Thread: News - Christmas quarter sales down 10% at DSGi

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Christmas quarter sales down 10% at DSGi

In the 12 weeks ended 10th January 2009, like for like sales across the group were significantly lower.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: News - Christmas quarter sales down 10% at DSGi

Can't really see how this was anything more or less than expected. Weak sales in nearly every sector apart from food (and the mighty Tesco's results were poor, which I'm very pleased to see), and tech sales are always hard hit. DSGi might actually run out of money if we're lucky!
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    ...... and the mighty Tesco's results were poor, which I'm very pleased to see....
    ?

Group sales for Tesco in 7-week period to Jan 10th up 11.6%.

UK like-for-like sales excluding petrol up by 2.5% in last quarter, and if adjusting for the VAT reduction, that's 3.5% up. And up, at that, over very high previous figures.

Doesn't seem that poor to me, especially given the conditions .... unfortunately, since like you it seems, I'm not a Tesco fan. As a result of the abysmal service I received from them, I refuse point-blank to use them.

Thanks

Sainsbury's, Aldi, Liddl, Morrisons results ALL substantially better. Aldi, Liddl and Morrisons up 20+%. Do Tesco's look good now? Tesco's as a corporation are greedy, vicious, nasty and downright devil like in their business practices, as has been proven many times....and as they have a virtual monopoly, they can get away with things that others just dream about!

Thanks
    • dave87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus
      • CPU:
      • i5 3470k under Corsair H80 WC
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 240gb SSD + 120gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus HD7950
      • PSU:
      • XFX 600w Modular
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A05FNB + Acoustipack
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell S2309W (1920x1080)
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Option 2

Shouldn't it be 'Sales down 1%'?

The revised stores removed from the total would leave them behind last years totals by its very nature?

Thanks

I'm an IT Professional and years ago I wouldn't touch PC World with a barge pole as you had to sell a Kidney to buy anything at PCW. You could pretty much bet that something sold in PCW could be bought a lot cheaper online. These days things have changed and they are pretty good with a lot of prices and even price match. The floor staff aren't great in the knowledge department but then again it takes years to get a good standard of IT knowledge. Plus if your on a low wage there is possibly little incentive to learn or care.

What does scare me though is the Tech Guys level of knowledge as they for the most part seem to be press ganged into being a Tech Guy and some of them don't have a clue (Again there will be the odd good one). I've heard Tech Guys with customers telling them all sorts of rubbish just because their skills/knowledge are lacking to sort the issue out. They also made a total hash in fixing my mothers friends PC. They wiped her PC without telling her for a faulty RAM problem which I could of told them it was and then charged her for the privilege of doing it. Stay away from their support but the shop itself is getting better.

Thanks

I disagree, the last 3 times I have visited, the prices were at least 20% higher than I could find online, and some stuff (Radeon 4850 sapphire @ £150 anyone, going price at the time was more like £125) a good 33% higher. I asked about the difference between an acer aspire netbook running linux and one running xp home to be told not much, they run the same stuff... I expect shop retail stuff to be more expensive, but the stock they had was just plain old in some cases, and the staff knowledge non existant. I can't remember but one item they had was 50% more than I'd seen it earlier in the day, not in a sale....how can they possibly justify that?

Thanks
    • dave87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 240gb SSD + 120gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus HD7950
      • PSU:
      • XFX 600w Modular
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Option 2

3d candy, I think you are missing the point.

I know, if I wanted, that I could find hardware on ebay for less than it would cost at various online retailers, but, for various reasons, I prefer to spend my hard earned with a company rather than an individual. It doesn't take that great a leap of the imagination to say the same for my parents' generation, that they would rather buy something from a physical presence, rather than an internet one.

The price differences you mention likely do exist, but if they are on products they purchased a while before and they don't sell that many, should they sell that stock at a loss? Or, alternatively, take the hit in sales and sell to those who value the product enough they are willing to pay. The prices in any shop are an invitation to treat, doesn't mean you have to buy it there, or indeed anywhere.

Price justification? Do they have to? I mean, yes, to the board, to the shareholders, but because you personally do not believe the price they are charging is fair, it doesn't mean anything.

With the question of staff knowledge, yes, that is one area where most stores can improve. However, you aren't likely to get IT professionals working in retail stores, as the pay or rewards just aren't there. The best you can hope for is that in a university town there are students working at the branch you happen to visit, as from my own personal experience, they know a whole heap more than some of their colleagues.

