Thread: Nick nobbles Dragon NaturallySpeaking10 - part 2

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Nick nobbles Dragon NaturallySpeaking10 - part 2

In the second part of our Dragon NaturallySpeaking10 demo with Simon Howard and Robert Weideman from Nuance, Nick puts the software through its paces with surprising results...
    Watch the show.
    Last edited by Nick; 26-09-2008 at 02:01 PM.

Thanks
    • VictorE's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5N32-E SLI NF680i SLI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 SLACR, Kentsfield Core, Socket 775, 2.40 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB (2x1GB) Corsair TwinX DDR2 XMS2 Dominator, PC2-8500 (1066)
      • Storage:
      • 250 GB Maxtor STM3250310AS DiamondMax 21
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus ENGTS250 1G darknight
      • PSU:
      • Meridian XClio X14 700W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 home premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Cibox 22" C2201 monitorWidescreen Black / Sliver 5ms speakers 1000:1
      • Internet:
      • vigin 50mb

Re: Nick nobbles Dragon NaturallySpeaking10 - part 2

Hey excellent interview Nick hats of to you for keeping a straight face, Dolly parton greatest hits. What were you thinking? On a serious note i think you were spot on mentioning the price and adding it seemed a big ask for a home user product, His reply was abit lets say sssttuttery made me giggle..

Thanks

You should've seen my questions I was going to try... such as place names with swearing in them... but we decided to be mature...

Glad you liked the show though. I have to admit I went in highly sceptical and pretty much convinced I could break it or get it to write gibberish, so I was even more impressed when it actually worked properly.
    Last edited by Nick; 27-09-2008 at 01:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Registered+
    Thanks

It seems to have gone quite a long way since I last tried out naturally speaking (I think it was V6). Although that shameless amazon.co.uk plug is true: only 105 pounds there http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nuance-Commu...2476444&sr=8-2

Thanks

That's the thing though, would you really spend the same price as your OS for a bit of software for home use?

For example, unless there was a physical need, a disability that stopped me from doing anything more than single finger typing, I wouldn't say that your average home user will get much value from it.

However, if you have to deal with LARGE amounts of text, in excess of say, 5,000 -6, 000 words a day, then you might find it useful.

But how many home users find themselves regularly writing that much, even on a weekly basis?

I suppose you could quantify it by figuring out how long it takes to type a letter and how long it takes to dictate a letter and then working the time saving figures up from there so you have an idea of how quickly it pays for itself... but it's a Sunday, the bacon sarnies are nearly rerady and I'm off for a coffee and nosh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

I suspect it's a fair bit more than most people spend on as OS, because other than enthusiasts like us, large numbers of people's OS is an OEM version installed by the PC manufacturer.

But I agree with the point. For people (like me) doing a lot of text input, Dragon is a very good productivity tool. I've been using it for years, and getting results that while not perfect have certainly been good enough to make it well worth-while. But then, as a writer, I do indeed handle a fair bit of text. Add to that that my mind works a fair bit faster (and more accurately) than my fingers, and Dragon is a win-win tool for me.

But for most home users? At that price point? I don't see it happening, or certainly not in large numbers. Business users where time = money, yes. Home users? Nah.

Thanks
    • stevie lee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair 3600 MHZ Cas 18
      • Storage:
      • 250GB BX500, M500 240GB, SN750 1TB NVME, mechs - Hitachi 1TB. WDblue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • sapphire 7700 1gb
      • PSU:
      • corsair RM550X
      • Case:
      • Xigmatech Midgard
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • 42" Panasonix viera (1080p limited RGB)
      • Internet:
      • plusnet fibre

nice bit of software, though I think its far in advance of what we at shopmobility could ever use. £74 is a lot to ask for this charity. It might come in handy for entering all the health and safety stuff our admin has to do but other than that, it wouldn't really go used that much. Just for the time-out and time-in of the scooters, which is literally 4 digits for each one.

nice editing split-screen work by the hexus.tv crew.

Thread Information