! I'll wait to see what next yr offers. More precisely what the iPhone has to offer with it 3rd attempt if there will be any. If they add my recomendation maybe then I can go back to the days when one phone was enough! Did I mention I also have an iPod! my pocket is getting heavy, my wallet the opposite!

What next apple...a gaming console...lol!
    Last edited by kimgitz; 11-06-2008 at 12:00 PM. Reason: update and correct a few errors

Registered+
    Thanks

Its not been long since my last post and already found out about two phones that make the iPhone look amatuer.

Introducing the Samsung Omnia SGH-i900:
    >3.2 touchscreen display with *haptic feedback*...take that apple
    >a 5MP camera and another one @ the front for video calling...seee where am going
    >FM Radio not such a big deal
    >Streo Bluetooth...you can her the iphone cringing
    > 8GB or 16GB internal storage....wait for it extendable also bya microSD
    plus all the othe iPhone offerings aGPS, Wifi , 3G

Next up:- Sony Ericsson Cyber-shot C905...this is purely to show how out dated the iPhone's camera is.
    It has a whooping 8.1MP Camera for both video and picture imaging! 8.1 say it with me 8.1...not only that better the camera is better inmore ways than I can metion...auto focus...facial recognition...smart contrast red eye reductionand on and on and on! plus print of upto A3 size
    It has wifi built in..which is new for sony ericsons phones and something called DNLA-support like the N95. aGPS with photo geo tagging

Both phones are expect in June.

in terms of hardware features the Samsung gives the iPhone a knochout straightup. The iPhone has better software features.

Thread Information