The old adage, 'You pays your money, you makes your choices' or something to that effect rings true here, and if you want to buy an item at a premium price because there are other factors which motivate such a difference, then go ahead, if not, nevermind.

However, the real battle that DSGi and many other retailers are fighting at the moment is the increasingly savvy nature of the public. 10 years ago, Joe Bloggs would trawl the high street for the best deal, and buy it there. Nowdays, the likes of Kelkoo et al make it ridiculously easy to find the cheapest price from retailers not only in the local area, but nationwide, and where they are losing out, is not in their traditional customers, but those with little to no loyalty to any store or brand. It is this area which has meant the tech retailers in particular are struggling to find more and more innovative ways to differentiate themselves from the internet stores they have little chance at competing with on price.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Sainsbury's, Aldi, Liddl, Morrisons results ALL substantially better. Aldi, Liddl and Morrisons up 20+%. Do Tesco's look good now? Tesco's as a corporation are greedy, vicious, nasty and downright devil like in their business practices, as has been proven many times....and as they have a virtual monopoly, they can get away with things that others just dream about!
    Aldi and Liddl are exactly the type of company you'd expect to do well in a recession, and people switch to saving money wherever they can.

Sainsbury are abit better than Tesco, but not hugely so. VAT-Adjusted like-for like sales growth (excluding petrol) was 4.9% (*) as opposed to 3.5% for Tesco. If a company can maintain sales, let alone grow them, in times like we're having right now, then they're not doing so badly and many retailers would sacrifice their first-born to be doing as well as Tesco. I still can't see how their figures are "poor".

As for their corporate attitude, I don't disagree.

(*) Figures according to Sainsbury chief exec, Justin King, and the Tesco figures as per Tesco official data to Stock Exchange.

Thanks

I agree with the savvy nature regarding consumers, and I agree with many of your points, both regarding dsgi and sainsbury's. however to take both of them one at a time, dsgi have HUE buying power, and because of the savvy nature, if they don't reduce their prices they will die. end of story. they must realise this, change and either reduce prices or innovate in some other way. computer users are more likely to be able to trawl the internet, I didn't even mention ebay and sole traders, I was thinking of larger etailers, no names mentioned. my point is that if they continue in this fashion, they will be dead and buried. my mother is convinced the high street is doomed, and so are many of her age group (60+), woolworths was an institute which was reduced to a bargain hunt during its last days. as a large retailer they must ensure the staff are better else there is no point in going there. i can't advise close friends and family to shop there as they won't get a decent service, i might as well buy everything for them....

Re: Tescos....they have performed better than sainsbury's for years, now out of all the major food retailers they reveal the worst set of figures. granted their market share is huge, granted their turnover is too. but to be beaten by sainsburys must hurt. and i've been told that morrisons figures are super (up 20% like on like has been talked about) and they're saying they will create 5,000 new jobs. in that context, the figures are poor.

sorry about punctuation, my nice shiny microsft keyboard doesn't wanna play ball....capitals are hit and miss!

Thanks

PS - nice to have a debate too - well argued and both sides of the argument put forward....

Thanks
    • Bunjiweb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte UD
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 3.6GHZ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 2950GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 550 Ti OC
      • Case:
      • Alienware 7500
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" HannsG HG281D
      • Internet:
      • Virgin V.I.P. 60mb

As a Currys employee I am not surprised by the announcements in some ways as PC world have had a terrible peak season and have not performed as expected. Currys stores however are faring better with some stores trading up LFL 50-60%....

In Cheltenham, the recession has not hit yet, and I am sick of people asking me for discount "because I might be out of the job soon anyway"... Ridiculous.

Ben
    =========
    NOTHING TO BE SEE HERE, MOVE ALONG PLEASE....

:: of all the things i've lost i miss my mind the most ::

Thanks
    • dave87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 240gb SSD + 120gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus HD7950
      • PSU:
      • XFX 600w Modular
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Option 2

PS - nice to have a debate too - well argued and both sides of the argument put forward....
    Yup, I try only to attack arguments, not the person posting them

It does seem to be though that Currys/PC World/DSGi has an image in the UK which it needs to change if it is to prosper. Now there are a number of ways to do that, but it all takes time. From their adverts, they appear to be trying to appeal to the John Lewis market - the TVs that were in their offers were in the higher price ranges, etc.

If it works for them, then fantastic, but I still think they need to change the attitude of some of the staff in some stores if they want to prosper.

Thread Information