Thread: News - XFX to sell ATI (AMD) graphics cards in the new year

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - XFX to sell ATI (AMD) graphics cards in the new year

No longer an NVIDIA-only house, it seems.
    Read more.

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Re: News - XFX to sell ATI (AMD) graphics cards in the new year

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=16611
    Perhaps it was a case of NVIDIA laying down the law one too many times, or, more likely, XFX needed to diversify its interests a little.
    Or perhaps their NVIDIA cards were that crap they needed to start selling the ATI cards to get more money. Tell you what I still won't be buying one of their ATI cards

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

*touches wood*

I have 2 XFX cards kicking around....an 8800GTX I bought in Jan 2007 that got a damn good innings until I replaced it recently and relegated it to my secondary PC.....and the recent purchase of an 8600GTS for my server.

Both are working fine (I know I shouldn't have said that!)

In fact, the only gfx cards I can remember owning and dying were a Sapphire X1900XTX (which I got refunded) and a Gainward 6800GT, which IIRC died a few months after selling it to a Hexus staff member

Considering how many cards I have bought over the years, I have been fairly lucky.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • Noxvayl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigabyteZ87X-UD4H-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengaence LPX + 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Snadisk + 256GB Crucial SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire R9 380
      • PSU:
      • ENermax Platimax 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by moogle View Post
    Or perhaps their NVIDIA cards were that crap they needed to start selling the ATI cards to get more money. Tell you what I still won't be buying one of their ATI cards

Although this is brilliant news for ATI/AMD I am with you on this one, still won't touch XFX with a barge pole.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Kerotan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P5Q-E
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600 G0
      • Memory:
      • 4GB OCZ ReaperX HPC
      • Storage:
      • 2* WD 320GB, 2* HGST 160GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeForce 8800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Define R2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7/Linux Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" Cibox
      • Internet:
      • BT

My XFX 7900GS was top notch, even though I had to saw through part of the bracket with a junior hacksaw to fit an aftermarket cooler, whilst swarf and filings got lodged in the DVI ports and coated most of the PCB, it still worked perfectly until I swapped it out for an 8800GT two weeks ago, I'm still keeping it as a backup.

Registered+
    Thanks

Well, I've had two XFX cards (6800GS, and an 8800GTS which I still regret buying the 320MB version, grr). Both performed flawlessly.

So, Moogle, whom WOULD you buy from? I'm still considering a 1GB 4870 of some sort, but have no idea which manufacturer to go for, leaning towards Asus purely based on my luck with their motherboards.
    -Casimir's Blake
    Psychedelic Tektoniks From The Berenices

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chis View Post
    So, Moogle, whom WOULD you buy from? I'm still considering a 1GB 4870 of some sort, but have no idea which manufacturer to go for, leaning towards Asus purely based on my luck with their motherboards.
    OOOOOOOOoooooooooooh!

Are you angry at me for not liking XFX?

Me I would go for BFG and then EVGA. Firstly because I have been with BFG since I got a 6600GT from them. EVGA second because their Europe department never respond to my emails or questions. Secondly BFG and EVGA have the longest warranties, XFX's is 2 years (sure I'm not gonna use the card for that long but I pass it on to my family so if it goes wrong I like to have it with warranty), and the reason why I'm still on BFG rather EVGA is because they actually respond to my emails quickly even late at night or in the morning (USA tech support replying to my mail but they know their UK stuff too, which is great). Thirdly I choose BFG before EVGA because their UK RMA base is in Wales compared to EVGA's one in Germany IIRC and I don't know where XFX's one is but if anyone knows do tell. BFG also don't require you to send the card's original box when RMA'ing to cut down on postage costs for you sending it to them, don't know if others do this too so feel free to share your RMA experiences with us.

From what I've been seeing, mainly people buying the XFX cards have had them die/DOA or be faulty etc. The other card manufacturers haven't had posts about them failing on these forums here. Could be because XFX is cheaper everyone gets it from them I suppose (probably why their black edition card is so cheap to convince users to buy them, whereas the other manufacturers cards at the same spec or higher are a bit more expensive). Also from what I've seen on the forums here, if XFX can't replace the card they'll offer a partial refund which would probably buy a card of similiar power off eBay. BFG and I think EVGA will replace with an equal or greater card. I've seen some users experiences with BFG where they get upgraded to a 8800GTX when their 7900GTX cards went faulty.

Also there was a recent thread where XFX has a "special" procedure for their graphics cards when RMA'ing, so even if the shop finds it faulty (lets say your card has been sent back for RMA'ing to your retailer and has taken 3 days total, from sending it off to them finding it faulty), it has to get sent to XFX for them to check as well, prolonging the time not having a card or system running (which is why I got a spare as well just incase ).

