Thread: Features - Legends of the MMORPG worlds

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Features - Legends of the MMORPG worlds

MMORPGs have been around a while now but they've started to take on a life of their own in a way the developers never expected...
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Features - Legends of the MMORPG worlds

WoW’s only real claim to fame for the purpose of this article is that it laid the foundations for pretty much all other MMORPGs to come.
    This is not actually true - very few features in WoW were actually new or innovative. WoW is actually more famed amongst the designer community for being a perfectly by-the-numbers combination of existing ideas done as well as possible.

Thanks
    • mediaboy's system
      • CPU:
      • Phenom x3 8500
      • Memory:
      • 2GB
      • Storage:
      • 1320GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD3650 512MB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista Premium x32
      • Internet:
      • T-Mobile Mobile Broadband

I had no idea that EVE was so in-depth! Maybe something I should consider playing at some point

I do wonder whether RvB got watched more by people than the Southpark episode mentioned, but given that South Park is South Park, I'm not really surprised that it hits the top spot for machinama....
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortune117
    Kids are getting smarter, eventually no amount of parental controls will be able to stop them
    I guess we're expected to do quite well

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rosaline View Post
    This is not actually true - very few features in WoW were actually new or innovative. WoW is actually more famed amongst the designer community for being a perfectly by-the-numbers combination of existing ideas done as well as possible.
    ...for the purpose of this article...
    Yes, I know it implemented a load of new features that we never knew we needed and now can't get by without... and I do then list a load of stuff it does...

Where's the damn tongue-in-cheek smiley?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

Quote Originally Posted by mediaboy View Post
    I had no idea that EVE was so in-depth! Maybe something I should consider playing at some point
    Don't do it! It's all well and good saying "great here's a game where people can do what they like" but unfortunately most of the game has devolved into an absolutely horrendous world where no one really ever trusts anyone else. As such a starting player has next to no chance to get anywhere and only those people who'se names are well known enough to a few, can actually get on and play the game.

Personally, I gave up on the game after loosing pretty much my entire 3 years worth of assets. Any game where you can loose your entire "lifes" work over one tiny tiny mistake, or the act of another vindictive 12 year old just isn't worth playing....

(\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/)
    (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=)
    (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(")

This is bunny and friends. He is fed up waiting for everyone to help him out, and decided to help himself instead!

Thanks
    • Dareos's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77 - UD3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 Ivy Bridge
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Geforce 670 OC Windforce x 2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1050 Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" DGM and 40" Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • 152 Mb Virgin

Quote Originally Posted by Lucio View Post
    Don't do it! It's all well and good saying "great here's a game where people can do what they like" but unfortunately most of the game has devolved into an absolutely horrendous world where no one really ever trusts anyone else. As such a starting player has next to no chance to get anywhere and only those people who'se names are well known enough to a few, can actually get on and play the game.

Personally, I gave up on the game after loosing pretty much my entire 3 years worth of assets. Any game where you can loose your entire "lifes" work over one tiny tiny mistake, or the act of another vindictive 12 year old just isn't worth playing....
    Don't play life then mate, i hear its a bitch
    We're only here for the Banter - The Luvvies - Chewin' The Fat

Violence and Lubrication is the solution to fixing everything, if it still doesn't work, you need more lubrication.

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    How do you change the height of them?

I've just had a quick fiddle with the knob at the front :\

7. Received thanks from:

Agent (06-08-2008),JK Ferret (06-08-2008),mediaboy (06-08-2008)

Thanks
    • mediaboy's system
      • CPU:
      • Phenom x3 8500
      • Memory:
      • 2GB
      • Storage:
      • 1320GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD3650 512MB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista Premium x32
      • Internet:
      • T-Mobile Mobile Broadband

You see.. it's details like that that liven up a game for me.

No risk no fun...

I'm the sort of person that'll (on games like WoW) take on suicidally hard matches in ridiculously expensive armour, simply because I've nothing better to do. I've already made the millions...

I give up on games after a while simply because once I've made lots of money, and become fairly well known, or simply just established an industry or thirty (I did this on runesacpe when I still did that.) Of course, games like Travian/1000ad (which I also played for a bit) which don't come under MMORPG be a different story, as they have rounds, so the entire servers get reset...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortune117
    Kids are getting smarter, eventually no amount of parental controls will be able to stop them
    I guess we're expected to do quite well

Thanks

The reaction from EVE players was one of widespread condemnation of Cally’s actions, but served to highlight one of the major shortcomings of online worlds in that there is no effective police for non-aggressive actions such as Cally’s. The game just isn’t set up for dealing with the political and financial machinations that EVE allows players to be part of… but then, that’s why so many people play it and why players such as Rast can get away with it.
    The game is set-up to deal with these issues, its just that many people don't like how its dealt with. Callys stunt was superb - there is no other way of putting it. He planned well, worked hard and it paid off. Fair play to the guy.

As such a starting player has next to no chance to get anywhere and only those people who'se names are well known enough to a few, can actually get on and play the game.
    As a new player to EvE (only a few months) I have to disagree with this. I'm doing fine - have over 100million in my wallet, a couple of battleships, battlecruisers a bunch of other smaller ships. Probably a minimum of around 50million+ in assets if I counted it all up.
    EvE rewards being cautious, but to imply that you have no chance to get anywhere is wrong IMO.

If you lost 3 years of assets, I have to ask - what did you do wrong? What was this "tiny tiny mistake" ?
    The games developers will reimburse for hacked accounts, so I am assuming it was done via legal game mechanics such as fraud. If this is the case, why did anyone have access to your entire 3 years worth of assets?
    Its the number 1 rules of EvE: Don't let other people access what you can't afford to lose. Even as a newbie I've learnt that
    Last edited by Agent; 06-08-2008 at 07:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mediaboy View Post
    Yep try it.
    Its amazingly in depth. I've never played another MMO that comes close to it. WoW just board the hell out of me, to quote Professor Richard Bartle "It has no soul".

The paths you can take are extremely limited in WoW and its a very "carebear" type game. You never really lose anything in WoW when you get killed. The setback is minor.

EvE is harsh - make no mistake about it. But it makes it all that rewarding when you pull something off, or someone elses plan fails.
    Keep in mind though that its a PvP game from the ground up, PvE in EvE can get a bit boring. Get with some friends if you want the most fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks

Agent - 16hrs in one go Eve player.....

As with any MMORPG's play to your hearts content as it will suck up lots and lots and lots of time

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    If you lost 3 years of assets, I have to ask - what did you do wrong? What was this "tiny tiny mistake" ?
    The games developers will reimburse for hacked accounts, so I am assuming it was done via legal game mechanics such as fraud. If this is the case, why did anyone have access to your entire 3 years worth of assets?
    Its the number 1 rules of EvE: Don't let other people access what you can't afford to lose. Even as a newbie I've learnt that
    The tiny mistake was moving my assets through two 0.8+ systems and getting ganked back before they added "warp to 0". Not even by someone actually after the stuff, just some idiots who wanted to blow up as many ships as possible whilst tanking CONCORD.

(\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/)
    (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=)
    (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(")

This is bunny and friends. He is fed up waiting for everyone to help him out, and decided to help himself instead!

Thread Information