Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neuros OSD - one device to organise all of your media

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Neuros OSD - one device to organise all of your media

The Neuros OSD is just the kind of gadget that we like, its open source nature claims endless possibilities as it aims to organise your home entertainment centre. Does it succeed?
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Neuros OSD - one device to organise all of your media

I wish the review had gone into a little more detail.

What settings are available on record? What resolutions - I see 640*480 but what about 640*352 for WS or 576*432 for 4:3 or is it configurable however we want? What file formats/codecs? What bitrates? What is the quality like (subjective)?

What devices can your record to (USB stick, memory card, NAS or PC over network connection)?

A/V devices often give you more questions than they do answers. I'm still waiting for Hexus to respond on my offer to review the Ellion digital video recorder (a little like this) and I'd have done this too

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

A very tidy method of creating a library of all your DVDs.
    how is this different from ripping? something that is banned on the forums, yet here you are suggesting it in a new article.

Cool little device though. I agree with Methanoid though, not a lot of depth in the article.

The community involvement, how does it work? is everything in the firsware update, or are there optional modules or plugins, like the Thecus module system for their NAS boxes, that you can install over and above the firmware.

Are there new skins available?

What is the scope of the openness of Neuros? Is everything GPLed, or is it just not locked down and a few API's have been published?

I know I could go and look, but this is Hexus, you readers are going to be expecting that kind of technical details

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback chaps, always appreciated.

I've updated the article slightly and Methanoid, here are the bits you asked for:
    Recording proves to be useful, but playing back is less so. The OSD records in the standard MP4 format and though a choice of quality settings are available upon recording, the standard 640x480 VGA quality doesn't quite live up to expectations in today's high-definition world. Available resolutions are; 320x240, 352,240, 512x384, 640x480 and 672x448. Video bitrate options scale from 256kbps up to 2500kbps and audio, recordable in MP3 or AAC format, has a maximum bitrate of 128kbps.
    with playback, recordings can be saved to any device you choose to connect, including networked locations. Another handy recording feature is that the OSD comes complete with preset recording settings for devices such as Sony's PSP and Apple's iPod. Selecting any such preset will define all recording resolutions and settings as appropriate for playback on the chosen device.
    Funkstar:
    The OSD's standard theme and indeed its standard below-average screensaver can be changed with a little tweaking, but I would have preferred to have something a little easier on the eye straight out of the box.
    As for the community involvement, anything new is delivered via firmware updates. If Neuros approve of community-created components, they'll consider implementing them into a future release.

In terms of openness, almost all of the source code is released under the GPL.

I've also added a few more external links to the last page of the review, the link to the developer wiki may be of interest.

Thanks again for the feedback. If you've any further questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks

Parm

Nice work thanks... would I be really taking the pee to ask if there are any clips recorded at the higher resolutions from a good source so we could see? Just 10 seconds or so of each?

I'm seriously interested in this device. Obviously good for playback of downloaded content but I'd like to see how recorded content compares to downloaded content in quality terms. Hell the record to iPod feature might even get me buying an iPod!

Thanks

I'll see what I can do, if I have time this evening I'll capture some TV for you. At the latest, it'll be tomorrow.

7. Received thanks from:

Methanoid (29-01-2008)

Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Quote Originally Posted by Parm View Post
    I'll see what I can do, if I have time this evening I'll capture some TV for you. At the latest, it'll be tomorrow.
    Now would you have permistion from the rights holders to capture and distribute that TV?

Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

As for the community involvement, anything new is delivered via firmware updates. If Neuros approve of community-created components, they'll consider implementing them into a future release.
    Thats a bit of a shame. I would have prefered a plugin or module architecture along with a skinning engine. This makes it less attractive to me.

I'll take a proper look at their site and community though, I do still like the idea f this box.

Thanks

Cough cough

Thanks

Sorry Methanoid, I tried to do it yesterday but I ran into an ever so slight problem when I slightly tore one of the RCA cables.

I'm getting a black and white picture as a result but I'm on the search for another cable / means to connect it to any video source. Will get something up for you when I have a solution.

Thanks

Sorry Methanoid, I tried to do it yesterday but I ran into an ever so slight problem when I slightly tore one of the RCA cables.

I'm getting a black and white picture as a result but I'm on the search for another cable / means to connect it to any video source. Will get something up for you when I have a solution.
    oh dear. No worries... just worried U had forgot!

Thanks

Right Methanoid, you've no idea the troubles I've gone to in order to get this video clip. My hands are bleeding and my body is battered and bruised.

Well, maybe not quite that bad but sheesh, I need more connectors and cables in the house. Anyhow, couldn't hook my freeview up but I used the spare video output connector on my Xbox 360's RCA cable. Hooked that up to a RCA out to video in, hooked that up to the Neuros and hey presto, I had a source.

My cabling probably didn't help the image quality but nonetheless, it's about the kinda recordings you'll get. The following clip is of the Xbox 360 in use, recorded at 640x480 and 30fps. There's no sound unfortunately, couldn't hook that up but hope you find this handy.

Download link: RapidShare: 1-Click Webhosting

Thanks

Thanks!

Thanks

Parm, I appreciate the effort you made - it gives me a good idea of the quality.

There seems to be tons of interlacing type effects (I assume due to the X360) and I guess the total lack of any red is due to the cables being at deaths door? In any case it should not be down to reviewers to provide samples. I am surprised Neuros don't as it might help them sell more.

I've been a videophile for many years - as a Dazzle DVC2 users everyone checked out clips before buying and I was involved in developing capture apps and integrating them with stuff like Digiguide. This looks like a fun device and being able to record straight to PSP or iPod is a worthwhile feature.

Thanks

Hey guys, this is FJ from Neuros.

I will make sure we add a page with recorded clips. We had a page available but it got lost when we redesigned our site.

Also know that we are currently developing a new firmware on which we use Qtopia for our GUI. That will not only allow us to do more fancy things we our UI, but will also allow 3d party developers to develop applications more easily (including skinning).

Thanks

Thanks, be sure to post here when the samples are sorted and give us the link.

Personally I'd like to see samples taken from a high quality source but in varying resolutions and bitrates. The "Xvid scene" has guidelines for what makes a good Xvid release for TV shows etc and these seem to work well.

How about

640*352 for a Widescreen capture with 1000k for video rate, audio at 128k rate
    576*432 for a Fullscreen capture (same data rates)
    320*240 iPod profile
    whatever for PSP profile

I'd also be interested to know when you have some info on the skinning process. That would address criticisms about the UI somewhat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information