Good enough reasons?

But if you like shaithis and Kerotan, have had good experiences with them or no problems at all, don't change your choice because of me or my reasons.

One Great Ordeal!
    Thanks

<snip>
    BFG and I think EVGA will replace with an equal or greater card. I've seen some users experiences with BFG where they get upgraded to a 8800GTX when their 7900GTX cards went faulty.
    </snip>
    Quite an essay there Certainly my experience with BFG tech during RMA has been very good. Rapid response to emails as well! I sent away a faultly 6800 Ultra and got back a 7800 GS no questions asked let alone receipts / invoice needing to be sent! I got it second hand from here as well!

Another partner selling ATI cards I do see as a good thing, hopefully bringing prices down from the other makes I wish BFG Tech sold ATI cards, I'd not hesitate to buy one!

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by digit View Post
    Quite an essay there Certainly my experience with BFG tech during RMA has been very good. Rapid response to emails as well! I sent away a faultly 6800 Ultra and got back a 7800 GS no questions asked let alone receipts / invoice needing to be sent! I got it second hand from here as well!

Why thank you. I do my fair bit of research when I'm buying things I don't know about
    Your experience is what I was talking about.

Take a look chris I didn't pay him to say that

Thanks
    • Noxvayl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigabyteZ87X-UD4H-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengaence LPX + 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Snadisk + 256GB Crucial SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire R9 380
      • PSU:
      • ENermax Platimax 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

Since Moogle didn't mention one ATI board partner I thought I might answer your question for him.

HIS, Gigabyte and Gainward are good manufacturers who make ATI cards. HIS is my favourite because of there ICEQ series custom coolers which are amazingly quite and efficient, plus they look really cool with the glowing plastic they use

Gigabytes new HD4870 with Ultra Durable 2 features seems like a solid performer(I say seems because I haven't tried one or know of anyone with that model, I personally have a Gigabyte 8800GTS which is fantastic).

And then the Gainward Golden Sample series is well known for its quality and performance so is a safe choice as well Unfortunately Gainward don't have a 1Gb version of the HD4870

11. Received thanks from:

moogle (15-12-2008)

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ExHail View Post
    Since Moogle didn't mention one ATI board partner I thought I might answer your question for him.
    Oh my goodness I completely skipped that bit didn't I?
    I'm not all clued up on the ATi side of things when it comes to warranties and support. But just by having a sort of skim across the manufacturers if choosing an ATi card purely on support I would go for a Gainward card based on the fact that their RMA base is in Germany (PowerColour seems to report a California base, Palit a Hong Kong one and the others I can't get any sort of info from their site). These manufacturers really don't help ATi's sales do they

As for cooling or performance I really don't know any, but ExHail does and theres some reasons there

Registered+
    Thanks

Oh my goodness I completely skipped that bit didn't I?
    Yes, that might be because you were too busy venting about XFX! Methinks someone has too much time on his hands?

Quote Originally Posted by ExHail View Post

HIS, Gigabyte and Gainward are good manufacturers who make ATI cards.
    Thanks ExHail, I'll keep them in mind. Going to wait and see if there will be any on sale in the next month or so, first. I'd be interested to know if anyone else have any experiences with these manufacturers. I've had a few Gigabyte motherboards... in fact I still have a Socket 5 (!!) one housing a Pentium MMX 200 somewhere. Great for playing Realms of the Haunting and Blood.
    -Casimir's Blake
    Psychedelic Tektoniks From The Berenices

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Yes, that might be because you were too busy venting about XFX! Methinks someone has too much time on his hands?
    Nooooo I didn't

Hey I like to know what I'm getting when I buy with "X" manufacturer, can you blame me for knowing all this?

Registered+
    Thanks
    • mc6415's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X4 920 @ 3.3GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB DDR2-6400 RAM 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 1x 250Gb SATA drive and 1x 80Gb SATA drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD4850 512Mb GDDR3 (My baby)
      • PSU:
      • OCZ 550W
      • Case:
      • Gigabyte Poseidon (Silver)
      • Operating System:
      • Vista and Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gateway 19" 1280x1024 (got it for £50 can't complain)
      • Internet:
      • ADSL24 8Mbps (soon to be 24Mbps)

Well I'm an ATi person, and was an AMD man before the merger, the only XFX related equipment I've ever had was a shoddy PSU, that went bang shortly after purchasing it, that ordeal has put me off XFX for ever, I'd never touch another one of there products, even if it carried the ATi logo.

Thread Information